Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 06:04 AM

4 posts, read 4,426 times

Advertisements

hi everyone,
i'm moving to la and will live there for 2 yrs. i never lived in usa and don't know anything about LA ( i mean i know something but nothing important to live there)- like good neighbourhoods, life expenses etc. I live alone and i'm not a fan of huge appartments- so can you pls tell me something about neighbourhoods- is west hollywood ok. and how much monay is enough for one person to live in LA- i mean without rent- just bills, food etc. and how much would i have to pay for lets say one bd app. i have 9 more months for preparation but would love to hear your opinions. thnx alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times
more important than your questions are: where will you be working and how much can you afford as far as rent goes? LA is a very large city with rents that cover nearly the entire spectrum. Also, traffic is very bad here, so you probably don't want to live too far from your office.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM

736 posts, read 2,285,725 times
West Hollywood is a very nice area...but housing is NOT cheap there.

A very good source for housing rentals is www.craigslist.org Look on the Los Angeles section.

Also, don't forget that the mass transit options in LA are much more limited than in Europe so depending on where you live and work a CAR may be necessary. That costs money too.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:26 PM

well it is not really that important where my app will be becouse i will have to go to office only once a week- so that isn't important.
and i don't know about rent that is why i asked you- i looked at some rentals but i'm totally lost in all that parts of LA.
i will have driver but would like some neighbourhood that is close to downtown but yet safe and nice.
well i eat normal (hehe) and live like that also so aprox. how much $ would i have to spend on food and bills.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:39 PM

12 posts, read 25,006 times
what country did you move from?

Old 02-26-2010, 12:10 AM

18 posts, read 45,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malinky View Post
well it is not really that important where my app will be becouse i will have to go to office only once a week- so that isn't important.
and i don't know about rent that is why i asked you- i looked at some rentals but i'm totally lost in all that parts of LA.
i will have driver but would like some neighbourhood that is close to downtown but yet safe and nice.
well i eat normal (hehe) and live like that also so aprox. how much $ would i have to spend on food and bills.

You mention that you want to be close to downtown in a safe and nice area. I would highly recommend Pasadena, which fulfills all three criteria. It's only a 25 minute train ride, very safe in the downtown Pasadena area, and beautiful with tree lined streets and historic and modern architecture. Please check out my photos of Pasadena here to get a better idea:

Pasadena - a set on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/brighamyen/sets/72157607785534747/ - broken link)

Pasadena is connected to Downtown LA by the metro Gold Line train (only$1.25, only 0.74EUR one way!) and has a very nice downtown core.
Pasadena has some very relatively cheaper rent compared to the rest of the Westside. You can get a very nice one bedroom for about $1000-$1200 in a small building.

To find out more info about Pasadena, check out my real estate blog here:

Pasadena Real Estate with Brigham Yen

Plus, there is just so much tied to Pasadena including: Caltech (California Institute of Technology), JPL (Jet Propulsion Laboratory), Art Center College of Design, Le Gordon Bleu -California School of Culinary Arts, Norton Simon Museum, Huntington Library, Asia Pacific Museum, Pasadena California Art Museum, Old Town, Carnegie Observatory, Pasadena City College, Rose Bowl, Rose Parade, Gamble House, the first and original Trader Joes in the world, etc.

It's just a great place to live in LA!

Old 02-26-2010, 12:27 AM

Gardena is a nice place to live as well. Safe. Although it's japanese mostly but if you have no racist attitude then it is alright. Don't try places like compton, inglewood, hawthorne. Lawndale is also nice. City is huge. It is not an easy decision to make being somewhere else.

It also depends where you coming from. If you coming from say Germany than LA won't be expensive to you. To having convert Euros to dollars is a good bargain.

Old 02-26-2010, 12:59 AM

in general if I were you I'd probably move to SAnta Monica. You get the best beaches and one of the best neighborhoods in one. thus it also got freeways. I think that only germans have better roads than Los angelenos so there's nothing much to be worried about. Traffic is not that bad.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:35 AM

thank you very much on these informations.
I'm moving from Monaco to LA.
Really looking forward to that. life here is very expensive- i spend for food and bills little less than 2000 euros- so it is around 2800 $. i heard that that is little cheaper in usa.

Old 02-26-2010, 04:47 AM

definitely cheaper compared to places like monaco. I am originally from east europe so that was expensive for me here in the united states at first. It will be definitely cheaper for you. It wasn't even that expensive for me so don't really worry about the prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles