U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 11:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,917 times

Advertisements

I'm a 24/m and plan to make the LA move in a few months (around the beginning of Summer). PunkAlien is right that especially if you a broke recent grad, quality of living has to be thrown out the window...its all about the sacrifice..and c'mon homelessness/poor living has its perks! The people who really want it, can make it. I would love to talk to some like-minded folk and exchange ideas/advice/knowledge/etc. and maybe make some friends in the process. I am working as a freelance camera assistant in the midwest right now with some west coast contacts. hit me up if you want to talk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 12:34 AM

9,197 posts, read 13,465,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminbenjamin View Post
c'mon homelessness/poor living has its perks!
Just refrain from berating passersby who don't throw money into the hat. It's considered a bit rude out here.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:16 PM

4 posts, read 8,090 times
I am also seriously considering moving to LA sometime later this year. I'm an aspiring screenwriter and hopefully, I'll be able to get a job as a script reader (I heard that was a good entry level job for screenwriters). Does anyone know anything about that?

Old 02-21-2010, 10:14 PM

892 posts, read 1,126,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Aside from the MidWest being extremely cold, I still don't get the draw for young persons moving out to the LA, or coastal areas in general.

I'm 26 myself and have been living in CA since four, after my stepdad moved us out of Indiana.
I guess it's all about reversals, those of us landlocked in a quiet area want to break into a livelier zone, while the rest of us have pretty much already had enough of it.
That is because you have basically lived in it your whole life so you are use to it and see the good and the bad. When I first came to Chicago, I thought it was great and had rose colored glasses, but now I am sick of it too and want to leave. Btw, warm weather is a big draw especially if you to be active outside year round. Being indoors half the year is depressing since I like to play sports and jog. You have no idea what is like to wake up, put on layers and knowing the cold is going to hit your face for months on end. On top of that I hate going out at night with more than a jacket. So therefore I am not as active in nightlife and dancing as I would like to be since I wear more clothes and feel uncomfortable. Plus your city is beautiful with plenty of activities. Most cities do not have all three elements at once great weather, beautiful landscape, which means a lot to me, and plenty to do. Some cities have two or one but not all. I live in the Chicago, and there is plenty to do, but the weather is horrible most of the year and the landscape is depressing. So if the weather is cold, I do not care if there is a lot to do because I will not be out. To me Los Angeles is a near perfect city for people not into urban lifestyles. Do not take that for granted.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:04 AM

23 posts, read 50,480 times
Quote:
I'm a 24/m and plan to make the LA move in a few months (around the beginning of Summer). PunkAlien is right that especially if you a broke recent grad, quality of living has to be thrown out the window...its all about the sacrifice..and c'mon homelessness/poor living has its perks! The people who really want it, can make it. I would love to talk to some like-minded folk and exchange ideas/advice/knowledge/etc. and maybe make some friends in the process. I am working as a freelance camera assistant in the midwest right now with some west coast contacts. hit me up if you want to talk!
From your post, we sound like we have pretty similar careers and goals/attitudes, so I friended you back! Feel free to message me. I wouldn't be coming to LA from the Midwest but I've lived in upstate NY (as in 2 hrs drive to montreal vs 4 hrs to nyc) most of my life (minus 4 years in NYC for school) and I have a feeling the two places are not all that dissimilar.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:15 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,148,180 times
I'm 20 (21 in July), college graduate, and moving down to LA for family reasons. After all, I grew up there That, jury duty, and the need for some peace and quiet and not paying rent. Yeah.

The feeling of adventure isn't quite there, since I know most of LA like the back of my hand. It's probably as exciting as watching paint dry.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:03 PM

17 posts, read 32,031 times
Quote:
LMAO .... if it wasn't so sad.

NOTHING you did in the midwest or the east coast or Europe, for that matter, is going to count for S**T here in L.A.

You are NOT going to get camera gig out here if you are homeless. You CAN'T expect to live under a bridge in L.A. and make it to the shoots you will be required to be at 6:00 a.m.

If you want to sacrifice something ... I have a P.O. Box that you can send checks to. At least I won't ask you to bend over and drop your drawers first.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 8,090 times
I'm sure the homeless remark was exaggeration. I think he meant more like living on Ramen and sleeping on an air mattress as opposed to actually sleeping under a bridge.

And I agree with him, you got to give up something to make a move to such a big and expensive place. And the comfy-ness of the Midwest or wherever is probably the first to go.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 AM

23 posts, read 50,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRaptor View Post
I'm sure the homeless remark was exaggeration. I think he meant more like living on Ramen and sleeping on an air mattress as opposed to actually sleeping under a bridge.

And I agree with him, you got to give up something to make a move to such a big and expensive place. And the comfy-ness of the Midwest or wherever is probably the first to go.
yeah that's what i got out of his comment too. some people on this forum seem to think they are super witty and hilarious with their comments on posts from people seeking to relocate to LA. roboweb, what is your deal with the jaded and bitter "advice" in threads like this? weren't you the same guy who messaged me on here saying he could be my "agent", asking for "pics" and about my figure? even if you hadn't gotten my career aspirations totally wrong, i wouldn't have been that ****ing stupid.

on edit: just for full disclosure. i'm a proud size six (this actually might be obese by LA standards) and potentially working for a non-profit for my first gig. so... there's the door.

Last edited by xartiswhy; 02-23-2010 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: extra snark!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:18 AM

24 posts, read 133,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xartiswhy View Post
just for full disclosure. i'm a proud size six (this actually might be obese by LA standards) and potentially working for a non-profit for my first gig. so... there's the door.
Thumbs up for a size 6! (Seriously )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or