U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 03:43 PM

4 posts, read 41,914 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Me, my husband and son are moving to the Culver City Area in May (my husband has a job transfer). We are moving from Scotland.

We have researched the Culver City area and are researching cost of accommodation but I was curious about what extras we will need to pay in addition to rent. For example here we have to pay
- electricity
- gas
- Council Tax (water etc)
- Home Insurance

In addition to the essentials we also pay for Cable TV, telephone and internet connections.

So basically am looking for information on what needs to be paid in addition to rent with, if possible, a rough idea of prices?

Many Thanks

Yvonne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 06:18 PM

571 posts, read 1,671,619 times
Water + trash is usually paid by the apartment complex.

My power was always $250 and it comes every 2 months. However my in-laws in the same apartment building as us would be $150. But then again we did have a computer and a big screen TV that we left on constantly and ran the A/C almost all night as well. lol. I would say average is probably $80-100 a month for an apartment. More for a house or if you have a larger house that uses lots of electronics and/or run the A/C or heater alot.

Gas is always like $5 a month for me. Depends on how much you cook (if gas stove).. and if you have to heat a water heater or not (condo or house vs. apartment in which I guess the complex would pay) My MIL cooks alot more often (like huge Mexican catering events from scratch that took days - and even dinner taking several hours and multiple burners at times) and also I think at their old house they had to pay to heat the water heater and she would pay more like $40. I would say $10 for the average family is probably normal for an apartment. Maybe $30 for a house.

I paid $50 for middle-speed internet and basic phone service through AT&T.
However when I moved areas AT&T was no longer available and the best package Verizon had was about $80 for the same because their phone is MUCH more expensive.

Dish Network & DirecTV all start at around $30 promo about $60 after. We paid $120 for DVR, HD access and every single premium movie package. Now that we moved to a townhome we bought - HOA doesn't allow a satellite dish and we had to get Time Warner. Now we pay $150 for about the same + internet. And no longer have a home phone. It really depends on what utilities are in your area. It's not always the same from company to company.

Home insurance does not apply unless you are purchasing. But I pay only $40 a month for home insurance. Renters insurance is about the same or even cheaper.

Apartment
- Power - $100 a month average
- Phone - $20-50 a month (depending on which phone companies you get in your area)
- Internet - $20-50 a month (mostly depending on speed)
- TV - $30-130 a month (depending on how many channels you want and if you get cable or Satellite)
- Renters Insurance (if desired) - $30 a month
- Gas - $5-10 a month

House
- Water & Power - $150 a month average
- Phone - $20-50 a month (depending on which phone companies you get in your area)
- Internet - $20-50 a month (mostly depending on speed)
- TV - $30-130 a month (depending on how many channels you want and if you get cable or Satellite)
- Homeowners Insurance (if desired) - $40 a month
- Gas - $20-30 a month

The main companies you can research are:
SoCalGas
Los Angeles Department of Water & Power
Time Warner Cable (offers TV & internet)
DirecTV (offers satellite TV)
Dish Network (offers satellite TV)
Charter Internet (offers internet & digital phone)
Verizon (offers internet & landline phone & can bundle TV through DirecTV or in some areas try 'FIOS' TV)
AT&T (offers internet & landline phone & I believe also has TV)

And I reccomend Craigslist for finding places for rent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles