U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 08:41 AM

570 posts, read 1,366,181 times

Advertisements

If you are going to retire and not looking for work, Move out of California! There are so many nice places across the country to move, And your retirement money will go allot further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 10:39 AM

139 posts, read 327,322 times
I bought my first house in Palmdale (35th and Ave S area) back in 1990 only because, at that time, I like most people couldn't afford the high cost of housing in the Valley. Back then it was mostly young families, majority Caucasian, and 90% of us commuted to the Valley for work. When property values plummeted many people walked away from their Antelope Valley homes as the Valley became more affordable. Those same homes became bank owned or short sales with drastically reduced prices appealing to the lower class and investors who turned them into rentals and it was all down hill from there.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:49 AM

139 posts, read 327,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adysmom View Post
If you are going to retire and not looking for work, Move out of California! There are so many nice places across the country to move, And your retirement money will go allot further.
AMEN Brother! Check out Boise! Great weather, clean city with the Boise River running right down the center, surrounded by magnificent country, snow skiing, white water rafting, hunting, fishing, riding, BSU Bronco football, lower cost of living and we don't tolerate "the nonsense". It cost me $53 to register my vehicle this year and full insurance coverage is $360 a year.

Last edited by TeamGray; 02-04-2011 at 11:03 AM..

Old 02-04-2011, 07:22 PM

267 posts, read 767,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamGray View Post
I bought my first house in Palmdale (35th and Ave S area) back in 1990 only because, at that time, I like most people couldn't afford the high cost of housing in the Valley. Back then it was mostly young families, majority Caucasian, and 90% of us commuted to the Valley for work. When property values plummeted many people walked away from their Antelope Valley homes as the Valley became more affordable. Those same homes became bank owned or short sales with drastically reduced prices appealing to the lower class and investors who turned them into rentals and it was all down hill from there.
I bought a house right in that exact area in 2005. 27th and Ave S to be exact. I lived there for a year before getting married and selling the home, but I had NO problems there. I had no home security system, and never felt like I needed one. The area was very diverse. On my block there was white, black, hispanic and asian. I used to go jogging at night around my neighborhood. I was 22 at the time and I am a white female.

Maybe I was just very, very lucky. I grew up in L.A. and it really didn't feel much different than living IN L.A., other than the weather and lack of city. But as for the people? Not much difference to me. I saw some gang-member looking people around the AV when I lived there, but I also saw that in West L.A., which is where I went to high school.

The west side of the AV is, of course, nicer. But I never had any problems even living on the east side of Palmdale. I actually enjoyed my time there!

Old 02-16-2011, 11:25 AM

63 posts, read 172,922 times
I recommend Acton or Agua Dulce to anyone working in the Antelope Valley who wants better schools and a small-town atmosphere, while still being close-ish to L.A. I commute to Tarzana from Acton in traffic, but the 14 North is a better drive (Acton to Palmdale/Lancaster).

Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,148 times
I had an acquaintance with a son in public school in Lancaster. In 9th grade his math was 3rd grade level, and reading was 5th. The school kept moving him to the next grade. The area is known as a "meth capital". One can drive down major streets and count the addicts. Or look under freeway off ramps and see them. It did not start out this way when the Antelope valley was built up in the 1980's. Acton seems to be better, and there must be pockets that aren't so bad.
Call the local Sheriff's stations and ask about crime and such.
I would rather by homeless somewhere else than live in the AV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles