U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2010, 09:30 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,841,371 times

Advertisements

El Dorado Park in Long Beach is very nice, as is Belmont Shores, as is Bixby Knolls, as is Naples. I lived in Long Beach for a couple of years, and have been back. Just look up these communities on the internet and you'll see how nice they are. Central and West Long Beach? Not so good, but the areas closest to the ocean and the 'burbs to the east are very nice, by and large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
here is the list of places to avoid and DO GET A RENTAL CAR you will need it!

Pomona, Hawthorne, and Long Beach, West Covina, and Gardena.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 05:36 AM

4,085 posts, read 7,446,272 times
I just listen to "west coast" rap songs to find out which neighborhoods to be careful about or avoid. For example, from Dr. Dre:
"Bodies bein' found on Greenleaf,
wit there ****** heads cut off,
m*********** I'm Dre...."
So, put Greenleaf Blvd in Compton on the list of "places to avoid in L.A." - they cut people's heads off!

Another example from the late, great Tupac:
"uh, yeah, uh, longbeach in tha house, uh yeah
Oaktown, Oakland definately in tha house hahaha
Frisko, Frisko
[Tupac] hey, you know LA is up in this
Pasadena, where you at
yeah, Inglewood, Inglewood always up to no good
(Tupac) even Hollywood tryin to get a piece baby
Sacramento, sacramento where ya at?"

So from this we learn Long Beach you have to be careful about ("in tha house"),
Oakland is a place to avoid ("definitely in the house")
Frisko is someplace to be careful about and so is L.A., in general, then it goes into some specifics,
Pasadena is mostly safe ("where you at" - not well represented by gangstas)
Inglewood is to be avoided ("always up to no good")
Hollywood is pretty safe but be careful ("tryin to get a piece of this" gangsta stuff, but just trying more than doing)
Sacramento mostly safe ("where you at" again)

That's all there is to it!

lol

Old 01-23-2010, 09:26 AM

17,413 posts, read 18,272,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I just listen to "west coast" rap songs to find out which neighborhoods to be careful about or avoid. For example, from Dr. Dre:
"Bodies bein' found on Greenleaf,
wit there ****** heads cut off,
m*********** I'm Dre...."
So, put Greenleaf Blvd in Compton on the list of "places to avoid in L.A." - they cut people's heads off!

Another example from the late, great Tupac:
"uh, yeah, uh, longbeach in tha house, uh yeah
Oaktown, Oakland definately in tha house hahaha
Frisko, Frisko
[Tupac] hey, you know LA is up in this
Pasadena, where you at
yeah, Inglewood, Inglewood always up to no good
(Tupac) even Hollywood tryin to get a piece baby
Sacramento, sacramento where ya at?"

So from this we learn Long Beach you have to be careful about ("in tha house"),
Oakland is a place to avoid ("definitely in the house")
Frisko is someplace to be careful about and so is L.A., in general, then it goes into some specifics,
Pasadena is mostly safe ("where you at" - not well represented by gangstas)
Inglewood is to be avoided ("always up to no good")
Hollywood is pretty safe but be careful ("tryin to get a piece of this" gangsta stuff, but just trying more than doing)
Sacramento mostly safe ("where you at" again)

That's all there is to it!

lol

Just a little FYI

-"Frisko" is Frisco as in San Francisco
-Pasadena has pockets of gang activity (Black and Latino)
-The San Gabriel Valley (where Pasadena is located) also has heavy Asian and Latino gang activity
-Inglewood has heavy Black and Latino gang activity as does Hawthorne and Lennox
-Westchester has some skinhead activity
-East Hollywood has heavy Latino gang and East European criminal activity (Russian, Armenian)
-North Long Beach has Black and Latino gang activity
-Sacramento has Asian and Latino gang activity

Old 01-23-2010, 04:43 PM

97 posts, read 205,349 times
thanks for the tip because I was show going to move to East LA. In all honesty, I'm not scared of Los Angeles at all. I come from Detroit, but I also know that LA is home to the famous CRIPS and BLOODS. Tell them I said "Jesus loves them, and I want to help Los Angeles." I ve never been to the city, but I love its sunshine, warmth, and its people becasue people can change. Thats if they want to though. Thank yall so much. I need a little bittie piece of more advice, if not, thats cool, thanks again.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:00 PM

23 posts, read 57,822 times
So I assume most people in here dont know what they're talking about because North Long Beach has never been the worst part of Long Beach, Eastside LBC is very much known as the worst part.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:13 PM

916 posts, read 3,185,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic_legend View Post
So I assume most people in here dont know what they're talking about because North Long Beach has never been the worst part of Long Beach, Eastside LBC is very much known as the worst part.
Not true. East Long Beach is home to some of the best neighborhoods in Southern California. "Eastside" is in reference to the east side of inner city of Long Beach which is not a great area. It's a term typically only used by the inner city residents and rappers. North Long Beach has some very tough areas with the exception of the very nice areas of Bixby Knolls, Cal Heights, and Los Cerritos/Virginia Country Club.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
Not true. East Long Beach is home to some of the best neighborhoods in Southern California. "Eastside" is in reference to the east side of inner city of Long Beach which is not a great area. It's a term typically only used by the inner city residents and rappers. North Long Beach has some very tough areas with the exception of the very nice areas of Bixby Knolls, Cal Heights, and Los Cerritos/Virginia Country Club.
Looks like you pulled that straight from wikipedia

And yes, why do you think i said EASTSIDE and not EAST, so where was I wrong? I grew up in eastside long beach, Chestnut and 15th right by Washington Middle School and please believe me when I say not only was it worse than any other area of Long Beach, it was damn near just as bad as Watts"crime wise" and as far as looks go, it was more ran down than most parts of south central, as well as more crowded. People think just because North Long Beach borders compton that makes it the worse area of the city

Old 02-10-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Looks like you pulled that straight from wikipedia

And yes, why do you think i said EASTSIDE and not EAST, so where was I wrong? I grew up in eastside long beach, Chestnut and 15th right by Washington Middle School and please believe me when I say not only was it worse than any other area of Long Beach, it was damn near just as bad as Watts"crime wise" and as far as looks go, it was more ran down than most parts of south central, as well as more crowded. People think just because North Long Beach borders compton that makes it the worse area of the city
I think you just proved my point. Only the residents from "eastside" say that. Most of the residents refer to East Long Beach as anything east of Redondo. For example, Park Estates and Naples are part of East Long Beach.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
I think you just proved my point. Only the residents from "eastside" say that. Most of the residents refer to East Long Beach as anything east of Redondo. For example, Park Estates and Naples are part of East Long Beach.
Why did you say I was wrong in the first place? I mean the neighborhood is official called "eastside"

Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Why did you say I was wrong in the first place? I mean the neighborhood is official called "eastside"
Just re-read it. You did say eastside specifically. Sorry.

My general point is I was trying to clarify that most residents I know do use the term East Long Beach and they are referring to the neighborhoods east of Redondo typically. I never hear the term "eastside" except in rap songs. But then again, I don't know anybody from said area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles