U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 02:52 AM

9 posts, read 19,390 times

Advertisements

New to the forum, just looking for some information while contemplating my cross-country move!

I'm from Massachusetts and I'm employed as a foster parent, and have been for the last almost 10 years.
As I have raised 4 of my own children and love kids this is the perfect job for me, though this is not the point of this thread.

If I were to move to California ,
(I'm looking into Culver City if anyone can suggest a safe family area in or close to West Los Angeles I'd appreciate it.)

1. would my Foster Care License be valid there?

2. would I be able to continue working as a Foster Parent?
(As I am an older woman [Mid-50's] with quite a few health problems this is the only job I am able to maintain at the time)

3. I have section 8 w/ mobility since my apartment building burned down in the early 90's, is section 8 frowned down upon in Los Angeles/California?

I make ~$1700 every two weeks, are foster parents paid well in Ca?

I know I have a lot of questions but I would like input on everything before I throw myself into anything and lose my single family home here in Massachusetts. Currently I rent a 3 bed 1 bath family home.

What is the current avg cost of renting the same over on the West coast?

I know cost of living, utilities, etc are more expensive.
But as my teenage daughter suffers from severe depression/bipolar disorder/insomnia, and has gotten into legal trouble at just age 16 I was suggested a change of environment for her and when we went to visit family in California she loved it and her behavior was the best I had ever seen it!

Mainly to sum it all up and not let the thread get too long I'm looking for answers to the above questions. Suggestions on safe neighborhoods/cities/zips to move to close to mid-city, culver city, or just in west La in general where there is oppurtunity for me to continue my job, my daughter to find a part time (16 yrs), safe as it is a female household since my husband passed away in '06, community college nearby, you catch my drift I hope. And if not I'll answer any questions.

Ana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 04:28 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,751,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoaster978 View Post

What is the current avg cost of renting the same over on the West coast?

Monkey around with these tools to get a general idea of rent prices in different locations:

HousingMaps
MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

Old 01-28-2010, 06:12 AM

3,777 posts, read 7,165,585 times
Quote:

But as my teenage daughter suffers from severe depression/bipolar disorder/insomnia, and has gotten into legal trouble at just age 16 I was suggested a change of environment for her and when we went to visit family in California she loved it and her behavior was the best I had ever seen it!

Ana
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but this part jumps out at me. There is nothing magic about California that will help your daughter - in fact, Los Angeles is about the last place I'd move a troubled teen. Was your visit to California a long one? What was it about that trip that helped your daughter? The improvement you saw may be related to the vacation: being with family, doing special things, being out of school, not having time to brood, the novelty of a new place, being away from certain "bad influences." If the "bad influences" are a factor, your daughter will certainly find new ones as soon as you're settled in.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I don't know the answers to all your questions, but this part jumps out at me. There is nothing magic about California that will help your daughter - in fact, Los Angeles is about the last place I'd move a troubled teen. Was your visit to California a long one? What was it about that trip that helped your daughter? The improvement you saw may be related to the vacation: being with family, doing special things, being out of school, not having time to brood, the novelty of a new place, being away from certain "bad influences." If the "bad influences" are a factor, your daughter will certainly find new ones as soon as you're settled in.
I understand where you are coming from completely.
My visit to california was 3 months and she stayed for pretty much a year.
She doesn't attend school over here so we attempted to get her into highschool over there as she has been forcibly withdrawn from all 3 highschools in our city.
Although she refused to get back into school over there her behavior was enough improvement for me for a start because she cleaned up her act completely. (As in she wasn't sneaking out to drink, party, & smoke pot & started playing soccer again)
But that is not the point. I actually feel LA would be good for her because she is a completely different kid around her father's family as she puts her father/his family on a pedestal.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 AM

3,777 posts, read 7,165,585 times
Quote:
I understand where you are coming from completely.
My visit to california was 3 months and she stayed for pretty much a year.
She doesn't attend school over here so we attempted to get her into highschool over there as she has been forcibly withdrawn from all 3 highschools in our city.
Although she refused to get back into school over there her behavior was enough improvement for me for a start because she cleaned up her act completely. (As in she wasn't sneaking out to drink, party, & smoke pot & started playing soccer again)
But that is not the point. I actually feel LA would be good for her because she is a completely different kid around her father's family as she puts her father/his family on a pedestal.
That makes sense. Family makes a big difference.
You might look into other education options besides high school. California has a proficiency exam (other than the GED) that she could take for HS equivalency. (At least it did, as recently as a few years ago.)

Old 01-28-2010, 09:39 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,748,468 times
Cost of living varies dramatically from location to location on the west coast. Urban areas tend to be pretty expensive.

What jumps out at me here is the Section 8 thing: I'm certainly not a Section 8 expert, but I believe there is an EXTREMELY long waiting list to qualify. Actually, I think the LA County list is officially closed, and I read somewhere that the San Diego list is something like 5+ years right now. In other words, don't count on Section 8. (although I'm not sure what "Section 8 with mobility" means; if it means you can move anywhere without worrying about the waiting list then this is less of an issue)

Old 01-28-2010, 09:44 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,641,418 times
Also, Section 8 and "safe family area" seldom cross paths.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:13 AM

69,275 posts, read 79,447,244 times
I can't answer all your questions either but I can a few. 1-you will have to re-apply for a foster license, and it takes time, as a "used to be" foster parent, you may or may not be able to get licensed with health problems. 2-section 8, as mentioned has a very long waiting list, years as a matter of fact, especially right now. 3-As Fontucky said, most areas that have section 8 housing are not particularly desirable.

For these reasons you may want to re-consider a move right now. Oh, do foster parents get paid well in Ca? They used to, but with the state being totally broke the pay may not be as good as in years past. I don't know how many foster children you have had at once but $1700 every 2 weeks but that isn't a lot to live on in Calif for a family of say, 4 people?

If I were you I would contact someone in the city or county you are interested in (Los Angeles co right now) and get some advise. Please do yourself a favor and don't tell them you consider foster parenting a job, that will be a sure way for you not to get licensed. They are looking for foster parents that do not take children in as a means of support. The amount you receive is meant to be for care and not for profit..

Good luck to you and your family

Nita

Old 01-28-2010, 12:56 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
My wife has mentioned wanting to be a foster parent. Not for the money, but because whe wants to serve kids that need the help. In the future when our kids are grown we will have plenty of room for them. I don't see it as a job but as a way to serve children that are in need. As Nita said the money if any should be for the support of the kids.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Cost of living varies dramatically from location to location on the west coast. Urban areas tend to be pretty expensive.

What jumps out at me here is the Section 8 thing: I'm certainly not a Section 8 expert, but I believe there is an EXTREMELY long waiting list to qualify. Actually, I think the LA County list is officially closed, and I read somewhere that the San Diego list is something like 5+ years right now. In other words, don't count on Section 8. (although I'm not sure what "Section 8 with mobility" means; if it means you can move anywhere without worrying about the waiting list then this is less of an issue)
i already have section 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Also, Section 8 and "safe family area" seldom cross paths.
maybe in california that is the case but not here in massachusetts.
i live in a safe, upper class family area on the coast of massachusetts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can't answer all your questions either but I can a few. 1-you will have to re-apply for a foster license, and it takes time, as a "used to be" foster parent, you may or may not be able to get licensed with health problems. 2-section 8, as mentioned has a very long waiting list, years as a matter of fact, especially right now. 3-As Fontucky said, most areas that have section 8 housing are not particularly desirable.

For these reasons you may want to re-consider a move right now. Oh, do foster parents get paid well in Ca? They used to, but with the state being totally broke the pay may not be as good as in years past. I don't know how many foster children you have had at once but $1700 every 2 weeks but that isn't a lot to live on in Calif for a family of say, 4 people?

If I were you I would contact someone in the city or county you are interested in (Los Angeles co right now) and get some advise. Please do yourself a favor and don't tell them you consider foster parenting a job, that will be a sure way for you not to get licensed. They are looking for foster parents that do not take children in as a means of support. The amount you receive is meant to be for care and not for profit..

Good luck to you and your family

Nita
Used to be foster-parent? I am still a foster-parent.
I would not have to be on any waiting list for section 8 as I already have it.
Also don't let who know that I consider foster parenting a job?
I'm doing what I love (being a mother/providing a safe home for children in need, cooking three meals a day, keeping a clean/encouraging environment for a little bit of money a month) I don't do this for the profit if that's what you think. I recieved my foster-parenting license when my sister was incarcerated so that my niece could live with me. And actually the ~$1700 dollars I recieve is for food, household goods/utilities. Each kids recieves a clothing check every month from the department of social services for clothes, school supplies, etc. that goes straight to them. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles