U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-07-2010, 07:21 AM
 
Location: LA, US / Malmo, SWE
314 posts, read 286,964 times
Reputation: 246
Default U really call Compton a ghetto?

I was visiting LA a couple of months back..
All my life I've been hearing about "the worst ghetto in the US" called Compton in south central LA. I went there to check it out. I drived through alot of streets including the whole Compton Avenue and I just gotta ask if Compton has looked like this all the time or it has just gotten alot better over the last few years?

I mean, we have tons of hoods in SWEDEN (EU) that is far worse than Compton and the whole South Central, and many of them we don't even call ghettos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-07-2010, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,365 posts, read 51,646,460 times
Reputation: 16192
Doesn't sound like it:
"Compton is a great place to live, work, and raise a family.
Compton is rapidly emerging as a large industrial center for transit and distribution, business services, high technology, and financial services.
The City is developing a wide range of economic opportunities that will help to make Compton a prime destination for residents and businesses."
from

Hub City | About Compton (http://www.comptoncity.org/index.php/About-Compton/hub-city.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 AM
 
Location: United States
2,497 posts, read 3,845,546 times
Reputation: 2106
I know, we drove through there about a year ago and I did not understand all the hype. If CA residents consider Compton a "ghetto" they have obviously not witnessed the true oppression of ghettos in St. Louis, Gary, Detroit, Chicago, Houston etc.
Being a midwesterner and being used to Chicago and Detroits thugs and stories of murder I found even the worst areas of Los Angeles nowhere near the filth of the midwest's vagrant areas. Not to mention ours are also plagued by horrible weather conditions and homeless people actually being found frozen to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,365 posts, read 51,646,460 times
Reputation: 16192
Got to love Google Maps street view. I just picked a couple random locations in Compton, both residential and a main boulevard. Doesn't look too bad.

compton, ca - Google Maps

compton, ca - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 AM
 
Location: Windermere, FL
267 posts, read 537,158 times
Reputation: 131
California ghettos look okay during the day. It's at night that they earn their reputation.

I understand what you are saying though...when I first moved here from the south the ghettos here didn't look bad at all. Back home, you knew you were in the the hood...some houses looked like mud buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Pasadena, CA
1,028 posts, read 1,742,427 times
Reputation: 731
Palm trees really help make an area feel less Ghetto
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 12:04 PM
 
Location: City of Angels
1,288 posts, read 3,460,086 times
Reputation: 637
It's all relative. By LA or Southern California standards, Compton would be the ghetto mostly due to the high crime rate and history of gang violence. However, based on aesthetics alone what's considered ghetto here might look more like a working/middle class neighborhood in comparison to the ghettos in Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, and NYC, etc. Ghettos in East Coast and Midwest cities typically don't include single family homes with nicely manicured front lawns.

Appreciate your perspective. You wouldn't believe the number of silly Americans on this forum who claim LA looks third world. They have no idea what they are talking about because they haven't traveled out of the country in most cases and don't realize that even Europe has slums far worse than anything one would see in Southern California.

Last edited by TheRealAngelion; 01-07-2010 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
47,264 posts, read 37,235,402 times
Reputation: 19494
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
I was visiting LA a couple of months back..
All my life I've been hearing about "the worst ghetto in the US" called Compton in south central LA. I went there to check it out. I drived through alot of streets including the whole Compton Avenue and I just gotta ask if Compton has looked like this all the time or it has just gotten alot better over the last few years?

I mean, we have tons of hoods in SWEDEN (EU) that is far worse than Compton and the whole South Central, and many of them we don't even call ghettos.
Yes, it is a ghetto and no, it certainly isn't the worst in America, not by any stretch..It has improved but still isn't a safe place for people to be just wandering around in especially at night. The crime rate is high, there are projects in the area and the residence are primarily working or should we say, non working class. Again, it isn't as bad as Detroit, Chic and some of the ghettos in the along the east coast. Yes, Palm trees do wonders.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 12:21 PM
 
Location: United States
2,497 posts, read 3,845,546 times
Reputation: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Palm trees really help make an area feel less Ghetto
I can't describe how much your post just had me laughing!!! So true, so so true lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 PM
 
Location: United States
2,497 posts, read 3,845,546 times
Reputation: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
It's all relative. By LA or Southern California standards, Compton would be the ghetto mostly due to the high crime rate and history of gang violence. However, based on aesthetics alone what's considered ghetto here might look more like a working/middle class neighborhood in comparison to the ghettos in Chicago, Detroit, Baltimore, and NYC, etc. Ghettos in East Coast and Midwest cities typically don't include single family homes with nicely manicured front lawns.

Appreciate your perspective. You wouldn't believe the number of silly Americans on this forum who claim LA looks third world. They have no idea what they are talking about because they haven't traveled out of the country in most cases and don't realize that even Europe has slums far worse than anything one would see in Southern California.
Exactly!

nmnita- Did your not see in the L.A. times this week that Los Angeles is at a 50 year crime low????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top