U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 04:29 PM

8 posts, read 8,097 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! Looks like I'm getting a job in Long Beach - starting this summer. My family (we're in our early 30s, my wife and I, with a two-year old and a baby on the way, due in April) are currently in Washington, DC. We're trying to figure out where we can live, really reasonably, as we'll be on one salary for awhile. DC has some terrible traffic but we hear L.A. may be even worse. Can anyone comment on a good area for schools, low crime and is still *very* affordable (as in 3 bdrms, renting for $1800/month and/or buying for under $250K). An hour(ish) commute isn't against my gameplan but even then, we're not sure where to go or look.

Any assistance is VERY appreciated!

Last edited by QuietGuy; 02-06-2010 at 04:31 PM.. Reason: added more info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 05:12 PM

7,113 posts, read 18,964,512 times
$1800 isn't much for a family to rent. however, that amount should get you a nice 2br apartment in a nice area of long beach. i'd say real estate is pretty similar in DC and LA. $250k will get you a nice house that is 30+ miles from your office, which will translante to an hour plus commute each direction. since you don't have school aged children yet, i would start close to your office and explore surrounding neighborhoods for the first year or so. if you really need a house, your options are going to be much more limited. why not start small for a temporary period and go from there?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:28 PM

4,114 posts, read 8,638,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietGuy View Post
Hi everyone! Looks like I'm getting a job in Long Beach - starting this summer. My family (we're in our early 30s, my wife and I, with a two-year old and a baby on the way, due in April) are currently in Washington, DC. We're trying to figure out where we can live, really reasonably, as we'll be on one salary for awhile. DC has some terrible traffic but we hear L.A. may be even worse. Can anyone comment on a good area for schools, low crime and is still *very* affordable (as in 3 bdrms, renting for $1800/month and/or buying for under $250K). An hour(ish) commute isn't against my gameplan but even then, we're not sure where to go or look.

$1800/mo will get a two bedroom in a lot of places that are nice, so long as you don't insist on brand new luxury place with a ocean view.

With a $250K budget for purchase, forget about buying a house right now. Good schools, low crime, and $250K budget is not happening, although condos are starting to get close to that. Rent for now, especially if you are not necessarily intending to live in the place for 10 years.

Anyway, on your rental budget there are parts of Long Beach that are nice. Belmont Shores, the area around CSULB, basically anything east/south of Lakewood Bl. Other places that are nice and have low crime and good schools within a 30 minute drive of Long Beach at rush hour(and be careful about my advice here as Long Beach is a very large city so driving to some areas may take more time) are Los Alamitos, Cerritos, parts of Lakewood, Cyprus, Seal Beach, Huntington Beach.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:39 PM

916 posts, read 3,258,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietGuy View Post

Long Beach has a little of everything from urban to suburban to beachy at just about every price range. If you want a nice suburb in that rental price range check out the Los Altos area. If you want more of the walkable town thing try belmont shore/belmont park/belmont heights. You're not going to be able to buy anything in Long Beach in a good area for that price range.

Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,399,553 times
You might be able to find a house in Lakewood for that amount(east of Lakewood Blvd and west of Studebaker Rd/605 fwy is a very large area and pretty much all acceptable). Either a 2bd with a den or a basic 3bd home(50s era levittown type). Won't find anything upgraded, but it beats an apt.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:01 AM

4,114 posts, read 8,638,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
You might be able to find a house in Lakewood for that amount(east of Lakewood Blvd and west of Studebaker Rd/605 fwy is a very large area and pretty much all acceptable). Either a 2bd with a den or a basic 3bd home(50s era levittown type). Won't find anything upgraded, but it beats an apt.
If you find anything in that area in that price range, please let me know. Even if it will require $25-30K worth of work.

Thats my estimate of bottom of the market prices, but I'm not anticipating that price point for a few more years. The only things close to $250K I've seen are in the crummy area near Artesia and west of Lakewood.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:28 PM

5,113 posts, read 17,399,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
If you find anything in that area in that price range, please let me know. Even if it will require $25-30K worth of work.

Thats my estimate of bottom of the market prices, but I'm not anticipating that price point for a few more years. The only things close to $250K I've seen are in the crummy area near Artesia and west of Lakewood.
I was more talking about the rent. As far as the purchase price, there are SFR's available in 90715/east Lakewood that are around 250k from time to time, but none in the better parts of 90715 which are still in the 350-400k range for a standard 3bd ranch starter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or