U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:05 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,757,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
There are no jobs in LA. I highly doubt a large Metropolis of 9 MILLION people have NO jobs. The problem with LA is the high living expenses, not acquiring a job.
Have YOU tried getting a job in LA recently? Of course there are jobs; there are also many, many other people also trying to get those same jobs. So yes, the act of getting a job is a real and significant issue. The problem is simple: there are not enough jobs to go around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 11:16 AM

436 posts, read 751,516 times
LA is basically closer to a depression than anywhere else compounded by the budget mess state government has gotten us into. LA is not the place to look for a job, oh and lets not forget it is expensive to live here as well.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 AM

10,485 posts, read 22,558,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The problem is simple: there are not enough jobs to go around.
Yes, but that is going on everywhere, not just LA. In Vegas the unemployment rate is 13.1%. I bet LA is lower than that at least. I know Phoenix is also suffering really bad too. I still would think most people would have a better chance of getting a job in a larger city such as LA compared to other places.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:23 AM

10,485 posts, read 22,558,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTSIMMER View Post
LA is basically closer to a depression than anywhere else compounded by the budget mess state government has gotten us into. LA is not the place to look for a job, oh and lets not forget it is expensive to live here as well.
This is clearly untrue. LA is is no where near as bad as Detroit. Not even close.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:47 AM

136 posts, read 489,551 times
Recently a company held a hiring fair. They had several minimum wage job positions available...thousands of people showed up to try for the few openings.
This isn't the time to move to a new state, not unless you already have a job secured. It's foolish to try.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:17 PM

890 posts, read 2,415,224 times
My wife recently started looking for a job, applied for one, took the test with 100+ other people.
She passed the test, and had a job interview 2 days later.

Wife has a BS in Comp Sci, has 8 years experience as Business Administrator, and 6 years of Office Management. The job she applied for is a Office Payroll Accountant.

Haven't heard a reply since last Thursday. Was told the top 3 will get a 2nd interview.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:21 PM

69,305 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
There are no jobs in LA. I highly doubt a large Metropolis of 9 MILLION people have NO jobs. The problem with LA is the high living expenses, not acquiring a job.
I don't think anyone meant for you to take that statement literally, of course there are jobs, but there are also 100s of applicants for every job that opens up. People are being laid off daily, companies are closing, retaurants and retail stores are hurting, plus the high cost of living to consider...The problem is acquiring a job, period...You really don't know what you are talking about. And yes, Los Angeles is near a depression. Of course this doesn't mean there are absolutely no jobs. Hey, my dad graduated from college in 1932 with a degree in engineering. He got a job in Los Angeles as a matter of fact, but he certainly didn't get a job in his field. He was a meter reader to start. This was in the days when Los Angeles was not suffering like the rest of the country..Today, Los Angeles is in awful shape, heck the city is about to go bankrupt...I don't know why you think there are jobs?

Nita

Old 02-10-2010, 04:36 PM

73 posts, read 175,875 times
Quote:
This is clearly untrue. LA is is no where near as bad as Detroit. Not even close.
HAHAHA, that's where I'm coming from.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:39 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,187,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I don't drive or have a car, but neither does the OP. She doesn't have to factor in the cost of a car, either, just transportation to/from work.

I certainly wasn't trying to suggest that $3,000 will last a long time (and I noted, too, that if paying a deposit it will be gone quickly), but of course many people live in LA on less than $3,000/month. The problem will not not be the living cheaply for a few months while the savings last, but rather finding a job to replenish that money.
yea,but start-up costs are always higher than expected=-getting oriented,until you find yoru niche and know where to shop/eat out,get the cheapest whatever,etc.
At least the first two weeks will be more expensive in that regard.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 PM

2,147 posts, read 4,187,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennea4 View Post
It's in creative writing and journalism. But I don't want to get a writing job initially because all jobs that involve writing are extremely time consuming (trust me)...they're 24/7 type jobs.
And, of course, I don't want to do anything like be a hooker (as one of you implied, I believe) or sell drugs either. I want a respectable job that allows me to have freetime / a life elsewhere.
Well,someone mentioned getting an online writing job and you can then work from wherever you want. Including LA.

In my opinion,CA's saving grace will be if it goes back to it's roots of can-do spirit and people wanting to create their own dream-entrepreneurs,innovations and creativity,along with a sprinkling of laid back folks who want to surf.

CA has always brought the ideas to the table-it's an innovators market more than a 'be a good employee' market.
Of course certain industries like education and healthcare will have industry jobs (you could look for technical writing jobs,speaking of this,and take an online class or two in this-and positions are not easy to come by,but you could work from home,perhaps in the future?].
And even in education and healthcare,CA ends up splintering and creating branches-ie,charter schools,tons of homeschoolers and the district creates program for them in most cases,alternative healthcare,etc.

So,why do you want to move to LA? The experience?
If it's not to write,then I would think about what you do want to do-
if it's just for post-college for a year or so,then you should come first and interview,and maybe plan on doing a restaurant job and or whole foods market and having a roomate.

Otherwise,with yoru skills,try to position yourself to work from home online.
Then you can move to LA w/no strings attached.

Not to be a downer,but more clarity in your plan would be better,just b/c of that whole job/economy/cost of living thing.

People are going to south korean and china to teach english now adays...
you could save money doing that for a year,and then come to LA with even more of a cushion.

Sorry to be negative,but based on everyone's opinon,well,9/10 people can't be entirely wrong,right?
ps-you asked about roomates. Craig's List is a good site to start with. Be careful of scams,but alot of ads for roomates....good luck!

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-10-2010 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or