U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 12:10 AM

2,106 posts, read 2,627,898 times

Advertisements

What is ham radio?? And i agree with the meet up.com post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 AM

17 posts, read 44,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxTown View Post
I find that people are pretty chatty near the roasted chickens at Vons. Seriously.
LOL! Yes! Roast chicken gatherings, waiting for the guy to bring the fresh ones, are great! Wholefoods chicky and cake areas are great, conversation is light and hardly ever political
I'm lucky, I have an English accent and a toddler son and either way can strike up a checkout chat with either an anglophile {'Are you Australian?'} or equally exhausted mum.
The quote about Angeleno's being so into themselves was a typical cliche bandwagon statement....just avoid anyone with one of those bluetooth ear thingies.....I'd have to agree with that one.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:41 PM

1 posts, read 987 times
It's definitely not you, my husband & I moved to LA from Boston 5 years ago and I found it extremely hard to make friends compared to anyplace else I've ever lived, and I've lived in other big cities, such as New York. Not sure the reason why, but one person who grew up here advised me that there are a lot of distractions (places to go, things to do, beach, mountains, etc.) compared to other places, so people's attention gets pulled a lot of different ways. Another thing he advised is people here like to have a reason to go out/meet, like a party or some other special occasion. I am just getting to the point where I can say I have good friends here. It took a few years of knowing people to build up good friendships. The best friends I've made have been through design classes I've taken and through our church. Another thing I've seen different about LA than other places is I seem to end up seeing people through necessity, like if I can help them with a project or they can help me with something. Everyone's busy so it just seems to work out that way. Hope this helps!

Old 04-16-2011, 07:29 PM

9,620 posts, read 12,796,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoonglow View Post
It's definitely not you, my husband & I moved to LA from Boston 5 years ago and I found it extremely hard to make friends compared to anyplace else I've ever lived, and I've lived in other big cities, such as New York. Not sure the reason why, but one person who grew up here advised me that there are a lot of distractions (places to go, things to do, beach, mountains, etc.) compared to other places, so people's attention gets pulled a lot of different ways. Another thing he advised is people here like to have a reason to go out/meet, like a party or some other special occasion. I am just getting to the point where I can say I have good friends here. It took a few years of knowing people to build up good friendships. The best friends I've made have been through design classes I've taken and through our church. Another thing I've seen different about LA than other places is I seem to end up seeing people through necessity, like if I can help them with a project or they can help me with something. Everyone's busy so it just seems to work out that way. Hope this helps!
I'm from Boston but lived in LA for 5 years. Pretty much immediately, I had friends through work and through them, I met tons of people. Within 2-3 months, I had a decent-sized social group and was always being invited to shows, clubs, etc., and it never slowed down. I still keep in contact with most of them.

The only thing I cannot stress enough to someone who's moved from New England/NYC/Chicago/The South is that in CA - especially LA - there is no such thing as concrete plans. The one major dig that people make about LA that I'll give them is that it is tough to imagine a city with a higher average number of flakes. Where I'm from, if you say at 2pm that you'll meet at 6pm at your friend's apartment, it means that sometime between about 5.50pm and 6.15pm, you'll be there, and so will your friend. Not the case in LA. "We'll definitely meet at six" in LA means "traffic and other plans I've made with other people permitting, it's possible I'll hang out with you sometime between 6.30 and 9pm."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or