U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 08:25 AM

3,780 posts, read 2,393,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
Please, list them by neighborhood names. South/Central or South Los Angeles will be meaningless to us. We thank you,
South Central and South Los Angeles are neighborhood names. Not sure what you'd like us to help with here, tbh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
No, you don't need a rental car (although it can be nice), and one of the best way to really experience non-tourist LA is to take public transportation.
Yeah, good luck with that.

Having lived in L.A. for 14 years, I speak from personal experience - if you want to optimize your time and see as much as possible in a short trip, not having a rental car at your disposal isn't even an option worth considering. Otherwise good luck getting from LAX to Pasadena.

Yes, taking the rails across the Southland is a good way to see the neighborhoods surrounding the railway tracks. No, it's not a practical way to see L.A..

Old 02-26-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
here is the list of places to avoid

Pomona, Hawthorne, and Long Beach, West Covina, and Gardena.
You're joking, right?

Sure, let's just dub the Fairplex, Queen Mary and the Aquarium (just to name a few) no-entry zones and be done with it. But do send visitors to Cudahy and East L.A..
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Add to that list the following areas: the Valley (east of the 405 fwy), Venice
Yeah, don't go to Universal Studios or the Venice Beach boardwalk, either.

Have you people ever been to L.A.???

Last edited by highlanderfil; 02-26-2014 at 08:51 AM..

Old 02-26-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
in the Inglewood section, when we went to get our Alamo Rental Car
It's an airport area, there's nothing to see there (not talking about all of Inglewood which has the Forum and the racetrack), so, yes, vagrants will sometimes sleep there and it won't be pretty.
Quote:
the Jewelry District, where in both parts we were accosted by undesirables
Seriously, you're from NYC and are bothered by "undesirables"?
Quote:
and in the town of Fallbrook, in North San Diego County, where we encountered some discrimination having to do with our slightly-accented speech.
And this is why "worst" is such a subjective term. To most posters here, "worst" means "you'll get mugged", not "you'll get discriminated against based on our accents".
Quote:
Also, travelling from the Lake Havasu area into the California border, we were singled out by a car with four men in it, which we allowed to put time distance between us, to avoid becoming victims. We never wear jewelry, or look ostentiously with designer clothing, flash money, or bring attention to ourselves, yet........
This can happen anywhere. Does this mean that Lake Havasu is a "bad" area?
Quote:
Coming from NYC, with its disctintive and highly-segregated ghetto areas, that are easily identifiable, we tend to belief that all other states fall into the same pattern, or category which obviously Los Angeles, does not, due to the vast amount of mountains, canyons, etc. And we want to make sure, we do not make the wrong turn into one of those protected -gang areas, and get shot at. The last time we visited Los Angeles, we stayed at a rented house in LaFlint Ridge, and had a wonderful time there, as well as in Pasadena.
Generally it does, but the pattern is a lot more checkered.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:10 AM

Oh, damn it, I didn't realize how old this thread was, derp. Oh well, I still stand by my general statements. Would be nice to hear from OP if she managed to escape unscathed.

Old 02-28-2014, 12:20 PM

29,125 posts, read 21,134,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But what we are trying to tell you, this really can't be done. Almost every section of Los Angeles has crime, but that doesn't mean they are not safe. There is no name for South Central for instance, except So Central. Highland Park and Lincoln Heights are not exactly places you would want to be wandering around in, but there isn't much to see there anyway. I just don't think there is a good answer for your question.

Nita
Why would you want to steer someone away from King Taco?

Old 02-28-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why would you want to steer someone away from King Taco?
"I got a breathtaking view of the king taco, it's lovely. I see people getting shanked outside every day!" George Lopez

Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM

70 posts, read 55,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Miranda:

Forget area names. I'm sorry, but that is not going to help you any, as others have tried to explain to you.

You're a New Yorker? I've never been to your fair city, but I still have a decent area of where I should not go if I am fearful of crime, by virtue of the internet and general information disseminated in the general American culture.

But, knowing me, I would probably go to some of these places anyway.

For LA? You probably want to know where to stay away from, but my wild guess is that at least one of your nieces wants to see what "the 'hood" looks like.

If you absolutely, positively want an area to stay away from, here goes:

It is:

Bounded on the north by the 10 freeway
Bounded on the south by the 105 freeway
Bounded on the east by the 710 freeway
Bounded on the west by Crenshaw Blvd.

This area has no name in particular, and I've passed through it a number of times with no harm done to me or my car. I have no quarrel with it nor would I hesitate to go through it or even in it. But you asked.

It encompasses South Los Angeles (including Watts), most of South Gate, Lynwood, a little of Compton (there, now you HAVE to see the 'hood! ), Bell, Cudahy, Huntington Park, some of Commerce and Vernon, some of Inglewood and the View Park/Baldwin Hills/Baldwin Village area of LA. Oh, and don't forget about the west side of big, bad East LA.

Many people will say that there are many, many, many other areas in the LA in which to find trouble, so I'm sure between this information from myself and whatever you get from other posters (locked in their gated commmunities while their Dobermans and Shih-Tzus bark at their dark-skinned gardeners and pool-boys), you'll be limiting yourself to Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood and Beverly Hills, as well as the beaches. (and even Hollyweird can be dangerous at times)

Even within the "dangerous area" that I have delimited, there are things to do and see. Someone mentioned the Watts Towers; there is Exposition Park near USC with all those different Museums; any number of joints that sell good soul food....there is the Forum, the Sports Arena, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Most people will find the area I've encompassed not to be that bad all around.

But you sound like the kind of person that wants all the stoplights to be green before you head out of the house on a trip.

Would you advise me to avoid Harlem if I was to visit New York, since it has a bad reputation?

Would you tell me to avoid Yankee Stadium in the South Bronx just because the area has problems?

Would you tell me to shine on Queens just because it is ill-spoken of in "Men In Black" and all I wanted to do was to see Archie Bunker's house?

Or that I shouldn't drive on the Grand Concourse in Brooklyn because it passes through some not-so-savory looking places?

People on the board, I figure if people want something badly enough, you just give it to them. What is she going to do, sue us for sequestering her inside of an "LA utopiaville"?

More likely, something will go amiss at one of the tourist areas (criminals hang out at THOSE, also) and she will be back here to complain about how LA is a trashy no-good craphole of a place, when she could have grabbed a bit of mac-n-cheese and sweet potato pie in the Crenshaw district and had no problems whatsoever.

It's her loss. I hope her nieces are a little more adventurous.
Grand Concourse is in the Bronx. But anyway I am from the Bronx and now live here and youre points are great. Heck no to your questions. Queens is huge, has like 2 million people in it. Anyone who would say "queens is bad" is lazy. Living in NYC I never avoided anything, have been in the south Bronx, harlem, central park, by myself at night, never thought twice about it (I am white). Now here in LA people say "Carson's not so nice, don't go near Lancaster, don't go to see Watts Towers, don't go past Inglewood." Please lighten up people. Have some common sense, don't goo too late, don't go down alleyways, maybe don't be alone, but heck people of color are not looking for trouble. Most of them go to work each day and go home to their homes and apartments just like us white folk. They are not thugs hanging out on the street waiting for honky to come to their hood.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:57 PM

1,827 posts, read 3,294,203 times
Quote:
I just listen to "west coast" rap songs to find out which neighborhoods to be careful about or avoid. For example, from Dr. Dre:
"Bodies bein' found on Greenleaf,
wit there ****** heads cut off,
m*********** I'm Dre...."
So, put Greenleaf Blvd in Compton on the list of "places to avoid in L.A." - they cut people's heads off!
Was just there this morning and saw nothing but tired old (but still post World War II, I think) houses and people cleaning up at the park across the street.

They were nice at the nearby Target, too.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:14 PM

1,827 posts, read 3,294,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick1218 View Post
Grand Concourse is in the Bronx. But anyway I am from the Bronx and now live here and youre points are great. Heck no to your questions. Queens is huge, has like 2 million people in it. Anyone who would say "queens is bad" is lazy. Living in NYC I never avoided anything, have been in the south Bronx, harlem, central park, by myself at night, never thought twice about it (I am white). Now here in LA people say "Carson's not so nice, don't go near Lancaster, don't go to see Watts Towers, don't go past Inglewood." Please lighten up people. Have some common sense, don't goo too late, don't go down alleyways, maybe don't be alone, but heck people of color are not looking for trouble. Most of them go to work each day and go home to their homes and apartments just like us white folk. They are not thugs hanging out on the street waiting for honky to come to their hood.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles