U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,579 times

Advertisements

Good evening,

I'm new to posting so please bare with me if this question has already been asked. I'm a recently married white female with a little one on the way and my husband and I have been looking into areas of the San Fernando Valley, More specific: Valley Village, Sherman Oaks, Studio City and Burbank.

I understand that in any state, you have good areas and bad areas, but I was hoping that someone could perhaps give some detail into these 4 areas. My husband and I just want to settle our soon to be family in a nice area. Also, Do these 4 areas have good job opportunities? I've done research online, but I'd value more of the opinion of people who actually live there/have lived there/visited.

Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 08:28 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty_11 View Post
Good evening,

I'm new to posting so please bare with me if this question has already been asked. I'm a recently married white female with a little one on the way and my husband and I have been looking into areas of the San Fernando Valley, More specific: Valley Village, Sherman Oaks, Studio City and Burbank.

I understand that in any state, you have good areas and bad areas, but I was hoping that someone could perhaps give some detail into these 4 areas. My husband and I just want to settle our soon to be family in a nice area. Also, Do these 4 areas have good job opportunities? I've done research online, but I'd value more of the opinion of people who actually live there/have lived there/visited.

Thank you so much for your help!
Just about anyone on any forum of any city will write that you should have a job in hand before choosing a community. It's 69 times easier to find a nice place to live after you find a job than it is the other way around.

Kids are on the way so schools will be an interest. Start here:

School Performance Maps

Why are you choosing those areas?
Are you looking to buy or rent?
What line of work is the breadwinner in?
Where are you now?
Have you been to these places before?

Old 01-19-2010, 08:53 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,753,005 times
Job opportunities? NO. Not right now. Obviously some people are finding new jobs, and many people have managed to hold on to their existing jobs, but almost everyone I know in LA (including us, before the changing job market forced a move) has been negatively impacted by the economy. Like Charles and everyone else will say, find the job FIRST, and then worry about the specifics. I wouldn't make the move without a job, and the odds are that the job search is going to take a long time. I have friends with years of experience, graduate degrees, existing extensive LA networks, are willing to do practically anything, and are still having trouble finding a job. Not the kind of market I would want to move to (without a job already lined up) if I had a baby on the way. It seems like the job losses have slowed down, and my work has actually hired some PT people again, but it's still going to take a long time to recover.

I know families who love Burbank, but again, depends on where the job is (don't want to spend hours commuting), and budget.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:27 AM

4,031 posts, read 8,301,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty_11 View Post
Good evening,

More specific: Valley Village, Sherman Oaks, Studio City and Burbank.

I understand that in any state, you have good areas and bad areas, but I was hoping that someone could perhaps give some detail into these 4 areas. My husband and I just want to settle our soon to be family in a nice area. Also, Do these 4 areas have good job opportunities?
Where are you from? These areas you list are upper middle class with some extremely wealthy. They are quite expensive to live in. Expect a 1 bedroom apartment in a decent complex to cost $1100-1600 a month and add a couple hundred for a two bedroom. A house starts at around 1800 a month and thats for a two bed one bath.

As to job opporunites....it depends what you are skilled/educated in. The unemployment rate is 12.2% and unlikely to change anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles