U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 09:03 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,841,726 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I should have been more precise: I really couldn't care less about the 'drop' per se. It's using footage of something that happened 3 hours earlier somewhere else, to celebrate something happening in real time HERE. It could be ANY event, actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
It bothers you that New York celebrates New Year's Eve at midnight local time? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 09:13 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,293,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
Perhaps I should have been more precise: I really couldn't care less about the 'drop' per se. It's using footage of something that happened 3 hours earlier somewhere else, to celebrate something happening in real time HERE. It could be ANY event, actually.
I guess I wouldn't rely on television programming in order to 'celebrate' something.

The reality is that the Eastern Time Zone is by far the most populous in the United States. Our capitol is in the Eastern Time Zone, as is our largest city (New York).

Change the channel and watch something local. Or turn off the television. That almost always improves ones life.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:15 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
I would rather go to a cool club and celebrate new years than to watch it on TV. LOL

Old 06-01-2010, 07:32 PM

Default Reality check...

Wow, how condescending (among other things). I thought it was fairly obvious that I was not someone who delighted in watching NYE on delay.

Must be because I reside in a sub-standard time zone. Or is it my weak population base? Enlighten me. I'll turn my TV off and everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyageur View Post
I guess I wouldn't rely on television programming in order to 'celebrate' something.

The reality is that the Eastern Time Zone is by far the most populous in the United States. Our capitol is in the Eastern Time Zone, as is our largest city (New York).

Change the channel and watch something local. Or turn off the television. That almost always improves ones life.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:16 PM

15,370 posts, read 25,573,172 times
The truth of the matter is that time zones are man made. The entire nation of China has one time zone. If you are visiting from the United States you would have a tendency to think that they have multiple time zones, as how can it be the same time on the East part of the nation as the west part of the nation. They do it to keep everyone on the same time within their borders.

If you were sitting on the equator noon would be when the sun is above your head. 6 AM is when the sun comes up and 6PM is when the sun goes down. Anyone situated between the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn can probably figure on a 12 hour day and a 12 hour night 365 days a year.

The only problem is that not all people will have the sun above their head at the same time. So we have awards shows that start early so that people in New York can see them late. One thing about living on the west coast is that games are played when they are supposed to be played. The Laker game will be on here at the right time while those in Boston are watching it late at night.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:27 AM
TT1

149 posts, read 383,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
This has bugged me for sometime, especially the Times Square 'ball drop.' People deride Angelenos lack of NYE interest.

Why? Gee, could it have something to do with the fact that the drop happened three hours ago and we are supposed to pretend that it is happening in real time? Who wouldn't get excited about something like that?!?

So people in New York should just pretend it isn't 12:00 am and wait a few hours for people in Los Angeles to catch up before they start their NYE celebrations?

Quote:
Even the Laker games are always advertised as starting on EST (even when the games originate HERE at Staples Center). It's bad enough we can't even listen to our Laker announcers on TV, having to instead suffer through an obvious East Coast bias (Jackson, Van Gundy, et al).
1. New York City is by far the most dominant/important city in the United States with the largest media market, so it only makes sense.
2. The East Coast time zone is the most populous.
3. The world revolves around NYC

Last edited by TT1; 06-03-2010 at 12:37 AM..

Old 06-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Cool Children of a Lesser Time Zone

From my post:

"It's using footage of something that happened 3 hours earlier somewhere else, to celebrate something happening in real time HERE. It could be ANY event, actually."

How you made this into some sort of anti-NYC insult is beyond me. True, I think the broadcasters back East are Laker-haters. I doubt you'll find many who disagree with me on that point.

Oh well. I was always led to believe that skin was thicker out there. I admit I was wrong.

PS: It will be a sad day when/if my life ever 'revolves' around NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT1 View Post
So people in New York should just pretend it isn't 12:00 am and wait a few hours for people in Los Angeles to catch up before they start their NYE celebrations?

1. New York City is by far the most dominant/important city in the United States with the largest media market, so it only makes sense.
2. The East Coast time zone is the most populous.
3. The world revolves around NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or