U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:13 PM

21 posts, read 109,704 times

Advertisements

recent news in South Central L.A. for the last couple months

Police fatally shoot man running from party in South L.A. - latimes.com

Birthday party shooting leaves one man dead - latimes.com

LAPD interrupts gun battle in Harbor Gateway; 3 hurt - latimes.com

Two students wounded at party near USC campus - latimes.com

Watts driver fatally shot by sniper - latimes.com

Man fatally shot in South Los Angeles - latimes.com

Shootout with LAPD officers closes parts of South L.A. - latimes.com

3 people wounded in shootings in South L.A., Sun Valley - latimes.com

West Adams shooting leaves one dead - latimes.com

Man shot to death in car in Jefferson Park - latimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 PM

2,550 posts, read 3,318,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
I think you watch too much "Sons of Anarchy".

As someone who lived in the LA area in Hollywood, the Valley, and a couple of other places I never saw any motorcycle gangs over a 20 yr period.

In fact the only time I remember seeing any real biker activity was one year watching that large charity event that went through Glendale into Atwater Village one year with hundreds of bikes.
I see biker activity all the time. Especially Mongols.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:43 PM

430 posts, read 1,395,488 times
South Central LA and East LA stay away from, everything in West LA I'd say is safe, but can be touristy.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 33,928 times
To the people on here that grew up in bad parts of Louisiana, I feel you from where you are coming from, my great aunt and uncle live in Monroe, Louisiana. As for LA police being trained to stay on top of things I will tell that they are not. ( Ask anybody of the Rodney King beating that was on TV) Talk what you know not what you don't know,then again there are some places in Georgia and other states in the south that if your black you better be gone by dark

Old 09-28-2011, 01:57 PM

3,162 posts, read 8,321,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPTfoelife View Post
To the people on here that grew up in bad parts of Louisiana, I feel you from where you are coming from, my great aunt and uncle live in Monroe, Louisiana. As for LA police being trained to stay on top of things I will tell that they are not. ( Ask anybody of the Rodney King beating that was on TV) Talk what you know not what you don't know,then again there are some places in Georgia and other states in the south that if your black you better be gone by dark
hmm.

Old 11-07-2012, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,674 times
I am from East New York...Brooklyn
NY. I have a good friend in Montebello. which is in the San Gabriel Valley . I visit LA quite often walking miles all over the city. Taking the train and bus, hanging out. Everyonewants to be respected, if you show respect you get respect. LA you're. perfect...but I love ya!

Old 11-08-2012, 04:16 PM

2,435 posts, read 2,719,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt971x View Post
South Central LA and East LA stay away from, everything in West LA I'd say is safe, but can be touristy.
Well yes because we know that stereotypically, South Central LA and East LA are bad places full of non white bad people. And West L.A. and beyond is perfectly good. Right?

Old 01-22-2013, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,456 times
I grew up on Cedar and 17 wassup haha )

Old 02-10-2013, 03:10 PM

4,290 posts, read 3,937,233 times
What about the west lake Macarthur park area? Pico union, Ktown and mid city? How are those areas these days? Still alot of gang activity?

Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,756 times
I think most people realize that all cities have areas that are bad, so-so and good; and safety can vary within those areas.

What I think most people mean when they ask what are areas to avoid, they want to know mostly about gang activity. Yes psychotic people live all over the world, but most violent crimes that are not drug or gang related, are committed by someone the victim knows. Also, telling someone that just don't enter neighbourhoods that look decrepit and dangerous, means absolutely nothing to someone who's never been to the city they're asking about and needs the information to keep in mind when planning their stay. Many people have mentioned Inglewood as being a not so good area, do a search of hotels in LA area and Inglewood has a ton, so a tourist could end up staying in an area many of you deem as not safe without even realizing it.

Once a tourist gets to the area they can judge from there, but before they actually arrive in LA they have only one real resource for knowing what areas to avoid, and that is asking people online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles