U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2010, 09:55 PM

4 posts, read 19,258 times

Advertisements

Ok so my roommate and I (both 25 years old) are moving to LA from the east coast. We have done a lot of research and narrowed it down to either Hermosa Beach or West Hollywood. We want to hash out the pro's and con's of each and make a decision. I was hoping to get some feedback from others out there in helping weigh the pros and cons of each area. (fyi, we work from home so there is no work commute to consider)

Here is what we like about Hermosa:
- we can live in a place that is walking distance to the sand and have an ocean view which is awesome
- we are told its a young crowd with lots of partying and has a lot of pretty girls =) (we def want a happening scene as we like to go out and party - and we are told the west hollywood scene is happening too)
- everything is pretty much walking distance from the apts/house we were looking into (restaurants, bars, grocery store, gym, etc.) so we wouldn't need to use our cars pretty much at all

Our concern about Hermosa is that our friends live in West Hollywood who we will want to hang out with a lot. So were also wondering if it would be too far from them to see them often.

Please your advice is very much appreciated as we are supposed to be moving into a place by the beginning of next week!!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:05 PM

7,091 posts, read 18,417,215 times
hermosa is at least 30 minutes from weho without traffic, which isn't very often when you'll be dealing with the 405.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 PM

excluding that. where do you think is is a better area to live? i personally can deal with traffic to live by the beach but i can't speak for my roommate

Old 01-20-2010, 11:19 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,424,293 times
Sounds to me that you ALREADY have a place your moving into next week so why are you asking which location is better if you already have a home?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:13 AM

132 posts, read 306,756 times
Hermosa Beach is great, I think you'll like it there for all the reasons you mention. It's not THAT far from West Hollywood, if you wanted to go there every day it would be a pain but if it's visiting back and forth like friends usually do, I don't think you'll find the distance too oppressive.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
Sounds to me that you ALREADY have a place your moving into next week so why are you asking which location is better if you already have a home?
We have one that we were approved for but we havent signed the lease yet

Old 01-21-2010, 12:51 AM

i guess the goal i was aiming for with this thread was seeing the benefits and downsides of each area from people who are familiar with the area so that we can use it in the evaluation for our decision. we are from the east coast so we have little knowledge of the areas to come up with our own list

Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,578,748 times
They are both great areas and ideal for young, professional, upwardly mobile singles. But at the same time they are totally different.

Weho is more urban, more diverse, has a huge gay population, more trendy, more attitude, more pretension, and heavily immersed in the Hollywood/celebrity scene, etc.

Hermosa is beachy, very clean, laid back, less diverse, very white, has more of a San Diego vibe (if you know what I mean).

You should take time to explore and view apartments in both areas. DO NOT sign a lease without doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or