U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 04:57 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,372,418 times

Advertisements

Bartending school is relatively cheap and its a short commitment so I don't think it's necessarily a waste. But it's not going to help you get job. You need connection, or start off as barback and work your way up. Bartending can be good money but it is also a stressful job with a lot of responsibility - gotta be quick on your feet, hands, and mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 05:02 PM

25 posts, read 80,179 times
Of course it's a scam, you have to go to school to learn how to mix a drink? Are you kidding me? You would have to have five people that are really working in that field, verify that they are really working and really went to that school. Go into the medical field, there will always be jobs in that, anything else is iffy now!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:06 PM

43 posts, read 48,954 times
Actually I read a lot about the Best Bartending School in North Hollywood. It seems really legit and most of the posts appear to be written by regular people. I was thinking about going there and becoming a part time bartender. It looks like they have the ability to set up most of their grads with jobs.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:07 PM

43 posts, read 48,954 times
Checked this out further. Most of the hotels, restaurant groups (i.e. cheesecake factories and TGI Fridays etc) and catering companies require bartending school certification. This seems to be a prereq for at least a year before working in a Hollywood scene bar or club unless one is ridiculously talented or good looking.

Most of the run of the mill bars, clubs, and restaurants don't really care about bartending school and this too can still be a prereq to the lucrative Hollywood scene.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 842 times
Default Do NOT Go To Bartending School!

I urge you not to waste your money. I did it, despite having bartending experience and also the place claimed "job placement". Many if not all of the positions were bogus, the people weren't there as I was told...times were wrong, everything about this was just wrong.

But above all DO NOT GO TO BARTENDER'S TRAINING INSTITUTE in North Hollywood. The instructor there is a tyrant and brings people to their knees with his cruelty.

The best way to become a bartender is to have one you know teach you privately. Or become a server and observe.

I do believe that the reason so many doors were slammed in my face is because I went to one of these schools. Had I known that the place I attended had such a bad rep I would never have gone there. Next time I will do my research.

Save your money, please, and best of luck. I got screwed as did many others. The "great" reviews this place has were written by the owners and maybe some young kids who actually did get jobs at some dumps in the Valley.

Hope this helps a bit and saves you from making a big, time-wasting mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles