U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the Job Market in Los Angeles getting Better?
Yes, much better than last year 2 8.33%
Yes, but slowly 8 33.33%
Nope, It's the same as last year 14 58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:17 PM

317 posts, read 722,884 times

Advertisements

I asked the question is the Job Market in Los Angeles getting better? back in September of 09. I was there looking for jobs and to relocate with no luck. (It was a nice vacation though and I feel in love with the City especially Los Feliz, Silverlake, Hollywood vicinity). I have since then saved up and can now move anywhere comfortably, but definitely need a job first or I will not move. So how is the Job Market as we move into 2010?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 02:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 35,872,615 times
Where's the choice for "worse than last year"?

Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 PM

1,366 posts, read 2,921,707 times
Well people aren't getting laid off left and right like they were last year. Most people that had jobs in June 2009 still have jobs now; some who got laid off last year have returned to the work force, but often in positions that are lower than they were before.

My wife and I know several business owners, and one thing I've noticed is a lot of their core businesses have been break even for several years, but they made so much money on investments (primarily real estate) that their core businesses were more or less an afterthought. There are plenty of businesses out there who were essentially subsidized by a healthy investment market, which has deteriorated. A lot of these businesses will either fail, raise prices or cut costs. A lot of the cost cutting has already happened. There are TONS of people here hoping that real estate returns in favor and are essentially banking on it in order to subsidize either high costs, poorly performing businesses or low wage labor that doesn't match monthly costs.

That said, I know several people who changed jobs in the last half of 2009. But they HAD jobs before that point. It is probably slightly better than one year ago but more or less similar to 9 months ago; companies will, in general, not relocate people here though. Even in good economies they don't usually do that, but certainly not in poor ones. What field you are in is always very relevant to questions like this.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:42 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,360,473 times
My company and my husband's company (we don't live in LA anymore, but both still have connections with businesses with locations there) have stopped eliminating jobs, and in both cases have actually done some hiring. In some cases people who were previous employees but were still out of work got the "new" jobs. Some of these jobs have also been part-time, which is great news for those looking for PT work, but not ideal for many. I know fewer people who are entirely unemployed, although I still know a number of people who are underemployed. So yes, I'd say it is better than last year, but there's still a long way to go before it's anywhere near back to normal. Last year it was like every week I knew someone who had just lost their job or had their hours reduced; now all the easy cuts (and plenty of the difficult cuts) have been made.

Old 02-07-2010, 04:32 PM

317 posts, read 722,884 times
At least the poll looks a bit better than last year.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:38 AM

436 posts, read 770,561 times
Getting worse by the day, it is bad when police are losing their jobs, now if we could fire our state government starting with the mayor.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:53 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,794,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
now if we could fire our state government starting with the mayor.
I'll take it one step farther and fire our federal government starting with Schwarzenegger. We need some real leadership, maybe a retired Air Force Admiral should get in there.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:51 AM

436 posts, read 770,561 times
We need a government that works for the people, not the people working for it. I just hope the sheeple are waking up and realizing that hope and change just are not working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or