U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 03:51 PM

2 posts, read 16,623 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I have no idea if this post is in the right place but im sure the good of you will excuse my geography for now.
Ok im looking at moving myself and family lock stock and barrell to Valencia CA from the UK.
Any advise on whats a good safe area to live, good schooling for kids of 5 & 6 years old. Cost of living etc, food, bills such as elec and gas.

Or if you can recommend other areas to live then i am still open to suggestions.
Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 04:29 PM

4,028 posts, read 8,299,064 times
You're question is just way too broad.

Valencia is a nice area.

But you need to provide the following information before anyone can really help you out:

1.) Where will you be working?

2.) How much can you afford to pay in rent/housing payment.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 16,623 times
I will be working on in Valencia and could rent somewhere suitable for $2000 per month initially whilst i got settled. I just need to know if there is anywhere to avoid or know about the area.
Many thanks

Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 PM

1,167 posts, read 4,289,650 times
Valencia is part of Santa Clarita. Everything with Valencia in the address is pretty much good and safe as far as I know, even most of Santa Clarita is fine, there are some pockets but even that is probably as bad as average LA. Now we don't know much about where you are coming from and your expectations of "safe". As far as schools, I think you should be fine. Check on the CA dept of ed website, datastatistics and it will give you the rankings of the schools. You should check the boundaries map and make sure you know which school your kid will go to. Rents have come down, I am guessing you should be able to get a 3bdrm condo or even a smaller house for that rent. Just look on craigslist and other websites.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:45 PM

51 posts, read 260,979 times
Santa Clarita Valley is nice and safe overall. However, there are pockets of Canyon Country and Castaic that are shaky (rental areas). I recommend you get a feel of the area by visiting before making such a drastic move. Santa Clarita and Simi Valley is home to a significant amount of active and retired police officers. A middle-upper middle class stronghold. Among the nicer parts of town (Santa Clarita) is Stevensons Ranch, Saugus (parts) and Bridgeport (man made lakes and all).

Good luck in all of your endeavors!!!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM

75 posts, read 450,556 times
Valencia is one of the top 5 safest and nicest cities you will ever live in CA.

It would be difficult NOT to find a safe spot around that area.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:52 PM

3,885 posts, read 5,993,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJay123 View Post
Valencia is one of the top 5 safest and nicest cities you will ever live in CA.

It would be difficult NOT to find a safe spot around that area.
Agree! Santa Clarita is probably the safest area in Los Angeles county.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:02 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,307,055 times
I lived there for about 5 years up until a couple of days ago. Like others have noted, anything with a Valencia address is nice. I had three cops on my street alone. Every single one of them said the same thing. They deal with worthless scum in bad areas every day in LA and don't want to live in it.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:12 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyBoy85 View Post
I recommend you get a feel of the area by visiting before making such a drastic move.

Google Maps street view is the next best thing.

Old 01-31-2016, 11:03 AM

200 posts, read 123,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValleyBoy85 View Post
Santa Clarita Valley is nice and safe overall. However, there are pockets of Canyon Country and Castaic that are shaky (rental areas). I recommend you get a feel of the area by visiting before making such a drastic move. Santa Clarita and Simi Valley is home to a significant amount of active and retired police officers. A middle-upper middle class stronghold. Among the nicer parts of town (Santa Clarita) is Stevensons Ranch, Saugus (parts) and Bridgeport (man made lakes and all).

Good luck in all of your endeavors!!!
Interesting comments here, so i would like to chime in with my 0.02 cents, to start off, i was actively looking at buying a SFR (single family residence) in SantaClarita area and here's the summary:

1. Canyon Country - are you a plumber/electrician/labor class? Yes --> this is the place to be, mostly rural type feeling, small shops, nothing exciting to do, you will get a bigger house for lesser price

2. Saugus - marketing gimmick, only certain areas are nice, i saw a 3000 sq feet home for 550k last Sep 2015 and was about to buy it before i noticed that the 2 blocks away, we had canyon country - ghetto crowd, broken roads, cheap looking houses, lower class feel etc.

3. Valencia - city for young, perhaps your best bet (schools are 9+ mostly), forget anything below 550k if you want to buy

SantaClarita is far off from any beaches (50 miles away from SantaMonica/Ventura beaches) and that 50 miles = 1.5+hr 1 way drive with traffic and any major employers if you are in Information Technology sector

I am still not able to find out the NUMBER of renters VS Number of Owners in Valencia, mostly chinese who are priced out of Arcadia/Irvine/Chino Hills are based in Valencia now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles