U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 AM

1,248 posts, read 2,279,155 times

Advertisements

Well, first of all I just want to say to all of you who are living in the LA metro area that I've reached the point where this place feels like its more than a bunch of cities spread out from each other. Although I have been living here for almost 27 years, this city feels like its a home for me now more than before. Wow! I mean I don't know what to say right now because it is just starting to sink in that I'm thinking "Is this really possible? Can it really be this way? Or is it just me?"

I came to LA years ago as a five year old boy and I knew no English and I could not even walk. To make a long story short here I am in 2010 soon to be 32 years old and I can feel blessed in the way that I have been able to not only exist but survive in one of the nation's largest cities. I can now stand on my two feet and walk. I am also a gruduate of Cal State Northridge with a B.A. in Journalism and even though I am currently without paid work, I refuse to allow that status or this recession to bring me down. I really don't have the time to dwell on what I don't have and I am even grateful to be able to type all this stuff. Some people aren't able to even do that. Sometimes I am so overcome with excitement especially after I exercise that I just want to run around and find somebody to hug

Today, I felt blessed to be in this city. As I was walking towards the bus stop to go to Downtown Glendale and the Americana, I saw two men pass by me with a dog that started barking. I was startled by that and I almost fell over. One of the men asked me if I was okay and I told him that yes I'm fine. At that point, I knew that even in LA there are caring people. Later in the afternoon, I stopped at a Thai restaurant and had some awesome food, did some more walking around Glendale before finally heading home. I am so blessed to be here because of all the diversity. You can hear different languages and eat foods from all over the world and what else is there to say? This feels great!! If you try hard enough, you can find obvious things in your city to be appreciative of. I just want to make sure I enjoy life and make the most of what I've got. I sometimes don't even care if I don't get married because I don't really need marriage to feel like I'm being productive. As long as I have my health, a home to stay in and warm food every night, what could go wrong?

You see, life isn't just about having the biggest car or the biggest house or having that "perfect" spouse. Life is about being able to enjoy, helping others in need, making a difference in their lives and most of all spreading love and kindness especially to women because without them, I wouldn't be here now.

Oh, wow! I could go on and on with this post. Why am I saying some of this stuff? Because I want people to know that life gives us certain challenges and that we need to overcome these challenges and make the most of what we have. Also I hope that my story inspires others to know that you can overcome anything if you really want to. No one has absolutely everything but the key is making the most of what you do have.
I really don't know what else to write because this is an overwhelming feeling of gratitude Can anyone relate to some of what I have said?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 12:51 AM

12,476 posts, read 16,974,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
I am also a gruduate of Cal State Northridge with a B.A. in Journalism and even though I am currently without paid work, I refuse to allow that status or this recession to bring me down.
In other words you are living with your parents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
As long as I have my health, a home to stay in and warm food every night, what could go wrong?
And there is where Los Angeles can be problematic for many. Affording a home, warm food every night, etc.

Curious, how do you afford these things without a job?

Anyhow, I grew up in this area as well, around your age and I don't relate to your comments at all.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:13 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,236,519 times
It's refreshing to see someone that appreciates what they have.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:22 PM

4,575 posts, read 3,532,755 times
True jc76, too many people dwell on the negative....

Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM

736 posts, read 1,959,139 times
Nice post AliveandWell. You have a good perspective. Curious to know you arrived in LA when you were 5 and didn't speak english, where did you come from?

Old 01-28-2010, 12:51 PM

15,372 posts, read 25,586,306 times
Cool story. So positive. Good read.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:53 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,279,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island_OnThe_Land View Post
Nice post AliveandWell. You have a good perspective. Curious to know you arrived in LA when you were 5 and didn't speak english, where did you come from?
Well, I came to LA with my parents and brother. We came to CA specifically Glendale because there is a large Armenian population. Even La Crescenta is considered to be a part of the city of Glendale. I've been in my present location since 1988. LA is home for me because I've been here so long and I just sometimes find it hard to imagine that I'd leave.

It took me such a long time to get to a level spiritually that now I know you have to accept things the way they are and that this is the way to live. Even if it was 105 degrees outside now, I'd probably be able to fully accept that even if I didn't enjoy it. As I stated earlier, no one has everything.

I also know now that life is what you make of it. You can choose misery or you can choose happiness. Either way, it is your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles