Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:40 PM

3 posts, read 6,129 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to LA area due to my job. Im williing to go up to $1,ooo but no more because I need to pay utilities and a car too! Im relocating with my 2 kids and my wife so I will like an area where she can take the bus or walk to do her arrands and take the kids to school. For the time being I plan to buy a used car for me to go to work I already know how and where!! I only have $2,000 in savings but if I dont go with my job I will endup without a job here in Orlando FL and my family will get evicted too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 02:45 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,105,135 times
victorville maybe. lancaster?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:53 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,632,749 times
Where in LA is your job located?

Old 02-03-2010, 02:55 PM

1,631 posts, read 4,205,363 times
Yeah, you can barely rent a room for $800. Good luck to you. Hopefully your job will pay for the move.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:04 PM

16 posts, read 90,992 times
It will take some work but it is possible to find places that are somewhat affordable. But everything depends on where your job is at and how much of a commute you are willing to make. One of my co-workers just found a two-bedroom house in Upland which, if you were commuting to downtown LA would be one heck of a commute. I currently live in Glendora and I know there are some two-bedroom apartments that you can get for around $1000. You might have some luck with San Dimas or La Verne as well.

If you want closer to the actual city you can probably find an apartment for around $900 or so in Montebello, Pico Rivera, San Gabriel, Huntington Park, etc. But be warned... They're not the greatest of neighborhoods by any stretch of the imagination and the schools will show that.

If you were able to increase your housing budget to about $1200 a month you would find a LOT better options. But you might find that you find an apartment for $800 and end up paying over $400 a month in gas to commute to your job.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:06 PM

628 posts, read 2,037,083 times
seems like a really low budget--I have friends in Burbank that pay $1100 for a nice 1 bedroom.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:11 PM

Its in different parts of LA.. Thats why Im getting a car... We will be starting in Venince...

Old 02-03-2010, 03:18 PM

Im a highrise window cleaner their is no telling all the places I can be going to work in LA!! I need to rent for that price for now until next year that I be able to afford more. What I really care is that my family has a safe home and public transportation to errands without gangs harrasing them.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:59 PM

13,791 posts, read 8,126,218 times
Check Craig's List also for apts to rent...they usually have all price points in different areas of LA.

Case in point...Hard To Find,Family Starter Home,Wooden Staircase,Lots of Rooms (http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/apa/1584608188.html - broken link)

Old 02-03-2010, 04:55 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,632,749 times
As much as I like Craigslist as a resource, keep in mind that at this price point many of the listings are gong to be scams. Be very careful. In general, a 2BR house or apartment in an even semi-safe neighborhood that is still close enough to be considered "LA area" that costs $800 or less (or even $1,000 or less) is probably too good to be true.

If you could bump your budget up to $1,200 you would have far more realistic options.

Honestly, at this extremely low budget I'd seriously consider rethinking the whole move. At some point it's worth it to just stay where you are, get unemployment, and look for a new job, especially if your wife has a job there and/or if you have family in Orlando. Is your work paying for your relocation? If not, that could eat up the whole $2k savings right there. I assume that this is related to the other threads posted earlier today about relocating to LA from Orlando? Or, another alternative: keep the family where they are, then you move out, rent a cheap room, send money home, and then move the family when you have a better sense of final budget and neighborhoods. I know sometimes you have to do what you have to do in this economy, but if you honestly want a safe 2BR at that price you're almost certainly going to have to rent so far out that you'll spend all your time commuting (and lots of money on gas), anyway, and if you could come first (even if only for a few months) you'd have more time to leisurely check out rental options and wouldn't have take something right away and end up regretting it. I'd at least look at all the options before making the move.

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 02-04-2010 at 01:49 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles