Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 03:41 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,929,677 times

Advertisements

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows any quicker routes to Vernon within rush hour? I got a job offer there and I know it's gonna be a bit of a commute but I hear people mentioning back roads, avoid certain freeways etc when it comes to LA. If I can do Encino to Torrance then I can do Encino to Vernon. So all I need to know is if there's any other good routes to take to Vernon and nothing else. I appreciate any help.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,446,398 times
Public transportation might actually be something to consider if you can drive to the Universal Red Line station. From there it is less than an hour (I know that doesn't sound fantastic). Get a 3G card and surf the net on the way.

NoHo Red Line Station to Vernon, CA - Google Maps

Old 01-27-2010, 10:39 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,105,135 times
doesn't the blue line go to vernon as well?

Old 01-27-2010, 04:24 PM

1,253 posts, read 2,929,677 times
Thanks! I will check that out!

Old 01-28-2010, 06:11 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,625,358 times
trans/rail to vernon is possible, it just depends on where in vernon you go ( the blue line hits the western edge of vernon. vernon is also served by buses.

vernon is immediately southeast of downtown. if you can get to downtwon easily, you can get to vernon.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 PM

4,536 posts, read 10,582,803 times
It's not good Miss Pip. If you can plan to be in to work by 7am, its to your benefit. If not, its gonna take about an hour in, hour-hour 15 minutes home.

If you can leave by 615 you should be at work by 650-700 each day. I know if I leave my place in Van Nuys for my job downtown at 630, I get in by about 705. Vernon would take 10-15 minutes more. If I leave by 6am, I get in by 620.

If I were to leave my home at 730, it generally takes until about 830 to get to work in downtown.

If the job winds up being permanent and long term, and you have to start at 830 or 9am you may want to consider a studio in downtown LA, or perhaps moving to Glendale or Long Beach to cut down your drive time.

Distance wise, taking the 101 from the 101/134/170 interchange is about 4 miles less than using the 134 to the 5. However, during traffic the 134/5 route is almost always quicker by quite a bit. I check traffic.com and sigalert.com constantly on my iphone.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:26 AM

304 posts, read 928,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Hey Guys,

I was wondering if anyone knows any quicker routes to Vernon within rush hour? I got a job offer there and I know it's gonna be a bit of a commute but I hear people mentioning back roads, avoid certain freeways etc when it comes to LA. If I can do Encino to Torrance then I can do Encino to Vernon. So all I need to know is if there's any other good routes to take to Vernon and nothing else. I appreciate any help.

Thanks
------------------------
You are right, there are always streets instead of freeways but The most direct route is the 101 thru Hollywood and downtown.

Drive to Noho and get on the Metro system. It will cost you a lot less than driving. Some employers give incentives. It will be easier than driving and still take 60-90 minutes

One driving option is to:

Take the 101 South to the 134 East to the I-5 South to the I-10 west and get off at Alameda South . But the only bright spot in that may be the 134 East for a few miles.

Whoever told you it is about the same as Encino to Torrance was pulling your leg.

Get some good books on CDs and leave early and work late.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:09 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,354,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pip View Post
Hey Guys,

Thanks
Hello! I would say that Encino to Torrance is NOTHING like Encino to Vernon, since the latter has many many more alternatives than the former. With Encino to Torrance, you have NO CHOICE but to take the 405 during rush hour, while Encino to Vernon you have much more leeway in deciding your route (101-110, 101-134-5-110, 405-10-110, etc.).

In addition, you should consider taking the Orange Line (Balboa/Victory station always has parking) to the Red Line to the Blue Line. I had jury duty not too long ago in Downtown LA, and I took the Orange Line to the Red Line into DTLA. Altogether, that trip only took me 45 minutes! That way, the only place you have to drive is from Balboa station back to your house (as opposed to driving all the way to North Hollywood, which isn't bad but still kind of a headache). How close is your prospective job in Vernon to the Blue Line Station? If it isn't that far, I'd go for it. You can do some reading while on PT. It's great!

Here's a map of metro rail for reference (http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/ma...s/rail_map.pdf). A monthly pass isn't that expensive ($62/month http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/ri...ng_fare-02.htm)

Old 01-30-2010, 03:32 AM

4,536 posts, read 10,582,803 times
FYI, I am not a big fan of the Red Line. Here is why.

Like I said, 20 minutes from my home in Van Nuys to Downtown at 6am. A few minutes less if its really wide open. Around 35 minutes at 630.

If I was to take the Red Line, first off I absolutely have to be there by 7am or there is no more parking.

And it always takes an hour from my front door to my workplace and goes something like this:

Leave house at 530AM
Arrive at Red Line at 540am
Walk down the escalator, in place by 545am.
Wait for train - this is variable and not really timable because the trains get stuck or are slow sometimes. Usually about 5-10 minutes.
Ride into downtown - 28 minutes or so. Death if a train gets stuck which happens about once a month. Normally downtown by 620.
Walk 10 minutes to work. So in by 630 am.

IMO people severly underestimate the amount of time the train takes because of various bias they have towards driving in traffic. If they clocked the time they leave their front doorstep to the time they step into the office, I think they would have a much more clear picture of how long their trip takes.

Its funny because I stopped taking the train when I got into a carpool. And the guy I had the carpool with was a former train rider as well...one who swore by the Red Line. After 3 days in the carpool, he couldn't fathom why he thought the Red Line was a good idea. Basically it gave him 45min-an hour extra each day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles