U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:01 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,748,468 times

Advertisements

There are actually quite a number of apartment downtown, but most of them are not cheap. The few ones that are are going to be somewhere like Skid Row or are otherwise more transitional housing for people getting off/trying to avoid sleeping on the street. Downtown is great, but not on a budget.

If you're seeing 2 BRs listed at $750 it could be a roommate situation, not the actual entire apartment. That would be a reasonable price for one room of a $1500/mo. two-BR apartment.

Where are the jobs? Not to be overly cynical, but there aren't any open jobs. Or at least not many. Don't expect a job. There are lots of people out there looking for work, including those with lots of experience.

I love Craigslist, by the way. There are scams, but they're generally very obvious to spot. (such as any 2 BR that is advertised as $750/month. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.) A lot of the smaller places advertise only on CL. DowntownVentura gives excellent advice on avoiding the scams. I've had great success with CL, as have many of my family and friends (both as renters and as landlords).

Hollywood and West Hollywood have a ton of "hot" restaurants. No guarantees any of them are hiring, though. There are also some semi-affordable places in or near Hollywood, although not as cheap as what you're hoping to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 10:15 AM

3,115 posts, read 6,988,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I love Craigslist, by the way. There are scams, but they're generally very obvious to spot. (such as any 2 BR that is advertised as $750/month. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is.) A lot of the smaller places advertise only on CL. DowntownVentura gives excellent advice on avoiding the scams. I've had great success with CL, as have many of my family and friends (both as renters and as landlords).
I agree with this! Of course there are scams - but they're not hard to spot - and frankly CL is the very best place to find a place owned by a landlord with only a few properties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Hollywood and West Hollywood have a ton of "hot" restaurants. No guarantees any of them are hiring, though. There are also some semi-affordable places in or near Hollywood, although not as cheap as what you're hoping to find.
And something to consider, the "hot" restaurants hire "hot" servers - mostly aspiring actors and models - so if your Dad is hot, great, but if he's not prepared to trade on his looks, he might have better luck looking in the surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or