Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:21 AM

353 posts, read 809,859 times

Advertisements

God im so sick of the snow,its so pointless.I wan to move to california,its always been a dream of mine,perferable San diego,I was living in miami for a while,but I feel the humidty is unbearable so I could nto deal with it,but i hear that california weather is pretty much dry heat and more bearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 11:51 AM

736 posts, read 2,286,189 times
Outofthematrix: I am a SoCalif. native BUT I did live for 5 years on the east coast (NYC & Wash, DC). I've got a good friend from grad. school who is from Philadelphia and I used to visit her when she lived in Center City.

I will tell you this...I recall when I lived back east people would say to me, "Man, you are from California you must hate our winters back here." To which I would reply, "Actually, I can take the winters, it's your SUMMERS that I really can't stand!"

No question that the So.Calif. summers are as close to perfect as you can find (in my opinion). This is esp. true in the coastal areas. Very comfortable. Even in the so called "hot" inland areas it's FAR better than either FLA or the Northeast. And the evenings always cool off....the low humidity makes a HUGE difference.

I met a guy from Fla. who once told me he LOVED the So.Calif. climate and that he'd never worn his clothes so well as he did in So.Calif. That is, the low humidty just made it so comfortable, as he was used to sweating his you know whats off in Fla.

That said, let me avdise you that So.Calif. has a MEDITERRANEAN climate here...which means we have MILD, wet winters and WARM (but comfortable), DRY summers. So the winter here is QUITE cooler than Miami. In my book, Miami has near perfect winters. I agree, the summers in Miami are TERRIBLE.

The So.Calif. winter is typically approx. 65 to 70 during the day and mid-40's at night. We do get some warm winter days in the high 70's but on balance you will NOT be sunbathing at the BEACH in January (as you would in Miami).

Of course, So.Calif. also has TALL mountains (up to 10,000 feet high) which get covered in snow in the winter. So a mere hour away from downtown LA you can drive to the slopes and go snow boarding or skiing. And on clear winter days (like today), the backdrop of snow covered mountains is quite beautiful. You can NOT see that in Florida.

Also, you might want to know our OCEAN TEMPS are quite cold here, esp. compared to Fla. Cold waters from Alaska push down the west coast and in winter the OCEAN temps are around 60 degrees and in the peak of summer around 68 to 72 degrees. Yes, we have GOOD surf but you'll want to wear a wetsuit most of the year.

The other BIG plus to the SoCalif. climate as compared to Miami or even the Northeast is we typically do NOT get rain from May to October. Yes, like I mean you will NOT need an umbrella for 6 months out of the year. Our coastal areas do get "Fogged in" during June (which locals call "June Gloom"). But the fog often "burns" off by noon and it simply DOES NOT rain in the summer.

So on balance I'd say the So.Calif. climate is FANTASTIC. I do wish our Ocean temps were warmer and that our winters were a tad bit warmer but no place is perfect.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Ive heard of Cali having very versatile weather,this why i would love to move,Miami heats is just not for me,and i lived in Miami for a couple of years,Cali according to what some tell me that relocated from the east coast,has weather that reminds them of the east,and personally,everyday hot,or sunny makes me feel like I' am trapped in a loop hole,this is why i left Miami,don't get me wrong Miami is beautiful,but i felt theirs no real comfort zone,plus i didn't feel like i was part of the food chain. Are there people that still go to the beach and go in the water dead in the middle of winter in California?

Old 02-10-2010, 12:55 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,101,947 times
people surf here year round, but wear full weat suits, often with gloves, booties and head warmers. the water now is probably in the low to mid 50s, which is cold. you wouldn't last long before you started to turn blue without a wetsuit. you don't see kids playing in the water until june at the earliest. the water is most comfortable from july into early october. however, i swim in the ocean often during the summer and i still usually wear my wetsuit. there aren't many days in the year where the ocean temp is too warm for a wetsuit.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
Are there people that still go to the beach and go in the water dead in the middle of winter in California?
Yes, we do get warm beach days in the middle of winter. You'll see surfers out there every single day. And scuba divers diving off Catalina Island all year long.

However, in the MIDDLE of winter SURFERS and Scuba Divers wear wet suits when they go in the water. If you are taking a dip in the water in the middle of winter, I'd still wear a "spring" suit (a short sleeved wet suit) in the winter at a minimum.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
the water now is probably in the low to mid 50s, which is cold.
Correction: the winter Ocean water temps in SO.Calif. are typically 57 to 60 degrees. Yes, that is still cold and you will wear a wet suit. But the way they make wet suits these days is very comfortable and easy to swim or surf in. Surfers in So.Calif. do not typically to wear hoods. That is true in No.Calif. Not necessary in SoCalif.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:11 PM

How about shark attacks?Does this happen often in California waters?

Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM

No. Shark attacks are VERY rare is So.Calif. More common in No.Calif. where there are a lot of Great Whites; however, it's still NOT common.

But I won't lie to you....there HAVE been shark attacks in both NoCalif and SoCalif. Again, it's VERY rare.

Go to the San Diego forum and look for this thread. It was posted by a guy from Philadelphia. This might help you get a sense for what it's like relocating form Philly to San Diego:

"Warning to relocators-- SD's winters proabaly not what you think" a thread posted by Philly2sddude.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:40 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,101,947 times
i'd be more worried about an earthquake than a shark attack, and i'm not even really worried about earthquakes.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 PM

I'm in north Philly,and i hate the snow trust me,the cold i never mind,but the snow its so pointless,and i don't believe in global warming,yea like 2 days ago we got like 26 inches an snow another 18 to 24,my car is getting a beating,and to think i was living in Miami 3 months ago
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles