U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:52 AM

76 posts, read 172,085 times

Advertisements

In the SGV there are some areas that aren't gated, but the streets are designed so there are very few entry points into the tract.

Most of the expensive property is on a hill or behind a large gate. There are a fair number of large properties all over the SGV with some kind of hedging that makes it difficult to see the house. It's pretty low-key.

But overall, you're not going to get the "rich neighborhood" vibe in a big way, except in San Marino or along the Arroyo.

I suspect that's what people want. There are a lot of wealthy people in the SGV, but you can't always tell.

Also, there were once Jews in the SGV, but the ethnic pockets have basically shrunken as people have dispersed over the generations. There was once a substantial community in Monterey Park and Montebello, something of an extension of the community in Boyle Heights. (In fact, I think Jews and Armenians, and Catholics of course, outnumbered WASPs down there, and still do, but today are a tiny minority. LOLz.)

Today, I bet there is a Jewish presence in Pasadena. There's a temple there, and the area is very dynamic. People from all over the world move there. So, it won't be an ethnic Jewish community like Fairfax or other Boyle Heights expatriates, which is basically an old working class community. It's probably more middle class and professional or technical, as there's a lot of that kind of work in Pasadena.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 06:04 AM

13,879 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
When people say the Valley, they mean San Fernando. I have never heard anyone from Pasadena say "I live in the valley"...LOL.
You'd be surprised how many out-of-staters confuse the two!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:12 AM

13,879 posts, read 13,545,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
I can't think of any gated communities in the San Gabriel Valley. There are mansions that have their own gates especially around....
When I think of gated communities, I think of those in Palos Verdes or Newport Coast. The "gated" communities in the SGV are, as you said, houses behind a gate....there are many, many of the latter in the SGV. Maybe we should clarify the term "gated community." For example, just a couple of blocks away from where we live, there's a newer development of about 20 homes built behind a gate. But I don't consider that a "community"; it's just a street that's not accessible to the general public.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 AM

7,413 posts, read 7,826,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
When I think of gated communities, I think of those in Palos Verdes or Newport Coast. The "gated" communities in the SGV are, as you said, houses behind a gate....there are many, many of the latter in the SGV. Maybe we should clarify the term "gated community." For example, just a couple of blocks away from where we live, there's a newer development of about 20 homes built behind a gate. But I don't consider that a "community"; it's just a street that's not accessible to the general public.
Exactly. There are some private areas behind gates that can include trailer parks or retirement communities but nothing like one sees in the Palm Springs area where entire sections for blocks are gated.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:55 AM

25 posts, read 48,814 times
Thank-you all for very useful information. I was thinking of country club gated communities and realize now one cannot equate florida real estate to calif real estate. Therefore, a gated street would be nice, especially the one mentioned with an enclave of twenty newer homes. Where exactly is that area? We just do no want to be in a busy city, but more in a surb feeling. My husband is from San Fran, but lived in Marin Cty (Mill Valley) for 25 yrs, so he is use to privacy and houses not on top of each other. I did not realize Pasadena is in the SGV. I thought the valley was always San Fernando Valley. Any other areas to look at (I guess forget the gated communities) where the commute to Pasadena is reasonable (under 30 min). Thank-you all again so much !!

Old 10-17-2010, 03:12 PM

559 posts, read 1,075,526 times
I'll second the recommendation for La Cañada Flintridge which is a relatively short, northwest trip on the 210 from Pasadena. It is a wealthy community and has an actual country club:

La Cañada Flintridge Country Club

I have no idea if they have gated sections or not. It's about 1/3 Asian so I don't know if that exceeds your comfort level.

The part of Pasadena just to the south of Caltech has large homes on massive lots. The individual homes are often gated but not the area.

Although parts of the westside and the Valley (I've lived in neither) are associated with a large number of Jews, I can't think of any time that I didn't have Jewish friends which is an indirect way of saying that they live all over the area. I never heard any of my friends complaining of feeling like a token Jew or discomfort in any way but I'm not Jewish so maybe they didn't want to confide in me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or