U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 09:59 PM

519 posts, read 894,969 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I'm going to be visiting LA for 3 days in April later this year. (We will be driving out from Las Vegas.)

What is there to do and see? What are the must do's and must see's?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 PM

236 posts, read 478,934 times
Disneyland and Universal Studios.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,852,276 times
It all depends on what you like to do. What sorts of things do you typically like to see or do on vacations?

My list would probably include Hollywood, Griffith Park, Downtown (including a stop at the touristy but fun, and certainly historic, Olvera Street), Venice, and somewhere like either the Getty or the Huntington.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:17 PM

7,092 posts, read 18,509,350 times
Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Hollywood... If you've got time, a drive up PCH to Malibu is nice. Also, don't miss a sunset from the Griffith Park Observatory or Getty Center (or both if you have a chance). I think the theme parks are over rated unless you've got kids.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I'd like to take photographs of the local culture - landmarks, the rich looking people and the homeless. (If possible)

I want to visit the hollywood walk of fame - But have zero idea where this is.

These 2 things will only take a day - if that.

I would also like to take a photo - or two of a cattle call -- is that even possible?

I might try to get a copy of a local paper listing cattle calls and try to go to one...

I'd like to steer clear of the 'tourist bus trips' if possible... we went on one in NY and it was ok but they didn't really treat us (the whole busload) with any respect - (the tour bus was freezing with no heater in January and was well over an hour late with no explaination)

We only took the tour because we were in NY for 4 days only - don't want to make the same mistake again due to shortage of time...

I'm not so keen on Disneyland or Universal Studios - but could be talked around - I think my husband might like to see them both. Neither of us has been, but we have friends who have been.

I'm keen on doing the quirky things - if anyone has any suggestions...

Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, Hollywood... If you've got time, a drive up PCH to Malibu is nice. Also, don't miss a sunset from the Griffith Park Observatory or Getty Center (or both if you have a chance). I think the theme parks are over rated unless you've got kids.
The sunset sounds awesome! Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:33 PM

7,092 posts, read 18,509,350 times
hmmmmmm.....local culture. I'd say check out Melrose Blvd during one afternoon. Also, head to Larchmont Village for coffee one morning and do some window shopping. I think you would absolutely love the farmer's market next to The Grove, a very interesting contrast to say the least. Other cool places locals hang out at are Main St in Santa Monica, downtown Culver City, and Los Feliz Village. You may even enjoy taking a stroll through our universities: UCLA and USC. Although a must see, Hollywood Blvd (walk of fame) and Rodeo Dr in Beverly Hills are over rated and crowded with tourists. The same goes for the Santa Monica Pier and 3rd St Promenade, although to a lesser extent. As for pictures of homeless people, most are in the skid row of downtown and the Venice/Santa Monica area. However, there are plenty all over the city so you shouldn't have a problem finding them.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:36 AM

30,481 posts, read 31,426,033 times
Kodak Theater is another landmark to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles