U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2011, 06:05 PM

17,449 posts, read 22,953,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
On all these threads, finally someone stopped blaming a minority. Cholos normally don't bother you if you don't bother with them. I have no problem going thru gang areas because I know chances are I am safer there than out in some redneck neighborhood driving thru or stopping to eat.
Depends upon the gang neighborhood in question. There are some that I would not want to be in at any time of day, others I wouldn't want to be in at night, others which merely demand some caution.

Quote:
Someone before said the LAPD at Dodger Stadium should just beat the gangster looking types, how about the LAPD goes hats and bats on the 909ers.
They cause problems too, AND many of them stay in Echo Park after the games (or even when there aren't any games) now that they've discovered the bars there like the Little Joy. ExP doesn't frequent the Little Joy or the Short Stop, the Bros increasingly do. (Fortunately they haven't discovered Taix, probably too classy for them.) They don't understand the internal dynamics of Echo Park. As much as people (including myself) make fun of the hipsters at least they don't cause trouble. The 909ers do.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 07:25 PM

1,806 posts, read 3,252,038 times
Isn't this far from Huntington Beach and the IE? I don't get why they are hanging out around Echo Park and such. Plus, I would figure they wouldn't be blending into that neighborhood.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 PM

5,660 posts, read 6,577,056 times
Quote:
On all these threads, finally someone stopped blaming a minority. Cholos normally don't bother you if you don't bother with them. I have no problem going thru gang areas because I know chances are I am safer there than out in some redneck neighborhood driving thru or stopping to eat.

Someone before said the LAPD at Dodger Stadium should just beat the gangster looking types, how about the LAPD goes hats and bats on the 909ers.
The only area most Angelenos should be wary of is East LA. Most residents and gangs there really aren't friendly or welcoming of non-Latinos.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Isn't this far from Huntington Beach and the IE? I don't get why they are hanging out around Echo Park and such. Plus, I would figure they wouldn't be blending into that neighborhood.
As I said before, Sunset in Echo Park has become the "new Sunset Strip" - there's been considerable publicity about the whole nightlife scene there in the last few years, which was years in the making - originally constructed by artsy types priced out of Silver Lake by hipsters, then a magnet for those very same hipsters who themselves got priced out of Silver Lake, and with all the publicity it's gotten it's attracting L.A.'s "bridge and tunnel crowd".

Just as they've gone to the Strip for years because of OC offering nothing like it, they're now going further east on Sunset, much to the consternation of every sort of local in EP. EP, while diverse and containing many different types of people, has its own distinct neighborhood dynamics which locals know. Even recent hipster transplants - from as far away as Europe - tend to learn the dynamics soon enough. The OC/IE crowd is totally unaware of those dynamics....

Old 04-13-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaniel View Post
s
Come on, WestHo is one of the safest places in LA.
Yeah I got arrested for beating someone up in WestHo club--and I'm a small-framed cute person (just strong, cause I'm a dancer)... and kicked the ass of an ape twice bigger than me.
Trust me people who get beat up in WestHo were asking for it. Don't mess with anyone, and don't get your ass kicked, if one minds own business and doesn't try to start anything with others, they don't get assaulted.
Let's look at the 7 murders in WeHo last year - the type of murders in an area also has an indication as to overall crime levels.

3- Chinese organized crime related- in 90069 (not random)
2 - domestic violence - in 90069 (not random)
1 - drive by street gang shooting (which did put peoples' lives in danger, involved people from outside the neighborhood) - in 90048

No murders in the 3rd (and largest) WeHo zip code, 90046.

Of the murders listed, only one put the public at risk - and drive by shootings in 90048 are pretty rare.

As for neighborhoods near WeHo in the last year:

No murders in the Fairfax District or Western Fairfax Distict (called "Beverly Grove" by the LA Times and no one else)
Of the 5 murders in Hollywood in 2010 and 1 in 2011, none were west of Cherokee Avenue, and there have been no murders west of Highland in two years.
No murders in Hollywood Hills West.
3 murders in Beverly Hills.

Assaults in WeHo are more likely to be reported than in let's say Pico-Union or South Central because of the lessened chance of gang reprisals and the lessened chance that those assaulted are gangbangers or drug dealers themselves.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:43 AM

559 posts, read 1,075,526 times
I was pretty surprised when I read about a biker gang related shooting in front of the Echo in Echo Park. (I've seen some great shows there).

Mongols and Hells Angels Invade Hiptown - LA Weekly

Most people seem to focus solely on street gangs. Are outlaw bikers a significant criminal issue in LA?

Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I was pretty surprised when I read about a biker gang related shooting in front of the Echo in Echo Park. (I've seen some great shows there).

Mongols and Hells Angels Invade Hiptown - LA Weekly

Most people seem to focus solely on street gangs. Are outlaw bikers a significant criminal issue in LA?
The Mongols have been in Echo Park much, much longer than hipsters have been there.

Outlaw clubs are not a significant criminal issue in L.A. nowadays. L.A. used to have a lot of one percent clubs - the Angels, Mongols, Vagos, Chosen Few, and a black one percent club whose name I forget are about it. The Heathens started in Venice and used to have a big presence in the Valley but they no longer even have a chapter in SoCal (they're Vegas based now). There used to be many other clubs that no longer exist, like Satan's Slaves, Straight Satans, Crucifiers, etc. The Booze Fighters are no longer a one percent club. Some varrios began as one percent clubs, like Harpys - they switched from biker to cholo at some point. The '60s and '70s were the heyday of one percent clubs. Even at their height they never presented anywhere nearly as much of a threat as street gang activity does nowadays (but you could say the same thing about street gangs back then, too, compared to those today.)

Last edited by majoun; 04-14-2011 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-17-2011, 11:53 PM

4,317 posts, read 5,268,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
No, you don't need a rental car (although it can be nice), and one of the best way to really experience non-tourist LA is to take public transportation.
This isn't New York. We use cars here. Public transportation is for bums and poor people.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:01 AM

1,806 posts, read 3,252,038 times
Las Vegas has been the scene of the one percenter violence in the past decade. Until then it was Southern California.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 AM

397 posts, read 776,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
This isn't New York. We use cars here. Public transportation is for bums and poor people.
I am sorry to say but your opinion is not only ignorant it is also flat out false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles