U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2015, 09:40 PM

2,436 posts, read 1,847,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Kook View Post
He's quoting the line from gin and juice
My point still stands. He states there's "drama in the L-B-C." Drama doesn't automatically mean not nice, ghetto, lots of violence, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 10:00 AM

300 posts, read 310,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Most of the worst ghettos on earth are in tropical or subtropical climes, with, yes, grass, and often palm trees.

What does a tree type have to do with whether an area is ghetto?
I think the heat causes more people to be out of the house, but also agitated. That's been a running theory in Chicago. As soon as the temperature goes above 40, people go outside and that's when problems start.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:03 AM

4,926 posts, read 4,335,076 times
Is Compton still ghetto???? I heard it was middle class and mostly safe, working class Latinos does not a place ghetto. I defer to the LA natives on this matter.

Old 08-14-2015, 10:19 AM

300 posts, read 310,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Is Compton still ghetto???? I heard it was middle class and mostly safe, working class Latinos does not a place ghetto. I defer to the LA natives on this matter.
I've gone, but that was in the middle of the day and I was driving by. Just saw some families BBQ, others walking around, and others front porching it. I didn't get off the car though. Didn't seem as bad as any of the ghettos I've seen in Chicago/Gary or West Baltimore.

I think a major difference that people don't factor in is cleanliness. LA, for everything I love about it, is not the cleanest of cities. You still see garbage on the freeways, lots of tagging and barely standing store fronts. And this can be anywhere in LA, including Hollywood. So in LA, to an outsider, if you didn't see the stars, you would think Hollywood is more of the hood than Compton. I've also seen this in Echo Park, parts of Glendale, and Eagle Rock. Compton, in comparison is pretty darn clean. The people there take care of their houses and streets for the most part. So it doesn't look any worse that tons of good parts of LA.

Chicago is perhaps one of the cleanest cities in the US, if not world. You're in a clean area, and you know you're in a good area. The hood, however, is pretty damn dirty. You'll see graffiti, boarded up windows/doors, burnt down buildings, messes on lawns and a bunch of people will look at you funny, even if you're just driving through. Compton, no one really cares as long as you don't give off a vibe that you're looking for trouble. Once you do, it'll find you pretty quick. On my 2nd visit ever to LA, my hollywood tour guy and I were talking and he told me he lives in Compton, because that's all he could afford. He said his neighbors in his building are all nice and most people are pleasant. He said he hasn't been approached by anyone yet, but he was also explained, if you mind your business, you'll more than likely not be fine.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:12 AM

1,564 posts, read 916,516 times
Owl,Chicago is not even worse than Detroit or Oakland, Its worse than N.y & L.A because N.y & L.A have the strictest laws in America....Chicago at it's worse was in the 70s or 90s i believe & it's bad again now due to the project's being tore down so that caused a major problem.

But Los Angeles right now is going through one of its most brutal years in a long time, Crime rates have risen to early 2000 levels & multiple gang wars have the lapd on tactical alert right now,9 dead & 16 shootings over 1 weekend is worse than any Eastcoast ghetto right now....Palm trees & nice weather shouldn't fool you into thinking everything is Paradise.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:20 AM

600 posts, read 569,662 times
Chicago has been plagued with political corruption for a very long time. Look at the Governors that have went to prison in that state. They have been increasing taxes there for many years to pay for the underfunded pensions. Gov. Bruce Rauner is trying to steer the state in the right direction, but it will take a long time if it ever happens.

I like Chicago and it's a great city, I've always enjoyed visiting, but it's still in a downward spiral.

Old 08-14-2015, 11:31 AM

1,223 posts, read 830,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe25 View Post
Owl,Chicago is not even worse than Detroit or Oakland, Its worse than N.y & L.A because N.y & L.A have the strictest laws in America....Chicago at it's worse was in the 70s or 90s i believe & it's bad again now due to the project's being tore down so that caused a major problem.

But Los Angeles right now is going through one of its most brutal years in a long time, Crime rates have risen to early 2000 levels & multiple gang wars have the lapd on tactical alert right now,9 dead & 16 shootings over 1 weekend is worse than any Eastcoast ghetto right now....Palm trees & nice weather shouldn't fool you into thinking everything is Paradise.
lol 155 homicides as of August 8, 2015 compared to 158 as of August 8, 2014. Shootings are up quite a bit but that's a nationwide trend.

You don't actually look things up before you talk nonsense do you? LA isn't worse than "any east coast ghetto," especially Baltimore but also Newark, Philly, Camden, DC, Jacksonville, Miami, and if you want to include Atlanta then that too.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:06 PM

1,564 posts, read 916,516 times
Joey,Why don't you come visit the city & stop using Google to report how many homocides have taken place like a police detective,Here in South Central there's a brutal gang war right now & the city hasn't seen this much crime since 2003.....Media calls it 100 days,100 nights of violence but in reality the streets know exactly what it means, Show me an Eastcoast city thats involved in a real gang war where 16 shootings have hit in a weekend, Your just in your feelings over anything Cali related, Btw those Eastcoast cities your in hooray about are infested with Los Angeles Gangs ,Baltimore, Nyc,Newark new jersey, Atlanta is really filled with Cali gangs so get in the streets for once & off your keyboard playing internet warrior .

Old 08-14-2015, 10:00 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,079,146 times
Quote:

don't know about Oakland. They are not too different. Palm trees look nice than say rubble, wreckage, abandoned dirty houses and buildings.

Quote:
Btw those Eastcoast cities your in hooray about are infested with Los Angeles Gangs ,Baltimore, Nyc,Newark new jersey, Atlanta is really filled with Cali gangs so get in the streets for once & off your keyboard playing internet warrior .
like half or more of the people in those places ain't from or never been to l.a. and even half of los angeles or any other major city has never been to many big places let alone out of state or their neighborhood.

and why would lots of them go to said places or more outside l.a. and the west coast. You can say the same too about gangs and thugs coming into l.a outside of los angeles and the state.

Last edited by owl6969; 08-14-2015 at 10:15 PM..

Old 08-15-2015, 07:20 AM

1,223 posts, read 830,214 times
Quote:
Joey,Why don't you come visit the city & stop using Google to report how many homocides have taken place like a police detective,Here in South Central there's a brutal gang war right now & the city hasn't seen this much crime since 2003.....Media calls it 100 days,100 nights of violence but in reality the streets know exactly what it means, Show me an Eastcoast city thats involved in a real gang war where 16 shootings have hit in a weekend, Your just in your feelings over anything Cali related, Btw those Eastcoast cities your in hooray about are infested with Los Angeles Gangs ,Baltimore, Nyc,Newark new jersey, Atlanta is really filled with Cali gangs so get in the streets for once & off your keyboard playing internet warrior .
This Thursday night alone in Baltimore 3 killed 12 shot.
29 shootings, 9 killed in one weekend in Baltimore. Population 600k.
29 Shootings, 9 Fatal, Over Memorial Day Weekend In Baltimore CBS Baltimore

Last weekend in Philly 6 killed and many more shot. Population 1.5 million.
Violent July weekends: Why Philly had its highest monthly homicide rate in 3 years

Both Baltimore and Philly have more homicides than LA already this year and LA is nearly 7 times the size of Baltimore and almost 3 times the size of Philly. And no these cities are not filled with CA gangs. There are CA gangs in some of these cities but they don't make up a significant number of the gangs in these cities.

Don't know why a Californian is whining about a very few west coast gangs on the east coast when west coast gang call themselves "Crenshaw MAFIA" or "Mob" and nickname themselves after NY mob figures like "Gotti."

Don't know why it comes as such a surprise to you Kobe. South Central LA is very attractive compared to the ghettos on the east coast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqruvUIion4

Last edited by joeyg2014; 08-15-2015 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or