U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:10 PM
YBF YBF started this thread

1,260 posts, read 2,922,956 times

Advertisements

This will be my first trip to LA or the West Coast period. I am having trouble finding a place to stay. Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel in a decent location? I want to be close to downtown LA or the airport or atleast Universal or something. Its seems like on everysite Ive been to that even the nice hotels arent that nice according to the reviews Ive read. Is $100 or less per night to cheap for a good stay in LA? Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 04:18 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,761,228 times
Read reviews with a grain of salt. And yes, at $100 or less you're not going to be staying in the lap of luxury (and will probably be staying somewhere with at least some bad reviews), but it's doable. And the nice hotels are among some of the nicest around (people will complain about anything), but you're not going to afford the nice hotels on that budget.

I wouldn't bother staying near LAX unless you're planning on doing a lot of things out there. If you're doing the standard LA tourist stuff you'll find it inconvenient.

My relatives used to stay at the Motel 6 on Whitley in Hollywood; extremely centrally located, and fairly inexpensive. They stayed there because it was close to our place, but were happy enough with it to stay there again. Parking costs money there if you have a car, though. There are a bunch of other hotels clustered up closer to Hollywood and Highland, and some of them sometimes offer base rates under $100/night (not sure what they run once you add in tax).

Old 02-03-2010, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Read reviews with a grain of salt. And yes, at $100 or less you're not going to be staying in the lap of luxury (and will probably be staying somewhere with at least some bad reviews), but it's doable. And the nice hotels are among some of the nicest around (people will complain about anything), but you're not going to afford the nice hotels on that budget.

I wouldn't bother staying near LAX unless you're planning on doing a lot of things out there. If you're doing the standard LA tourist stuff you'll find it inconvenient.

My relatives used to stay at the Motel 6 on Whitley in Hollywood; extremely centrally located, and fairly inexpensive. They stayed there because it was close to our place, but were happy enough with it to stay there again. Parking costs money there if you have a car, though. There are a bunch of other hotels clustered up closer to Hollywood and Highland, and some of them sometimes offer base rates under $100/night (not sure what they run once you add in tax).
First let me say thanks for responding. I am not stuck on the $100/night price... but I would like to know what is a reasonable budget for a hotel in LA? I really just need a decent place to stay that isnt a roach motel or in the hood. Im not one of those ppl that need pricey hotel when I vacation. I am doing most of the touristy things and would like to be close to those things if possible. I will check out that motel 6 though. Thanks for you help!!!

Also I have found this motel......it has a lot of good reviews (some bad but not many and none recent) is this near where I would want to be?
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...alifornia.html

Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM

2,318 posts, read 6,843,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
First let me say thanks for responding. I am not stuck on the $100/night price... but I would like to know what is a reasonable budget for a hotel in LA? I really just need a decent place to stay that isnt a roach motel or in the hood. Im not one of those ppl that need pricey hotel when I vacation. I am doing most of the touristy things and would like to be close to those things if possible. I will check out that motel 6 though. Thanks for you help!!!

Also I have found this motel......it has a lot of good reviews (some bad but not many and none recent) is this near where I would want to be?
La Quinta Inn & Suites LAX (Los Angeles, CA) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor
That hotel is clustered with a bunch of other hotels on Century Blvd by LAX. Not much to do around there unless you are looking for fast food or strip joints. There's plent of Comfort Inns, and Holiday Inn Express' around town. Try looking for one north of the 10 freeway... closer to the mountains the better.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LASam View Post
That hotel is clustered with a bunch of other hotels on Century Blvd by LAX. Not much to do around there unless you are looking for fast food or strip joints. There's plent of Comfort Inns, and Holiday Inn Express' around town. Try looking for one north of the 10 freeway... closer to the mountains the better.
Im not familiar with the area so if you could give me a few zip codes or specific areas to search around that would be very helpful(like what are some area names that are north of 10 freeway) thx

Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM

736 posts, read 1,959,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Im not familiar with the area so if you could give me a few zip codes or specific areas to search around that would be very helpful(like what are some area names that are north of 10 freeway) thx

I agree with both of the previous two posts...stay away from LAX. Nothing going on around there LASam is right...it's really just fast food and strip joints.

Some of the areas north of the 10 Freeway that would be good to stay in include: Hollwyood, West Hollywood, Beverly Hills, West LA, Santa Monica, Fairfax District, Mid-Wilshire, Park La Brea, etc.

The only exception I would note is Santa Monica where staying NORTH and SOUTH of the 10 Freeway is perfectly acceptable.

Staying in Downtown LA or Hollywood is not a bad idea if you want to utilize the subway which will take you from Downtown to Hollywood to Universal Studios. Granted you will probably want to rent a car for the rest of your trip but that would at least give an option to leave the car at the hotel avoid LA's crazy freeway traffic. And our subway is less than 20 years old so it's still very CLEAN, SAFE, and PLEASANT to ride.

Even if you elect not to use the subway, both HOLLYWOOD and DOWNTOWN LA are good, centrally located places to stay.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:15 AM

1,184 posts, read 2,427,240 times
I went to LA last June and stayed at the Custom Hotel near LAX. Trendy style hotel. I found it on hotels.com. Some say it's not a convenient location, but I did just fine. I had no problems driving around the city from that location. Maybe it was the days or time I drove, but traffic to me wasn't that bad, but I'm also from a city with a lot sprawl.

There's also La Quinta's and Motel 6 on W Hollywood, which I'm thinking about staying at when I go again. It was around $50 last time I checked.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:17 AM

519 posts, read 891,864 times
Eek we're staying in Orange County - is this a bad choice?

Old 02-05-2010, 08:43 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,761,228 times
Orange County is a bad choice if you're doing much in LA; it's a good choice if you're planning spending a lot of time at places like Disneyland or the beach towns that direction.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:16 AM

2,318 posts, read 6,843,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
Eek we're staying in Orange County - is this a bad choice?
Orange County is a BIG place... where in Orange County are you staying? Most convenient if you plan on doing a lot in LA would be around Anaheim or Huntington Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles