U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 10:42 PM

68 posts, read 165,802 times

Advertisements

Personally, I don't see anything wrong with someone wanting to embrace their heritage a little more actively. The OP would certainly have more unique opportunities to do that in SoCal.

Obviously, feeling stuck in dog town spokompton is getting to you, but as mentioned by another poster, there are some proactive things you can do in the PNW to experience more of your culture. I'd affirm your speculation though, it's no comparison to what you can find in the southwest US.

That said, it's tough times all over the country and especially in CA. I honestly think the only way to to figure out if you can make it is to do diligent research, crunch the numbers, be realistic, then go for it.

Living in SF can be just as or more expensive than living in LA, a whole 'nother topic really, but as food for thought, check out San Francisco's Mission District.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 01:04 AM

12,845 posts, read 23,249,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunky View Post
there are some proactive things you can do in the PNW to experience more of your culture. I'd affirm your speculation though, it's no comparison to what you can find in the southwest US.
If he wants loads of Mexican culture, it can be found in any of the cities I mentioned. He doesn't need to go to the SW for his fill, Central and SE Washington will give him plenty.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:04 AM

To be clear, I didn't ever say he "needed" to go the SW to get his fill. But, I DID say, "but as mentioned by another poster, there are some proactive things you can do in the PNW to experience more of your culture."

That "another poster" was you.

Nonetheless, I'll stand by my opinion that what you'll find in the Southwestern US is not really comparable to what you will find in the PNW. Maybe you'll appreciate what I'm saying more if I change it around and say, what you'll find in the PNW is not really comparable to what you'll find in the Southwestern US.

The OP is looking at a place like LA for culture and you're pointing them to Omak?

Old 02-26-2010, 02:21 AM

12,845 posts, read 23,249,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trunky View Post
To be clear, I didn't ever say he "needed" to go the SW to get his fill. But, I DID say, "but as mentioned by another poster, there are some proactive things you can do in the PNW to experience more of your culture."

That "another poster" was you.

Nonetheless, I'll stand by my opinion that what you'll find in the Southwestern US is not really comparable to what you will find in the PNW. Maybe you'll appreciate what I'm saying more if I change it around and say, what you'll find in the PNW is not really comparable to what you'll find in the Southwestern US.

The OP is looking at a place like LA for culture and you're pointing them to Omak?
LOL. I guess you have a point there.

The OP is looking specifically for Hispanic culture (as opposed to culture in general), and if you've spent any time in places like Quincy, Othello, Moses Lake, Wenatchee, and the Tri-Cities (especially the first two), then you know what I'm talking about. IMO the Hispanic culture there isn't the least bit watered down or more sanitized than Hispanic culture that you can find in Southern CA, for example. I'm trying to keep in mind a limited income. LA is not where I'd move on one of those.

I wasn't calling you out or saying that you were wrong, but there are tons of places the OP could look, including parts of CA, AZ, NM, TX, NV, CO, OR, WA, ID, or anywhere else if he'd open his mind up to it.

I hope we can reach some common ground here, so give me examples as to what you can find more of in the SW that you can't find in Central WA. I'm from CA and have lived in WA, and IMO I didn't see a whole world of difference between Central WA and the San Joaquin Valley, for example.

Old 02-26-2010, 02:35 AM

It's all good. I definitely agree with you, that there is a lot of Hispanic culture in the WA. And no, I wouldn't say it's watered down either. And on the income thing, again, agreed. The less money you have/make, the more it can suck for you in CA, especially compared to WA.

I honestly can't give a ton of specifics on cities in the SW vs. PNW because I just don't have enough experience. The difference in cultural diversity though, here in SF, is just right in my face, all the time. There's nothing like The Mission in Spokane, Eastern WA, or anywhere else in WA.

Here's something, admittedly a little superficial, but fairly relevant all the same.

Here's a group of cities: Omak, Wenatchee, Coeur d'Alene, Yakima, Walla Walla, Seattle, Chewelah, Tacoma, Cheney, Kennewick. (you know what all these are...

Here's another group: Los Angeles, San Diego, Santa Ana, San Fernando, San Bernadino, Yuma, Temecula, Ventura, Santa Clarita, etc.

You don't have to dig deep to see a distinct historical/cultural difference.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:58 AM

69,400 posts, read 79,618,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
I hope you read this.

I grew up in Southern CA, as a white person, and as a Hispanic person (one parent of each). I've experienced discrimination there, by Hispanics (because I wasn't "Mexican enough", because my Spanish was imperfect, because I was white) and by whites (because I was Mexican). Racism is very rare in Southern CA, but it's not non-existent, and it still hurts when it does happen.

I live in Denver now (which also has a large Hispanic population), I've been discriminated at here, mostly by whites (but it's fairly rare).

When I lived in Spokane (which as you know, has a very small Hispanic population), I never once was discriminated against. I don't know what to chalk that up to.

Everybody's experience will be different, what's good for one, won't be for another. Attitude is 90% of the battle.

Have you looked at other places in WA? If you think you're more apt to "fitting in" around other Hispanics (this goes completely against my moral code, however), you should look into:

Moses Lake
Connell
Tri-Cities (Richland, Pasco, Kennewick)
Yakima
Walla Walla
Othello
Quincy
Wenatchee/East Wenatchee
Omak

All seem to have what you are looking for, and are affordable.

I wish you luck down this dubious path.
You hit the nail on the head: attitude,,Some people have chips on their shoulders that keep them from being the person they really want to be and yet, they don't see the chip..

Nita

Old 02-26-2010, 10:47 AM

305 posts, read 798,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erebos View Post
[SIZE=3]Hello, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] I and my family want to move to L.A. however we are concerned about a few things. First of all my family consist of all me and my mother and my sister and my 2 year old son as well as our 2 guard dogs. We are NOT willing to give are guard dogs up due to the fact that other than my son there are no men that live with us. I am a college student as well as my sister and my mother is on a fixed income. We want to move to a part that has strong Hispanic and catholic community. When my son is able to start school I want him to go to a catholic school and a good one at that. We would prefer a house but an apartment would be fine. We want a community that is safe eon for me and my family (being all females) to walk outside safely without being afraid or anything. Our price range isnít that high t o be honest the highest we could go is 1110 including utilities. Are goals realist and or possible?[/SIZE]
------------------
Welcome to LA!
We have a strong, vibrant latino community county wide.

If you are a college student, I would check with the college you will be attending here. They always have a housing bulletin board. It might be online also so you can scout from afar. So, I would shop and get your housing lined up before you get here. Rental housing is a great big deal here ie. we have a shortage.

Also, you may wish to check out the Catholic schools online first to see which ones are affordable. Once you find a couple school options for your kids. I often search schools by www.greatschools.net

One last thing. Try the LA Housing authority. http://hacla.org/ They are in charge of all Section 8 housing (low income housing). I think you have to register with them and then they help you find a place. The city splits the rent with you based on some formula.

I have been looking around. That is a hard price point in LA. But if you use the community resources available to you, you might just find a great place. Buena suerte!

Old 02-26-2010, 02:31 PM

11 posts, read 13,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fontucky View Post
how about mexico?
yes!!!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 AM

130 posts, read 316,806 times
I would comment on the "how about Mexico" and the other comment where someone automatically assumed that everyone in the OP's family was not working, but those are too easy and very sad, (yet typical), to still hear in 2010. I will say that I do not believe LA is a good idea, considering the budget you gave. Personally, I would check into Texas (like San Antonio,Corpus Christi or Houston), New Mexico or south Florida.

I dont know how the quality of life is where you are living now, but I am willing to bet money that it is culture-less there and I understand wanting to have more culture. But, I believe LA would not enhance your quality of life - if anything, it would go down because everything there is so expensive and a lot of apartments out there do not accept dogs (especially "guard" dogs). Personally, I like LA to visit, but my thoughts of living there were brief after I did some research and realized that my quality of life would not be as fluid there. Also, I find Californians to be judgmental people with a fake mask of liberalness - I know because I lived in San Diego for way too many years. Good Luck!!

Last edited by queenvic; 03-08-2010 at 09:42 AM..

Old 03-08-2010, 10:40 AM

25,425 posts, read 24,209,514 times
I hope this doesn't sound weak or ridiculous...Though we don't have an all-out Mexican "culture" here out in the boonies (Glendora), even waaaaaaaaaaaay out here from the city I find there are many Mexican people (as in from-Mexico Mexican... And yes, second and third generation and onward, etc.) and that Mexican holidays are ALWAYS stressed.

Again, this may sound weak because perhaps what the OP is looking for are parades and festivals and all that (and I can understand that--festivals are great) but...in every school my kids have been in, including preschool, they have ABSOLUTELY learned about Mexican holidays and there typically is a day set aside for a party for each, no more but no less than is celebrated for, say, Christmas.

So for example, we had a Cinco de Mayo party each year in my kids' preschool (the one they both went to)...learning about what the day means, decorating, drawing and coloring Mexican imagery and images of celebration, etc. (I haven't seen Dia de los Muertos which is ironic since I--a non-Mexican--am fascinated with and LOVE the idea of that holiday!) When we sang the Days of the Week and These are the Months of the Year songs, we always sang them in English first, then in Spanish. And our classes always had a mix of non-Mexican; Mexican-born; and U.S.-born Mexican heritage people.

But anyway...you'll find Spanish music stations, Spanish-speaking individuals, Mexican food, Spanish-REQUIRED employment (I wanted to temp and was told at that particular agency, six out of ten employers requested fluent Spanish, and three out of ten require it!)...Yes, this is "Americanized" culture. But so was my grandmother's Polish culture, and my grandfather's Ukrainian culture, but damn I can't eat a "fake" (frozen aisle section) pierogie without gagging...GOTTA be the real thing. And my grandfather, from Madrid, sparked my fascination with various Spanish things...and this included language (though I've NEVER been fluent...) One person, just one family member can make a culture of origin (or of family history) come alive, get into the child's blood and never, ever leave, I promise you.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, outside of the actual country of origin, you probably won't find an area "infused" entirely with one particular nation's culture...because this is not that particular nation. But you *will* find tons and tons and tons of references to Mexico, the Spanish language (Mexican-style...I'm sure they're different dialects, LOL), Spanish-speaking people, Spanish architecture, and you won't have to go to one "neighborhood" to find it...In my neighborhood, which is the coddled little burbs, I feel Mexico all around me (and I love it...perhaps I'm the exception) at the same time that I feel other cultures all around me. Because we're none of us actually Mexican or Polish or Spanish or Italian or what-have-you...we're American. And those of us who came from another country generally either are blending into (that country)-American, as people do; or they're retaining their culture but either hoping to go back to that country...or are hopelessly insulated.

In SoCal you will find Mexican culture. Trust me on that one. I haven't been to Washington so I can't compare. But your son will have plenty and to spare of Mexican culture and of learning Mexico's history, etc. and of joining in celebrations.

Put this area on your list for when you are out of college and looking for a bigger income. Yes, it's expensive as hell here. That's true. But if you're thinking SoCal, don't cross it off your list forever, unless you go for another area of the nation as described by several posters here.

Good luck. Hugs to you.

Last edited by JerZ; 03-08-2010 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles