U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 08:26 AM

3 posts, read 6,390 times

Advertisements

Hey, ive been thinking about moving from the uk for some time now and just wanted to ask what the chances are of finding a job in LA as a car panel beater in a car body repair shop . I been doing this job for sometime now and just want to get away from England for a while...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 AM

30,316 posts, read 31,191,100 times
You need a work permit/visa before getting a job in the USA.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:52 AM

yeah i just want to find out what the demand for work is like for car body repair shops, because i dont want to get a work permit move to LA and there be a low amount of jobs in my line of work.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,748,468 times
The job market for all but the most specialized fields is terrible right now. I assume that goes for car body repair shops, too. In most cases you have to get the job before the visa, anyway.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,063,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
You need a work permit/visa before getting a job in the USA.
Ugh. I can't stand these kind of comments. I think he already knows that, he's not 5. So unhelpful.

My ex husband got a job working for Lamborghini but this was in San Diego. He got hired pretty fast. The pay started off not so good, which I thought was shocking but after a year they really put his salary up. He's good now.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:53 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,748,468 times
Miss Pip, was this within the past two years? Because if it wasn't, the economy has drastically changed in recent years. Not to say that someone can't just show up and manage to get a job (people do get lucky), but that's painting an unrealistically optimistic picture for most of us.

And I don't think the comments here have been unreasonable, given that the OP DID ask if he should get the work permit before he moved/found a job -- people are trying to be helpful here.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Miss Pip, was this within the past two years? Because if it wasn't, the economy has drastically changed in recent years. Not to say that someone can't just show up and manage to get a job (people do get lucky), but that's painting an unrealistically optimistic picture for most of us.

And I don't think the comments here have been unreasonable, given that the OP DID ask if he should get the work permit before he moved/found a job -- people are trying to be helpful here.
He must have edited his post because it doesn't say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny1989 View Post
Hey, ive been thinking about moving from the uk for some time now and just wanted to ask what the chances are of finding a job in LA as a car panel beater in a car body repair shop . I been doing this job for sometime now and just want to get away from England for a while...
My ex got the job in 2007 and I recently got 2 job offers last month but my field is graphic design.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:27 AM

364 posts, read 862,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post

I agree.

And Miss Pip, no offense but you mentioned that your ex got a job BUT it was in San Diego. You mentioned that you got 2 job offers BUT your field is in graphic design.

Again, no offense but your answers don't seem to be helping the OP at all since he is looking for a job in Los Angeles and in the auto industry. Ironic since you accused another person of being unhelpful.

To the OP, if I were you,I would visit L.A. and just ask around. Better to see what the odds are before you make the huge leap.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:12 AM

Miss Pip
i agree i already knew about a work permit but its all good im not here to argue just trying to find out some valuble information, as far as that goes thanks everyone for helping me out.

Lovetheoutdoors
yeah i was thinking visiting LA would be my best option, hopefully it will give me a better idea then i can figure out my plan from there because this is a big step in my life but thanks for your help aswell.

and everyone else thanks for helping..

Old 02-04-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheoutdoors View Post
I agree.

And Miss Pip, no offense but you mentioned that your ex got a job BUT it was in San Diego. You mentioned that you got 2 job offers BUT your field is in graphic design.

Again, no offense but your answers don't seem to be helping the OP at all since he is looking for a job in Los Angeles and in the auto industry. Ironic since you accused another person of being unhelpful.

To the OP, if I were you,I would visit L.A. and just ask around. Better to see what the odds are before you make the huge leap.

Lamborghini have a dealership in LA and yes it was in San Diego but keep in mind that San Diego is a lot harder then LA. It's a smaller city. LA has way more opportunities so if it can be done in SD then it can be done in LA.

Yes I work in graphic design but my industry is still extremely competitive so my point is it can be done regardless of how hard the industry is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or