Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 08:24 AM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
no, that poster is probably some sheltered wannabe rich girl/snob. if yo uare too afraid to go south of wilshire, or think everything south of wilshire is ghetto, then you got some serious eye opening (or growing up) to do.
That is what I was thinking!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:02 PM

605 posts, read 1,165,034 times
Like Mike 121, I am a pretty optimistic person and often defend the neighborhoods of LA with worse reputations and frequent many of those areas that are not really a danger and are great if you try them out and know how to be smart. There are great people in neighborhoods like old South Central and Watts who I know personally and I go down there occasionally.

But 66th and Normandie is, especially when I think of a Midwesterner coming in, pretty seedy. I mean, she could not have chosen a spot more in the dead center of that whole are south of 10, north of 105 east of 405 and west of 710, the LA "ghettos", South L.A.

Even to the east in neighborhoods like Compton, Watts, Bell you have communities I feel would even be better for her, though still perhaps not recommended. I mean, that whole area south of Leimert Park and north of Gardena, east of Inglewood and west of Florence-Firestone does not even have that sense of neighborhood and community and history of places like Inglewood or Compton. It's hard to explain. Just look at a map of it.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:11 AM

1,215 posts, read 2,958,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
no, that poster is probably some sheltered wannabe rich girl/snob. if yo uare too afraid to go south of wilshire, or think everything south of wilshire is ghetto, then you got some serious eye opening (or growing up) to do.
I guess I am a snob too but I think the area around Washington Blvd and Normandie/Crenshaw is SUPER GHETTO. I drove inside streets from West Hollywood to Metropolitan Court to pay a traffic ticket and had to drive through the ghetto. Arlington Heights, West Adams, Washington Blvd; it's all pretty ghetto to me. I had to drive on Normandie and it was whacked... weird people loitering around etc, liqour stores everywhere (sorry, I don't know how to spell it, I don't drink alcohol ever)...

Yes, I admit I am very snobby. I prefer the Westside, West Hollywood, Culver City, even Studio City and Sherman Oaks. I don't like lower income areas with bars on the houses and low income people loitering around. I am not sheltered; I just feel safer in and prefer higher income areas; they even look better, nicer, more pleasant to the eye. Not a big fan of lower class areas either with a lot of immigrants. I'm not white btw, I'm also an immigrant (I wasn't born here) I just prefer living in upscale areas... I drove as fast as I could when going through the hood; don't want to stay in that kind of area in my car let alone live there.

It's such a drastic change driving from a nice area like West Hollywood to driving around Normandie/Crenshaw and Arlington Heights; it's like going to a different world.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 AM

605 posts, read 1,165,034 times
I would not exactly describe West Adams and Washington Blvd. as the ghetto. I would say jackie100 and I have different preferences but that is fine if she does not prefer those areas, as long is that is not a reason to pretend they do not exist. But Normandie/66th is not West Adams.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:38 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitofEndearment View Post
I would not exactly describe West Adams and Washington Blvd. as the ghetto. I would say jackie100 and I have different preferences but that is fine if she does not prefer those areas, as long is that is not a reason to pretend they do not exist. But Normandie/66th is not West Adams.
I went to a house show in West Adams/South Mid-City to see my friend's band from OC play. They were all pretty terrified by the neighborhood (bums, loiterers, weird dude playing a guitar missing most strings) but it really wasn't that bad, considering most of Central LA is like that. On the way home we walked up to El Nido on La Brea and had some amazing Nicaraguan food. No offense Jackie, but you are sheltered - being an immigrant does not change that.

Anyways that area is not really even close to the area in the OP's question. I agree with the rent-first then buy mentality. Who knows, maybe it's not too ghetto or dangerous but there are other drawbacks that make you not want to be locked into the neighborhood.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:46 AM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
If ghettos were uplifting, educational, and "really not that bad"... everyone would want to live in them. Doesn't look to be the case. Nothing wrong with not wanting to spend time there (heck even many people stuck in them would rather be elsewhere).

The best ethnic food I had was in a "white" "suburb" in a "flyover state". Just adding some perspective to the heavily biased City Data pool. YMMV

Last edited by Wing Feathers; 04-05-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post

Anyways that area is not really even close to the area in the OP's question. I agree with the rent-first then buy mentality. Who knows, maybe it's not too ghetto or dangerous but there are other drawbacks that make you not want to be locked into the neighborhood.
Just because I don't LIKE poor areas and find most of the neighborhoods visually unappealing and uninteresting does not make me sheltered. I prefer the aesthetics of upscale neighborhoods; they are cleaner and just better looking. Most of the "cities in central L.A are just plain FUGLY with trash on the street and people standing on the street all day. It's not "being sheltered" if I don't like lower income areas; who says I have to like them? I am not "sheltered", I have been through lower income/ghetto type neighborhoods enough to know that they are not my style and not anywhere I want to hang out in. The only area with lots of immigrants that are ok to me are ones like Irvine; high-income areas. I am not "sheltered", I just don't like LOW INCOME areas and would never want to live there. I don't like weirdo people; loiterers, bums etc. I don't take public transportation either.

I only stated that I was non white so folks don't think I am prejudiced... I just don't like the typical lower income "ethnic" neighborhoods with non-English speakers and ghettoness. I have always been higher income... It's just not my style; I guess I have a class bias. I like going places like The Grove and The Beverly Center. I don't care about trying ethnic Nicaraguan food or any other kind of homemade style foods etc or ugly strip malls with 99cent stores, thrift stores and liquor stores. WTF am I going to buy there?

66th St is WORSE than West Adams because it is even further south and around Florence Graham and Inglewood etc. It's the plain ghetto. No offense but those neighborhoods are known for being lower income and lots of crime.

Last edited by jackie100; 04-05-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 04-05-2012, 01:15 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
Just because I don't LIKE poor areas and find most of the neighborhoods visually unappealing and uninteresting does not make me sheltered. I prefer the aesthetics of upscale neighborhoods; they are cleaner and just better looking. Most of the "cities in central L.A are just plain FUGLY with trash on the street and people standing on the street all day. It's not "being sheltered" if I don't like lower income areas; who says I have to like them? I am not "sheltered", I have been through lower income/ghetto type neighborhoods enough to know that they are not my style and not anywhere I want to hang out in. The only area with lots of immigrants that are ok to me are ones like Irvine; high-income areas. I am not "sheltered", I just don't like LOW INCOME areas and would never want to live there. I don't like weirdo people; loiterers, bums etc. I don't take public transportation either.

I only stated that I was non white so folks don't think I am prejudiced... I just don't like the typical lower income "ethnic" neighborhoods with non-English speakers and ghettoness. I have always been higher income... It's just not my style; I guess I have a class bias. I like going places like The Grove and The Beverly Center. I don't care about trying ethnic Nicaraguan food or any other kind of homemade style foods etc or ugly strip malls with 99cent stores, thrift stores and liquor stores. WTF am I going to buy there?

66th St is WORSE than West Adams because it is even further south and around Florence Graham and Inglewood etc. It's the plain ghetto. No offense but those neighborhoods are known for being lower income and lots of crime.
Well I'm certainly not clamoring to move to West Adams or deep into South LA - but I don't mind visiting here and there, that's all.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well I'm certainly not clamoring to move to West Adams or deep into South LA - but I don't mind visiting here and there, that's all.
I don't because there is no one there I am interested in visiting nor anything there of interest to me... Nothing there interests me. I have no purpose going there.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:20 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,836,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie100 View Post
The only area with lots of immigrants that are ok to me are ones like Irvine; high-income areas. I am not "sheltered"
The former disproves the latter statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles