U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 04:23 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,744,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But what we are trying to tell you, this really can't be done. Almost every section of Los Angeles has crime, but that doesn't mean they are not safe. There is no name for South Central for instance, except So Central. Highland Park and Lincoln Heights are not exactly places you would want to be wandering around in, but there isn't much to see there anyway. I just don't think there is a good answer for your question.

Nita
Although this is also evidence of the varied opinions you''ll get from this site; I wouldn't cross Highland Park off the list, for example, if there are things you want to see there. There are some great restaurants, the fabulous Galco's Soda Pop Stop, Judson Studios, the LAPD Museum, Heritage Square, etc. I don't feel unsafe going there (although personally wouldn't be comfortable wandering around on the streets at night), but others feel differently.

I do agree with Nita that what you are asking can't be done, and that while an area has crime that doesn't mean it's not safe.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 07:07 PM

1,827 posts, read 3,294,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
I have been to the TOURISTS AREAS of California and now we want to do many other areas of Los Angeles, and not the Tourists areas. We are asking to name the AREA names, so that we will stay away from those. Thank you,
Miranda:

Forget area names. I'm sorry, but that is not going to help you any, as others have tried to explain to you.

You're a New Yorker? I've never been to your fair city, but I still have a decent area of where I should not go if I am fearful of crime, by virtue of the internet and general information disseminated in the general American culture.

But, knowing me, I would probably go to some of these places anyway.

For LA? You probably want to know where to stay away from, but my wild guess is that at least one of your nieces wants to see what "the 'hood" looks like.

If you absolutely, positively want an area to stay away from, here goes:

It is:

Bounded on the north by the 10 freeway
Bounded on the south by the 105 freeway
Bounded on the east by the 710 freeway
Bounded on the west by Crenshaw Blvd.

This area has no name in particular, and I've passed through it a number of times with no harm done to me or my car. I have no quarrel with it nor would I hesitate to go through it or even in it. But you asked.

It encompasses South Los Angeles (including Watts), most of South Gate, Lynwood, a little of Compton (there, now you HAVE to see the 'hood! ), Bell, Cudahy, Huntington Park, some of Commerce and Vernon, some of Inglewood and the View Park/Baldwin Hills/Baldwin Village area of LA. Oh, and don't forget about the west side of big, bad East LA.

Many people will say that there are many, many, many other areas in the LA in which to find trouble, so I'm sure between this information from myself and whatever you get from other posters (locked in their gated commmunities while their Dobermans and Shih-Tzus bark at their dark-skinned gardeners and pool-boys), you'll be limiting yourself to Disneyland, Magic Mountain, Sunset Blvd. in Hollywood and Beverly Hills, as well as the beaches. (and even Hollyweird can be dangerous at times)

Even within the "dangerous area" that I have delimited, there are things to do and see. Someone mentioned the Watts Towers; there is Exposition Park near USC with all those different Museums; any number of joints that sell good soul food....there is the Forum, the Sports Arena, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Most people will find the area I've encompassed not to be that bad all around.

But you sound like the kind of person that wants all the stoplights to be green before you head out of the house on a trip.

Would you advise me to avoid Harlem if I was to visit New York, since it has a bad reputation?

Would you tell me to avoid Yankee Stadium in the South Bronx just because the area has problems?

Would you tell me to shine on Queens just because it is ill-spoken of in "Men In Black" and all I wanted to do was to see Archie Bunker's house?

Or that I shouldn't drive on the Grand Concourse in Brooklyn because it passes through some not-so-savory looking places?

People on the board, I figure if people want something badly enough, you just give it to them. What is she going to do, sue us for sequestering her inside of an "LA utopiaville"?

More likely, something will go amiss at one of the tourist areas (criminals hang out at THOSE, also) and she will be back here to complain about how LA is a trashy no-good craphole of a place, when she could have grabbed a bit of mac-n-cheese and sweet potato pie in the Crenshaw district and had no problems whatsoever.

It's her loss. I hope her nieces are a little more adventurous.

Last edited by mrsltd; 01-20-2010 at 07:10 PM.. Reason: info correct

Old 01-21-2010, 12:43 AM

1,191 posts, read 1,231,318 times
I find it hard to believe a New Yorker is that afraid of Los Angeles. The last time I was at the Watts Towers (2002) there were both European and Japanese tourist there. I know, I talked with them. And they weren't afraid of being there. There is a lot to see in L.A. that just happens to fall in neighborhoods that some people think are "bad". The L.A. Coliseum, USC, the Watts Towers, the Rancho Dominguez house, Dodger's Stadium, and the Forum are all L.A. landmarks in the so-called 'hood. Visitors avoid these areas, but then go on to talk about how Los Angeles is so fake and overrun with Botox users and metrosexuals. No, Los Angeles is a real city with very real people. It's just many people (including some Angelinos) are afraid of it.

Of course, if you want to hang out at the Beverly Center or the Topanga Mall you can. Rodeo Drive is there for you, also. But that is the equivalent of traveling all the way to Tokyo, just to get off the plane and ask someone to point you to the nearest McDonald's.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:40 PM

5,409 posts, read 11,066,563 times
exactly!!!

i catch the train to highland park and walk to a couple bars in the area. when im done i just make sure to head back to the station before the last train headed for LA comes by. this is usually past midnight. i have never had problems walking in HLP.

but im a man. if i were a lady it might be different.

i wouldnt cross HLP off the list. others would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Although this is also evidence of the varied opinions you''ll get from this site; I wouldn't cross Highland Park off the list, for example, if there are things you want to see there. There are some great restaurants, the fabulous Galco's Soda Pop Stop, Judson Studios, the LAPD Museum, Heritage Square, etc. I don't feel unsafe going there (although personally wouldn't be comfortable wandering around on the streets at night), but others feel differently.

I do agree with Nita that what you are asking can't be done, and that while an area has crime that doesn't mean it's not safe.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:55 PM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Someone from NYC really should have no fear of any area of LA.

Just remember that in LA you will need a rental car.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,744,640 times
No, you don't need a rental car (although it can be nice), and one of the best way to really experience non-tourist LA is to take public transportation.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:18 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,841,371 times
Seeing Los Angeles from a Gold Line Train is pretty touristy, in that you feel like you're experiencing the City in a different way. In fact, the Gold Line is pretty busy on weekends- not alot of commuters going to work, just people taking an in-town vacation. For $5 its a steal. And yes, the Watts Towers are well worth the trip, IMHO.

I have a female friend from Yonkers who has lived out here for over 10 years. She will NOT walk around LA Live! at night, because she thinks that women are easy prey. In fact, she attended a concert at Staples Center with two female friends and they DROVE from their downtown office near 5th/Fig to the event...?!? I mean, the place is 5 blocks away. Aren't NYers used to walking? Ironically she feels safer in NYC.

Go figure.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 15,988 times
I moved to Northridge a few years ago and have yet to run into the bad areas... they're pretty easy to avoid if you're headed into areas that have restaurants and busy activity.... I wouldn't worry too much about the neighborhoods, you can generally see if it's not a good place just by looking at the quality of buildings into the next.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:27 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,841,371 times
This is an excellent point. For example, some posters tar 'downtown' as undesirable. What does that mean, exactly? 'Downtown' is a pretty diverse area. Skid Row? Point taken- avoid it. But what about the Music Center, or Staples, or the Central Library, or California Plaza, or Olvera Street, the Financial District, Little Tokyo, it goes on and on. Even downtown is too diverse to tar with such a broad brush.

I live adjacent to Highland Park and have NEVER had a dust-up there, nothing even close. Going on 15 years now. Heritage Square is great- they show movies outside in the summer, for example. Concerts at the Sycamore Grove bandstand, another winner. I have found there is often alot more 'good' to an area than 'bad.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post

Old 01-21-2010, 11:53 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,423,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
My two nieces and I are planning a trip to Los Angeles. We know that every big city has its share of dangerous areas, that is why we need your help, as we are three woman traveling together. We want to avoid going into these areas, or its surroundings.

Please, list them by neighborhood names. South/Central or South Los Angeles will be meaningless to us. We thank you,

here is the list of places to avoid and DO GET A RENTAL CAR you will need it!

Pomona, Hawthorne, and Long Beach, West Covina, and Gardena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles