Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:25 AM

11 posts, read 31,273 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=3]Hello, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] I and my family want to move to L.A. however we are concerned about a few things. First of all my family consist of all me and my mother and my sister and my 2 year old son as well as our 2 guard dogs. We are NOT willing to give are guard dogs up due to the fact that other than my son there are no men that live with us. I am a college student as well as my sister and my mother is on a fixed income. We want to move to a part that has strong Hispanic and catholic community. When my son is able to start school I want him to go to a catholic school and a good one at that. We would prefer a house but an apartment would be fine. We want a community that is safe eon for me and my family (being all females) to walk outside safely without being afraid or anything. Our price range isn’t that high t o be honest the highest we could go is 1110 including utilities. Are goals realist and or possible?[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 01:42 AM

2,179 posts, read 4,986,719 times
East LA

Old 02-08-2010, 02:53 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Goals arent realistic for a safe community in the LA area. Maybe out in the High Desert or Inland Empire, but then you're far from the jobs as well. You'll need to have a budget of around 1700 at least to afford a 3bd apt in a decent area more than likely. If you're willing to drop the private school option, you'll be able to up your budget, and the public schools in better areas are good enough(having went to a religious school and a public school in the 90s as part of my primary education I can attest that there was no major drop off in quality in public school, and of course, private schools are more difficult to measure since there are few regulations regarding teaching credentials/experience or the curriculum past the basics)

Old 02-08-2010, 08:07 AM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
You also need to ask yourself what type of Hispanic community you want to live in. We have three types, as far as I can tell as a guero. We have recent immigrant Mexican, recent immigrant Central-American, and 2nd and 3rd generation Chicano neighborhoods.

The more crime free Latino neighborhoods are your old eastern suburbs like Montebello and Pico Rivera. They also tend to be 2nd and 3rd gen with more English spoken and perhaps a little less Catholic.

Also Huntington Park and South Gate are not too super bad, safety-wise, are reasonably cheap, and they are largely Latino.

But I don't think your going to find exactly what you're looking for at the price you want to pay.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:28 AM

11 posts, read 31,273 times
Ok thank you. Maybe i should have been more
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Specific [/SIZE][SIZE=3]as to what kind of Hispanic community we want. A place that speaks Spanish and celebrates the Mexican holidays such as, Dia de los Muertos….ect somewhere that shows the Mexican culture would be ideal. Someone on here said that the budget would have to be 1700 would that be in a cultural part or no? And what did you mean about the pritivit schools i didnt undersatind that.[/SIZE]

Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erebos View Post
[font=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Specific [/SIZE][SIZE=3]as to what kind of Hispanic community we want. A place that speaks Spanish and celebrates the Mexican holidays such as, Dia de los Muertos….ect somewhere that shows the Mexican culture would be ideal.
How about Mexico?

Old 02-08-2010, 12:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
[SIZE=3]Hello, [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] I and my family want to move to L.A. however we are concerned about a few things. First of all my family consist of all me and my mother and my sister and my 2 year old son as well as our 2 guard dogs. We are NOT willing to give are guard dogs up due to the fact that other than my son there are no men that live with us. I am a college student as well as my sister and my mother is on a fixed income. We want to move to a part that has strong Hispanic and catholic community. When my son is able to start school I want him to go to a catholic school and a good one at that. We would prefer a house but an apartment would be fine. We want a community that is safe eon for me and my family (being all females) to walk outside safely without being afraid or anything. Our price range isn’t that high t o be honest the highest we could go is 1110 including utilities. Are goals realist and or possible?[/SIZE]
So let me understand? you are on a fixed income, I assume none of you are working, you want a safe neighborhood and want to keep your 2 guard dogs. You are a college student so you will have to pay out of state tuition and you want your child to be in a good Catholic school. all this for $1100 a month including utilities??? No, there is no way you can find what you want, anywhere in the Los Angeles area. You can find the catholic, hispanic neighborhoods though.

Nita

Old 02-08-2010, 12:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
How about Mexico?
you said it, I didn't but my husband just said exactly the same thing.

Nita

Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
I say what others are thinking. That's why I was always in trouble back in school daze.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Quote:
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3]Specific [/SIZE][SIZE=3]as to what kind of Hispanic community we want. A place that speaks Spanish and celebrates the Mexican holidays such as, Dia de los Muertos….ect somewhere that shows the Mexican culture would be ideal. Someone on here said that the budget would have to be 1700 would that be in a cultural part or no? And what did you mean about the pritivit schools i didnt undersatind that.[/SIZE]
You said want a Catholic school for your child, which would mean private school. Public schools do not teach/have religion.

As far as celebrating Mexican holidays, I'm sure there are some serious ethnic neighborhood that do that, but I know of none. You should check with some of the spanish language newspapers in the area, like La Opinion, for info on local events like that. I have never seen anything other than the typical parties for the typical holidays, with Cinco De Mayo being the most prominent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles