U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,130 times
Default Moving-Koreatown or Cypress Park/Mt. Washington

OK neighbors, I have a bit of a conundrum on my hands:

I am looking at two apartments to move to from Los Feliz. One is located in the 4th and New Hampshire (K-town) area of LA and the other is in Cypress Park/Mt. Washington (Isabel St). I know these hoods are wildly different, but I'd love some perspective from people who live there. I've looked at the Crime Maps and the Walkscore ratings, so I have a general idea of what I'm getting into, but any kind of first-hand accounts of these neighborhoods would be great. I'm really into walking, so I'm a bit nervous that there's not much to walk to in Cypress Park. But I also value safety, so I'm not so sure about K-town. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 04:01 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,917,445 times
I'd pick the Koreatown location. Cypress Park isn't significantly safer than K-town, and as you point out, has less walkability.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,426,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libremily View Post

I am looking at two apartments to move to from Los Feliz. One is located in the 4th and New Hampshire (K-town) area of LA and the other is in Cypress Park/Mt. Washington (Isabel St). I know these hoods are wildly different, but I'd love some perspective from people who live there. I've looked at the Crime Maps and the Walkscore ratings, so I have a general idea of what I'm getting into, but any kind of first-hand accounts of these neighborhoods would be great. I'm really into walking, so I'm a bit nervous that there's not much to walk to in Cypress Park. But I also value safety, so I'm not so sure about K-town. Thoughts?
DEFINITELY K-TOWN.

The Cypress Park/Mt. Washington area is only good on Mt. Washington itself. Cypress Park itself (and Glassell Park, near it at the bottom of the hill) is somewhat creepy, and it has gang problems. Isabel Drive, in fact, was the scene of a "wrong-way" murder a number of years ago....a family got lost in the area, made a turn-around only to find themselves face-to-face with a bunch of gang members, who shot them.

While that is not a daily occurrence there, it is not a very safe area.

The creepiness comes more from the fact that even in the daytime there are not too many people up and about, from my recollections, simply because there are few places to go around there. Shopping is either on Figueroa or on Eagle Rock Blvd/San Fernando Rd, both of which are on the edge of the neighborhood. The one thing the area has going for it is that it is not as densely populated as K-town, but......

I know a little about this area because my dad grew up in it and until recently I had relatives living there. (Dad still lives not too far away.)

But check it out for yourself.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,985,337 times
I'm in Mt Washington. I think Mrsltd's comments are pretty accurate. The other side of the hill (off El Paso) is nice, by and large. This is right on the Mt Wash/GLassell Park border. The flats, especially down into Frogtown, and up against the hills facing the LA River are pretty spotty. Best advice is to explore on your own. My wife and I looked at a great place on Vista Gloriosa (up the hill, overlooking Elysian Park) which was great, but the 'hood you have to get through is something you seriously have to consider.

And yes, Cypress Park has a bad rep, not all of it undeserved. That said, there are (like everywhere in this City), pockets that are OK.

K-Town is great if you are north of Wilshire. There are great old apartment buildings within walking distance of restaurants, stores, etc. Personally, I like St Andrews Place. I think 4th and New Hampshire is the far, far eastern part of K-Town. That said, I've been to lunch and shopped on Vermont, from 2nd down to Wilshire and never had a problem at night. As I recall, the VONS at 3rd is pretty nice. Also gotten off at the subway stop (6th and Vermont, and Beverly/Vermont) without incident late at night, for what its worth.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:37 PM

10,040 posts, read 14,356,895 times
I would definitely go with Koreatown. I haven't lived in Cypress Park and haven't spent much time there, but my impression is that it's quiet (not much to walk to) and has some big crime issues. I don't drive myself, and fair or not (haven't lived in either neighborhoods, although have been to both) I'd feel much safer walking around in Koreatown. At least there's a lot of other people out on the street and a lot of shops and restaurants within walking distance (plus great public transportation options).

Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,426,530 times
Quote:
The flats, especially down into Frogtown,
Hey Nick:

A little aside here, but what area there is considered "Frogtown"?

I remember my grandfather calling where his dad's house was (off San Fernando Road) a place for "changos" (monkeys) but didn't know about Frogtown.

Is that the strip on the OTHER side of the river from San Fernando Road/Cypress Ave?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:46 PM

550 posts, read 1,138,781 times
Hmm I used to live by San Fernando / Los Feliz and haven't heard of this "frogtown" either..

Old 02-10-2010, 10:28 PM

1,446 posts, read 3,418,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
A little aside here, but what area there is considered "Frogtown"?

I remember my grandfather calling where his dad's house was (off San Fernando Road) a place for "changos" (monkeys) but didn't know about Frogtown.

Is that the strip on the OTHER side of the river from San Fernando Road/Cypress Ave?
looks like you're right - "frogtown" appears to be a nickname for the elysian valley neighborhood, which is that narrow strip of land directly across the los angeles river from san fernando road/cypress avenue. it's an isolated community that's wedged in between the 5 freeway and the western side of the river.

Elysian Valley, Los Angeles, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"In the 1950s, Elysian Valley was severely impacted by the construction of U.S. Interstate 5 (known as the "Golden State Freeway"). The freeway was constructed through Elysian Valley, displacing both residents and businesses. The commercial corridor along Riverside Drive ceased to exist, and the freeway served to effectively isolate Elysian Valley from other local communities, such as Echo Park and Silver Lake. The public library was razed, never to be replaced. In the 1960s, additional residents were displaced by the construction of State Route 2 (known locally as the "Glendale Freeway").

Originally called Gopher Flats at the turn of the century, with housing for railroad workers, Elysian Valley today is sometimes referred to as "Frogtown" based on events related to the area's proximity to the Los Angeles River. Accounts from longtime local residents ascribe the name to a connection between the annual exodus of frogs from the Los Angeles River into Elysian Valley. The most recent peak in this phenomenon was in the 1960s and 1970s when the frog population increased, literally covering the streets and lawns of the neighborhood. This occurred after several major floods in the 1930s when the river basin remained wild, prior to flood control channeling constructed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Many residents are eager to reclaim the name "Frogtown" from its gang association because its generational use predates the gang and is based on this historical and naturally occurring event."

Old 02-11-2010, 10:35 AM

305 posts, read 529,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libremily View Post

--------------------
Safety is very subjective. So where you live now (nearest crsss streets) would give us a look into how comfy you are in that location. Some of what they now call los Feliz is across the river and really Atwater. Los Feliz per se is a stupendous place to live with good shopping and restaurants and lots of celbs (they do not live where it is unsafe).

Not knowing your cross streets: I would live in KoresTown before I would live in Cypress Park, no question.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:49 PM

938 posts, read 2,509,103 times
Yep. I'd pass on Cypress Park; it's out of the way, has a weird desolate feeling, a limited amount of amenities, and a pretty bad gang problem.

The area of Ktown you're talking about is one of my favorites. Close to everything, good architecture, diverse, blah, blah. I know which one I'd be going with.

Some photos and commentary of that particular area: prettyugly.: Ktown, we meet again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles