Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 PM

125 posts, read 384,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destruktor View Post
The ongoing commentary is great. I generally ruled out the beach communities because the commute seemed difficult. Might be something I'd consider after being a little more familiar with LA. Because I will be on call and working so much, I hope to minimize travel time. I'm not used to car-based commuting so the less mandatory 'stop-start-stop-start time' in my manual transmission the better.

I think when I used 'edgy', I intended to mean I was not looking for a very, conventional, well-settled, 'yuppie' community and that I was fine living somewhere more transitional or with an urban feel that some people or families might find less attractive. I don't want to have to walk the streets in body armor but would like to see some diversity (economic, political, cultural, musical) more in keeping with places I've previously lived.

Both 'uptown_urbanist' and 'Island_OnThe_Land' continue to demonstrate a good feel for what I am looking for. I think my strategy at this point will be to focus on the Loz Feliz/Silverlake/Echo Park areas with a bit of downtown as well. Then, for contrast (if time allows) I'll take a quick roll past a beach community. Google maps indicates commutes greater than an hour (in traffic) for communities such as Santa Monica and Manhatttan/Hermosa Beaches. Likely much more daily travel than I could tolerate initially. I also think I'll give Pasedena a miss for now unless new evidence turns up.

Great to be in a city with so many options. And always interested in more suggestions.

Let us know how it all works out! Also, feel free to give me a job when I finish my surg tech schooling next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles