Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM

67 posts, read 302,158 times

Advertisements

Hi! We currently live in Atlanta (originally from Minneapolis area and Chicago). My husband loves the warmer weather here (I don't really care either way). We need to leave Atlanta because the South just isn't for us. So we are shopping around for new locations. LA has a strong job market for him, and he is actually coming out for an interview on Monday. So I have to know do you all have those big huge roaches that Atlanta has? They call them Palmettos here and they are horrible! I keep a clean home and Terminex comes monthly but I still encounter these evil bugs regularly. I just cannot move someplace where I will keep seeing these things! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
SoCal isn't very buggy. I get a lot of spiders but that's about it.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:45 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,521 times
I agree. There are surprisingly few roaches and other bugs (of course some buildings are much worse than others). Mostly spiders and silverfish. The latter is an ancient insect--a prehistoric holdover. I like to think of that when I squish one.

Why aren't there more bugs here, by the way? New York has a foul climate, which you might think would make life difficult for insects, yet it has zillions of roaches. Sydney, Australia, which has a very similar climate to LA, has tons of roaches, flies etc. etc.--just about everything, in fact.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:51 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,869,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
SoCal isn't very buggy. I get a lot of spiders but that's about it.
What about ants? There's a great majority of them in SoCal.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:02 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,955,777 times
I find lots of bugs out in the yard and garden, but only seem to find spiders and crickets in the house. Never seen any roaches or silverfish. This could be due to Mrs. DaBeez being a neat/clean freak.

I grew up in LA and never saw any "cool" or "unique" bugs until I moved into my place in Sherman Oaks. Found a Preying Mantis on my balcony. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world.

Old 01-04-2008, 03:06 PM

142 posts, read 754,756 times
I just hate bugs

Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFan View Post
What about ants? There's a great majority of them in SoCal.
Not too bad where I am. I see them outside but not inside very often.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM

392 posts, read 1,093,003 times
I understand for sure about the palmetto bugs and wanting to avoid them - we've lived in Florida and Hawaii (there they were known as B-52s and they did fly) - we are also almost freaky, super clean and still encountered them way too much. It was a bit more understandable in Hawaii because it was tropical - we saw way more of them when it rained.

Since we moved here (Agoura Hills, CA) in July 2006 we have not seen a single palmetto bug, not even a single one of the smaller types of roaches, in our apartment (or outside). We mainly see small spiders and the occasional cricket but neither of them very often. Southern California does have ants - we had some of the very tiny sugar-seeking (?) kind in our apartment but we gave them a couple of feedings of Terro and they disappeared almost overnight.

Seriously, it would be hard to move away from here (even to move out of this apartment) now that we've lived without these things for a year and a half. It's definitely amazing, almost too good to be true for us, after being around them so much where we lived before.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:58 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamato3BB's View Post
Hi! We currently live in Atlanta (originally from Minneapolis area and Chicago). My husband loves the warmer weather here (I don't really care either way). We need to leave Atlanta because the South just isn't for us. So we are shopping around for new locations. LA has a strong job market for him, and he is actually coming out for an interview on Monday. So I have to know do you all have those big huge roaches that Atlanta has? They call them Palmettos here and they are horrible! I keep a clean home and Terminex comes monthly but I still encounter these evil bugs regularly. I just cannot move someplace where I will keep seeing these things! Thanks!!!
I would be allot more worried about all the rattlesnakes than bugs.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:19 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,077,883 times
Default Don't let it bug ya', the birds are your friends in CA.

Ants and the occasional spider are my biggest problem on the coast, and those are quite rare. I thank the multitude of birds in the area for my relatively bug-free life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles