Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 12:11 AM

65 posts, read 245,830 times

Advertisements

I think you'd like Burbank. It's safe, clean, freeway close, as is USC hospital. It's the media capital of the world, so we've got plenty of upwardly mobile, young, single, studio employees. Close to everything, great to come home to, or just stay home, it's great. 5 minutes to Hollywood, 35 to the beach, people are friendly and we have our own school system and police department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 11:08 PM

7 posts, read 17,013 times
Default Hadn't Yet Considered Burbank

Thanks for the suggestion. Will definitely check things out. The demographic sounds cool. My previous impression, based on very little reading and even less word of mouth, was that Burbank was fairly conventionally residential or perhaps slightly yuppie. Again this was based on absolutely no reasonable source of information.
I had the impression that I would be less likely to wander out after work and grab a drink, see a band or hit a cool restaurant with out maybe traveling elsewhere. Will have often very little time (and often even less sleep) so centrality of leisure/recreational activities and a neighborhood vibe would be useful. How is Burbank in that respect? Be very interested in any further comments.

As an aside, my longest (and really only) Burbank association runs way back to being an 8 year old and having Bob Barker admonish me to "...have your pets spayed or neutered." Conjured up an image of a land where feral cats and dogs ravished unsuspecting lines of future studio audiences, carrying their handbag-encumbered or ball-capped bodies back to dark lairs in the Hollywood Hills.

Is not like that is it?

Old 02-03-2010, 11:30 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
lol, no. burbank is very residential and mostly quiet, but it neighbors studio city, universal city, and even parts of hollywood so you'll never be too far from something to do. also, burbank has a quaint little dowtown with a few decent places to get grab a bite or a drink. i still think you're better off a little further southeast in say los feliz or silverlake.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:47 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times
Burbank is good, mostly due to the fact that you will be able to find a quiet place. I know you surgery interns/residents need your sleep!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:58 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,724,400 times
Burbank is nice, and if you have time you might want to check it out, but from your description it doesn't really sound like what you're after. Parts of downtown are more yuppified than others, but other parts have more character. You could certainly live there and be able to walk for dinner or drinks, though, and it does seem to have a neighborhood vibe (at least from a visitor's perspective it does).

Old 02-08-2010, 04:25 PM

736 posts, read 2,294,457 times
Destruktor: I may offend the Burbank crowd but I do NOT think it really fits the bill for what you described you are looking for.

Don't get me wrong, it's NOT a bad place. I just think it's kind of boring and not very interesting, esp. compared to the other areas that have been suggested to you: Los Feliz, Echo Park, Silverlake, Downtown LA, Pasadena, etc.

Again, no offense to the local Burbank folks...and the OP will have to ultimatley decide what is best for the OP. There is just nothing exceptional about Burbank, esp. when compared to the other areas noted previously....

Old 02-10-2010, 07:46 PM

571 posts, read 1,931,883 times
I was going to say Echo Park as well.
I don't think Burbank is quite what he is looking for.
Los Feliz, Echo Park or Silverlake areas I would say would be his best bet. I lived in Glendale so I've been around all of those places quite a bit.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 PM

571 posts, read 1,931,883 times
BRGHT, HDWD FLOORS, FRONT PORCH - SUBLET in ECHO PARK through MARCH! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1584135285.html - broken link)
Echo park apt w/ Downtown skyline view! (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1584094378.html - broken link)
Echo Park- Angelino Heights-Remodeled-Pets (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1595328578.html - broken link)
Beautiful Echo Park Townhome (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1592522503.html - broken link)
Great 2 bed/2 bath house in Echo Park (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1594187234.html - broken link)
Beautiful Echo Park with Views of Downtown (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1586151317.html - broken link)

Higher end Los Feliz -
This one was ALWAYS my favorite. You get a discount for signing a longer lease. I think this is probably a winner with you. Or maybe too high end..? lol
$1895 - $2100/ MONTH ($150 / DAY) **** 2BR / 1 BATH EXECUTIVE SUITE ** (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1595076236.html - broken link)

Old 02-10-2010, 10:38 PM

7 posts, read 17,013 times
Default Great Suggestions

Wow. Thanks again. I agree after reviewing things that Burbank may be a little too conventional for what I am looking for. The suggestions of Echo Park/Silverlake/Los Feliz et al. are fantastic and I appreciate the information from all of you. It will really allow me to focus my hunt and maximize my time in LA.

Tasksgirl, thanks so much for the links to representative properties. The executive suite is precisely the sort of place I am looking for. I'm moving form being a resident with low salary and huge debt to a fellow with slightly larger salary and persistently huge debt but a definite light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to ditching the futon and rock concert poster lifestyle for something that feels a it more established.

Be down in May to sort a place out so will update the result after everyone's kind assistance. In the meantime, I welcome any and all further suggestions/advice etc. I'm still thrilled about learning that I might not be facing and hour plus commute each way to work.

As an aside, many of the fellows at LAC/USC live in Pasadena. I spent 36 hours at the Westin there during my interviews. My impression is that it is hotter, maybe more air quality issues and less vibrant/interesting/edgy than the other areas. Any comments?

Thanks again. You all rock.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:42 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Don't commit to a place until you've checked out Hermosa and Manhattan Beach. Gotta a feeling those places will blow the others away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles