Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:30 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Mongols have been in Echo Park much, much longer than hipsters have been there.

Outlaw clubs are not a significant criminal issue in L.A. nowadays. L.A. used to have a lot of one percent clubs - the Angels, Mongols, Vagos, Chosen Few, and a black one percent club whose name I forget are about it. The Heathens started in Venice and used to have a big presence in the Valley but they no longer even have a chapter in SoCal (they're Vegas based now). There used to be many other clubs that no longer exist, like Satan's Slaves, Straight Satans, Crucifiers, etc. The Booze Fighters are no longer a one percent club. Some varrios began as one percent clubs, like Harpys - they switched from biker to cholo at some point. The '60s and '70s were the heyday of one percent clubs. Even at their height they never presented anywhere nearly as much of a threat as street gang activity does nowadays (but you could say the same thing about street gangs back then, too, compared to those today.)
The Harpys are a very well known barrio that are right near the rolling 20s. They are very well established.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 06:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
The Harpys are a very well known barrio that are right near the rolling 20s. They are very well established.
They began as one percenters. I don't know exactly when or why they switched from being an outlaw MC to being a varrio.

Old 04-18-2011, 08:18 PM

829 posts, read 2,955,651 times
Yea they are one of the more recognized and respected barrios...

Do you mean with one percenter...as the general one percenter definition as being just outlaws?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticViking View Post
Yea they are one of the more recognized and respected barrios...

Do you mean with one percenter...as the general one percenter definition as being just outlaws?
An outlaw motorcycle club. They'd already gone from biker to cholo by the late '70s.

There were other varrios that started as motorcycle clubs or car clubs but Harpys are the most prominent varrio that began as a one percent club.

I mentioned only a small number of the one percent clubs past and present in L.A. There are other one percent clubs elsewhere in SoCal, like the Hessians of OC or the POBOBs of the IE, which go back a long time. OC/IE/SD probably have more remaining one percent clubs than L.A. Ventura County is definitely Angels territory and I don't think any other clubs exist there (but I could be wrong) ; the Ventura Angels chapter is one of the biggest HA chapters around.

The country singer David Allan Coe, a member of the Outlaws MC based in the Midwest, for many years would not play California because of the Angels.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:05 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,912,898 times
Ventura is Hells Angels territory. East LA and San Gabriel Valley are heavily Mongols. South Bay is Mongols and Vagos. Hollywood is largely Mongols. I'm not sure about the Valley, but I would guess it's Hells Angels.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:54 PM

23 posts, read 28,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
This doesn't make much sense. Listing anything by neighborhood names won't do you any good, either, since you don't know the area.

Most tourists don't accidentally fall into any dangerous neighborhoods; you'd really have to actively seek them out. You're better off just planning your trip and not worrying excessively about neighborhood safety; post some specific questions about specific places if you're really concerned.
I think a lot of people who have seen silly movies or TV, tend to listen to others who dont know L.A. Then they go there with these misconceptions. Youre right. The neighborhoods that might be tougher are pretty much on the south and east parts of town, away from any of the tourist attractions, say for the Watts Towers. But still, while maintaining its tough reputation, Watts is nothing to worry about any more than Westwood nowdays. Its pretty cool now.

YouTube - WATTS This? A Reality Show In Black & White

Old 09-01-2011, 10:38 AM

9 posts, read 42,245 times
I will post some knowledge for anybody that wants to visit the LA area. First of all I grew in Compton, Tragnew Park area. It all depends on what neighborhood your in and what is going on the time. Some areas like Santa, Monica, and other areas of LA are tourist friendly and then on the same note some areas are not. Basically if you are in bad area visiting a friend or relatives is cool just stay to yourself and watch body language. Also the LAPD is also corrupted aswell, it to me a friend of mine we got pick by the police, beating up and dropped of in a different neighborhood for no reason.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:12 PM

1 posts, read 17,200 times
I am from New Orleans. If you want to get a taste of bad come here and go off bourbon street for a couple minutes. Even Compton will seem like heaven.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:26 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowincal11 View Post
Ventura is Hells Angels territory. East LA and San Gabriel Valley are heavily Mongols. South Bay is Mongols and Vagos. Hollywood is largely Mongols. I'm not sure about the Valley, but I would guess it's Hells Angels.
I think you watch too much "Sons of Anarchy".

As someone who lived in the LA area in Hollywood, the Valley, and a couple of other places I never saw any motorcycle gangs over a 20 yr period.

In fact the only time I remember seeing any real biker activity was one year watching that large charity event that went through Glendale into Atwater Village one year with hundreds of bikes.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:29 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakenlord View Post
I am from New Orleans. If you want to get a taste of bad come here and go off bourbon street for a couple minutes. Even Compton will seem like heaven.
You got that right. And you could say the same about Miami.

You wouldn't want to fly over the Liberty City section of Miami in a plane, never mind drive through in a car.

LA has a well trained police force that is on top of things, unlike many southern cities.

The worst parts of LA are better than many other cities, especially in places like New Orleans and Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles