U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 11:48 PM

675 posts, read 4,134,175 times

Advertisements

I lived in Costa Mesa in Orange County for a few years and am now living in Chicago. I'd love to move back, and I'm aiming towards Long Beach. So, I've been curious and have been looking at studios on Craigslist, just to get an idea of whats out there and what to expect. I'm seeing a ton of them under $800 with a lot of specials (like first month free, etc). I was expecting to see higher prices, but is this about the price range a studio would go for right now? Lots of them say they are very close to the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 07:26 PM

74 posts, read 175,679 times
Yes, that is right. They will be close to the water but the studios are TINY!!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 02:28 AM

190 posts, read 354,729 times
$800 might be too low for a Studio in Long Beach. Not that they wouldn't be decent looking, but I would be careful of the type of neighbors you might have.

Still I would say look around because there are deals, and you can find them. Just make sure you check out the area both day and night before you make that commitment. In the area near the beach, stick with these neighborhoods, Belmont Shores, Belmont Heights, Naples, Alamitos Beach, and downtown, but no further than 4 street to the north. There are areas past 4th that aren't bad either as I live downtown north of 4th Street myself and I like my neighborhood. But for someone who isn't already living in the area, plus I don't know what your comfort level is, neighborhoods such as Belmont Shores, etc. would be my best suggestions.

One thing for sure Long Beach is a great city, and it has a lot of good things going on. Downtown Long Beach is certainly on the up swing in many ways. But if your budget is $800, you can find a decent downtown studio, but personally I would feel more comfortable telling you to look for an $800 Studio in (you could be fortunate) Belmont Shores/Heights, and or Naples, and Alamitos Beach. Should you pick downtown Long Beach, go for one thats at least $1000-1300 and you'll get a very nice place in most probably one of the highrise buildings, and or an ocean view in a swanky part of downtown.

Last edited by LA Fan; 02-21-2010 at 03:02 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 02:55 AM

364 posts, read 863,367 times
I agree with LA Fan. I used to live in a studio apt in downtown Long Beach but the area has since been razed over for development. Which is a shame as it was close to the (then) mall and to the Blue Line station. And it held up nicely as I was living there during the Northridge quake.

But back on point - try to spend that $800 in a roommate situation if you can. Otherwise, I echo LA Fan's advice to spend a tad more.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:43 AM

725 posts, read 2,461,960 times
I would probably be leary of ads that say "close to the water" if they don't give you an exact address that you can googlemap. $800 for a studio might a) be a really tiny studio in a better area or b) a decently sized studio in a bad area.

Parking in Long Beach is as big of a problem as it is in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or