U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:50 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,235,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
I was thinking this today too. It is rare that when I put my turn signal on that someone actually lets me switch lanes. I have to plan way ahead of time to expect this and that most drivers here do not let you switch lanes without speeding up fast and pretending they don't see you.
That happens everywhere. I though that was actually a rust belt tactic because that happens to me everyday it seems. I am one of the nice guys who let others in etc, but sometimes with these idiots you have to be on the offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:51 AM

2,497 posts, read 6,235,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I'll be happy when people going on the 405 from Sunset over into the SFV and vice versa learn that if you step down harder on the gas pedal, your car will go faster, even uphill.
LOL! Or that high tech invention called Cruise Control.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 AM

26,346 posts, read 80,765,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
I'll be happy when people going on the 405 from Sunset over into the SFV and vice versa learn that if you step down harder on the gas pedal, your car will go faster, even uphill.
Most of the time that means accelerating from 10MPH to 15MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
LOL! Or that high tech invention called Cruise Control.

The last place in the world that a person would be able to use cruise control, is the northbound 405 through the Sepulveda Pass.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:04 AM

725 posts, read 2,459,217 times
A friend of mine who had moved from NJ said that he was surprised that L.A. drivers weren't as bad as he had presumed them to be.

Also, after living in Chicago for a couple of years now, L.A. drivers don't seem so bad. First, based on my own experiences, people here in Chicago hardly ever signal (including switching lanes), they often times double park or block one way streets, still turn on red (left turn) lights, and they always honk their horns... also they don't care about dinging your car when parking (it is considered "acceptable" to bumper kiss to get in or out of a spot, I've learned)... also I don't think I've ever received a "thank you" hand gesture whenever I "give way" to another driver.

I was back home a few weeks ago and I must admit I was driving ridiculously slow on the freeway. A majority of it is because 1) I've become accustomed to driving and dealing with snow/ice/sleet and I guess it was hard to get out of that winter mindset... and 2) the speed limits here are lower at 55 mph on the highways. A friend of mine drove us to downtown L.A. at 80mph and I was seriously nervous LOL.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:34 AM

16,584 posts, read 32,648,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRickShawMan View Post

My mom, brother and I were driving and filming the beaches near Redondo Beach, and a car pulls up alongside us and starts to flick their middle fingers at the camera.

I don't know. People are just shady and unprofessional here.
Waaaa! Somebody flipped us the bird while we were filming the beach, and now I'm going to lump 10 million people in the same category because of it. Waaaa!

Get over it.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:02 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,772,872 times
Having lived for a significant amount of time in Florida (Orlando) and Los Angeles, the drivers here seem friendly and considerate to those in Florida.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 AM

32,538 posts, read 29,333,321 times
You want to see lousy drivers? Point your car east and come to Arizona.

One word:

Snowbirds.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:41 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,493,639 times
I just hate it when other drivers tailgate me when I'm going the speed limit in the far right lane.

Also not a fan of how few people use their blinkers, including the majority of cops that I've seen on the roads.

And is it me, or are BMW drivers the biggest d-bags out there? It's like they think they'll earn a prize for being first to a red light.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:46 AM

59 posts, read 168,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Springs Gator View Post
Add Atlanta and Houston.
Houston +1, worse drivers than CA.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 PM

1,362 posts, read 2,846,253 times
I will come out and say it this way: LA drivers are some of the friendliest of any major city in the USA. I was absolutely shocked how polite the drivers are here when I moved here. Considering how bad the traffic is, people are really courteous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles