U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:01 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,031,489 times

Advertisements

1200 would allow you to rent in somewhere like Long Beach. Probably not in the most savory neighborhood, but decent enough(especially if you go near Long Beach Community College) and you can hit the rail line nearby in to LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 08:09 PM

4,032 posts, read 8,301,481 times
$600-800/mo 2 bedroom apartment, huh?

You can live at Western/MLK or nearby.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:21 PM

6,203 posts, read 15,015,619 times
Unless you want to live in either the worst possible area (and in the worst possible building within it!), or be so far out that a commute would suck the life from you and the money from your wallet (gas and car repairs/maintenance) this budget will not work. Honestly, you'd be putting your family through Hell. There are a lot of slumlords who take advantage of poor people, even though there have been crackdowns over the years. I vote with you either staying in Orlando or moving here first and scoping everything out before uprooting your entire family.

Case in point: I pay $1,398 for a two-bedroom in Sherman Oaks. My apartment is nice, but even so it's hardly the lap of luxury. My rent is twice what you're budgeting. Please be realistic.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:44 AM

16 posts, read 72,140 times
You mentioned Venice as a starting out point... If you're looking to rent on the Westside you're not going to be able to find something for under $1000, and that would be for a one bedroom. Years back I managed to find a 2 bedroom apartment in Westchester for $1100 however it was one of the buildings that was scheduled to be torn down to build a new parking lot for the airport. Most of the apartment buildings that were still standing in the area were vacant and had a lot of unsavory characters loitering about throughout the day. I did not feel safe there and moved out ASAP.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 AM

3,778 posts, read 7,167,630 times
I sent you a direct message.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 AM

559 posts, read 1,075,860 times
This is an uninformed suggestion but would it be possible to commute on a motorcycle? Used bikes can be relatively inexpensive, their fuel and maintenance costs are less, it doesn't rain much in L.A. and you can legally lane split here so you will be less affected by congestion. This will allow you to live farther away where safe housing with good schools is cheaper without sucking up the time that commuting with a car would entail. The obvious downside is that you are less safe and it would be terrible to leave your wife a widow or a parent who has to care for you and your kids. Of course, if window washing requires that you own a work vehicle, a bike is a non-starter.

I've never ridden a motorcycle so consider this option with a full shaker of salt.

Best of luck to you and your family.

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 02-04-2010 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: clarity

Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM

15,371 posts, read 25,579,836 times
As a former window washer I can tell you that it is hard to live on one income around here. Will your wife be working as well? Do you plan on getting a second job or taking on side work? I think a base rent for a 2 bedroom in many parts of the metro area would start around $1,200 on the low end. In Oxnard about 60 miles north west of Downtown you would need that much for an older place.

Old 02-04-2010, 01:02 PM

236 posts, read 476,991 times
Default Relocation

The places in that area range in price from $700-$1000. Some are long time residents and others are on section 8. It is not a safe area to live in. Burglaries, drugs, gangs, no jobs, poor bus service, clinics, little to no quality shopping, failed schools. I could go on. Oh, I remember the days of low rent prices and quality living in California. Those days are gone. I wish you all the best!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
$600-800/mo 2 bedroom apartment, huh?

You can live at Western/MLK or nearby.

Old 02-05-2010, 04:47 PM

5 posts, read 11,901 times
First of all....forget about $600-800 for a 2 bedroom. I am shopping myself, and I'm moving to be close to work in the Mid-Wilshire area. I'm also looking over there because it's CHEAPER. But it's still $700-800 for a SINGLE apartment in a vintage building. That includes utilities so for someone who's acclimated to real estate prices in L.A. I am pleasantly surprised. But I wouldn't dream of finding a 2 bedroom in that same price range. You will spend $1000 or more for a 2 bedroom, unless you are willing to live in a less than desirable area and I don't think you want to put your kids there. Also, be VERY careful of real estate scammers! They will advertise properties for unbelievable prices complete with fake photos. Do not give them any money prior to viewing the property. Email them asking for the street address and get someone to run title for you to get the lowdown on the property. Some owners will rent out houses really cheap knowing they are in foreclosure and sometimes a sale date has even been set. There are also the "flippers", who plan on only being into the property for as long as it takes to sell it. Please be careful. You know what they say about "If it seems too good to be true". The worst offenders are on CRAIGSLIST. If you aren't sure, send the ad to me and I'll check it out....for free of course. They do not care if you only have $2000 in savings...they will take it ALL. BE CAREFUL.

Old 02-05-2010, 05:25 PM

3 posts, read 3,811 times
I would try Burbank, Glendale area. you will get a better deal in the valley, BE careful! I would call the local police station before I made the move, I suggest get the address and than phone them up. I am from Burbank, and you may find an apartment but prob one bedroom. Venice is great! Good Luck!
I like uptown_urbanist idea....sounds like a winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or