U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 01:19 PM

13 posts, read 14,993 times

Advertisements

I have the opportunity to relocate, I have 32 cities to choose from and I have narrowed my options down to the following which interest me:

New Orleans

Houston

Charlotte

Atlanta

LA

Bay Area

I am soo confused. I am a 27 year old single African American Female currently residing in Cleveland, OH and I am a Special Education Teacher. I am looking for a city that is filled with entertainment (clubs/bars, music, comedy, plays, sports, arts) and culture. Cost of living and good weather is also important to me.

If you can provide any information or comparison on these cities It would be a great help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 02:34 PM

736 posts, read 1,960,958 times
For weather, culture, and entertainment I think LA and San Francisco are VERY GOOD. However, they are both VERY COSTLY. So keep that in mind.

Also, both LA and San Francisco are VERY DIVERSE in regards to them being international cities with people from all over the world. However, as you might already realize, the percentage of the population that is African-American in LA and SF is actually quite small as compared to Atlanta, Charlotte, and New Orleans. That doesn't mean you would not like them but just something to keep in mind.

I am probably stating the obvious but the economy is in bad shape in California so job opportunities can be tough to come by (even in education). If you get a job in San Francisco you can easily make it without a car (but the housing costs are NOT CHEAP). The housing costs in LA are CHEAPER than San Fran. but in LA it is VERY HARD to make it without a car since the city is much more spread out than SF.

Good luck whatever you decdie.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:41 PM

14,131 posts, read 26,284,209 times
Trina, noticed that DC's not on your list of possibles. We've got all your desired amenities, great culture, and the weather's not as terrible as perhaps you perceive. Cost of living would be a bit less than LA or the Bay Area.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:33 PM

13 posts, read 14,993 times
Island_onthe_Land thank you for responding. I am definetly looking to relocate to a more diverse area. Everything I have heard about San Fran has been wonderful except for the cost of living. Do you think It would be difficult to find a nice 2bd apt in a nice area for $900/mo??

Well CAva1990 I have visited DC several times and while I did enjoy myself it reminded too much of home and Im also trying to escape the cold, lol.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:47 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,448,434 times
neither LA nor SF will have 2br apartments for $900/month except for maybe in the absolute worst, most crime ridden neighborhoods. and you may not even be able to find anything for that price there either.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:18 PM

3,783 posts, read 7,181,676 times
Neither California area would meet your cost-of-living requirement.

For the weather part: do you mind heat and humidity? The probability of hurricanes?

Will your OH credential be good in each of the states you are considering?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:50 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,791,785 times
The odds of finding a 2BR in either SF or LA for that price are slim to none. If that's your budget I'd cross CA off the list and go with one of your options like Houston.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:13 PM

736 posts, read 1,960,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTrina216 View Post
Island_onthe_Land thank you for responding. I am definetly looking to relocate to a more diverse area. Everything I have heard about San Fran has been wonderful except for the cost of living. Do you think It would be difficult to find a nice 2bd apt in a nice area for $900/mo??

Well CAva1990 I have visited DC several times and while I did enjoy myself it reminded too much of home and Im also trying to escape the cold, lol.

MsTrina: With $900/month as a housing budget, I'd look into a roomate situation in San Francisco (assuming that works for you). That WOULD work and assuming you find a good roomate you'd also meet other people through them. Good way to get to know the area and NOT be so lost.

Of course, remember wages are HIGHER in San Fran. but maybe you are already considering that in your calculation.

Yes, I agree. San Francisco is GREAT...certainly the MOST BEAUTIFUL big city is the United States in my opnion.

That said, the negatives (every place has them) for me are as follows:

1. Cost of living
2. Earthquakes (don't let this keep you away but it's a reality)
3. Weather.

Yes, the Climate in San Fran. BEATS Ohio BUT in the CITY of San Francisco don't expect WARM Los Angeles type weather. The summers have many days that are often COOL and FOGGY. The City is surrouned by the cold pacific ocean on THREE sides. Yet, October is known for brining Indian Summer type weather where it's sunny and 70 degrees and perfect.

OAKLAND (just across the bay) has NICER weather and it's a bit cheaper for housing. Of course, it's NOT as interesting as San Francisco.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:10 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,859,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTrina216 View Post
I have the opportunity to relocate, I have 32 cities to choose from and I have narrowed my options down to the following which interest me:

New Orleans

Houston

Charlotte

Atlanta

LA

Bay Area

I am soo confused. I am a 27 year old single African American Female currently residing in Cleveland, OH and I am a Special Education Teacher. I am looking for a city that is filled with entertainment (clubs/bars, music, comedy, plays, sports, arts) and culture. Cost of living and good weather is also important to me.

If you can provide any information or comparison on these cities It would be a great help.
Do you know where in Los Angeles the job would be? The differences amongst various parts of Los Angeles are bigger than the differences between those cities and Los Angeles. Watts vs Bel Air is a bigger difference than Atlanta vs. Los Angeles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles