U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 04:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,637 times

Advertisements

I am moving to L.A. with my girlfriend and I only have about $8,000. She has about $15,000 saved but needs to keep alot of it for loan payments. Will it be possible for me to get started with $8,000? And will I have a really hard time finding a job?

Any help anyone can give me on this will be truly appreciated. Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 04:22 PM

26,346 posts, read 80,791,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defyingsayles View Post
I am moving to L.A. with my girlfriend and I only have about $8,000. She has about $15,000 saved but needs to keep alot of it for loan payments. Will it be possible for me to get started with $8,000? And will I have a really hard time finding a job?

Any help anyone can give me on this will be truly appreciated. Thank you.
Almost anything is "possible". The lower the standard of living you are willing to accept, the longer you will be able so manage on $8K. Skid row bums go for years with less.

What does "hard time finding a job" mean?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:20 PM

363 posts, read 919,983 times
If you are already moving here, you'll have to make do. If I were you, I'd move to a cheaper city.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 PM

364 posts, read 863,054 times
Now is not the time to move to L.A. - or anywhere in California. That $8000 will go fast and there are hardly any jobs available where you can replenish that.

Hate to tell you that but it's the truth.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 PM

571 posts, read 1,672,489 times
omg.. second time in 2 days that I forgot to log in before typing out my response and it disapeared once I clicked submit =( You can get a 1br or studio in a good, safe area (Northridge, Burbank, North Hollywood, Glendale, Pasadena, etc.) for 700-1100. Might not be the biggest or fanciest place but will be a decent starter place. Not sure where you are moving from but I know in some areas - such as Texas - there are mostly big apartment complexes with property management type companies running them that require extensive background and credit checks to move in. Either that or the smaller type places (2-15 units) are usually run-down and in not-so-great areas. Out here it's quite different. I would say the average # of units is 15-20 and most apartments are much more lax about doing extensive income checks. You should be able to just explain your situation and let them do a credit check and be OK. Or for ultimate flexibility look for a guest house or back house type situation where a family is renting it out. In the good areas anyway - they are often very nice and cute and remodeled. Usually a bit small but good for starting out. And they may be more willing to accept a short-term lease until you get on your feet. Or you can try subletting. I wouldn't use anything other than Craigslist. What specifically would you like to know..? I would say it's more than possible to make it with that much for quite a while. ALOT of people come out here with much less than that. I'm a homeowner now, but back in the day when hubby and I first left his mom's house for our first place we were both making little more than minimum wage and paying $950 a month for rent; taking the bus and hardly having any expenses except for bus passes, community college fees, groceries, power, phone, internet and TV. Then my husband lost his job and I was struggling to handle it on my own for a few months but we made it through and look at us now..

Old 02-15-2010, 09:51 PM

3 posts, read 4,637 times
Thanks so much for all the help. We have been looking at a lot of apartments on Craigslist and I think we are pretty clear on the living situation. I am just really worried about finding a job. I hurt my back, so I can't do anything physically strenuous and can't wait tables. Do you think it's going to be impossible for me to find a job?

Old 02-15-2010, 09:53 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,078,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by defyingsayles View Post
Thanks so much for all the help. We have been looking at a lot of apartments on Craigslist and I think we are pretty clear on the living situation. I am just really worried about finding a job. I hurt my back, so I can't do anything physically strenuous and can't wait tables. Do you think it's going to be impossible for me to find a job?
Depends on your background.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:39 PM

10,630 posts, read 22,757,144 times
No, it won't be impossible for you to land a job, but it is tough these days. It sounds like you have a good savings cushion, so try to live as cheaply as possible while you look for work. Check out the temp agencies and see if they can get you set up with anything. Even a few temp jobs here and then will help make the money last that much longer. Yes, the job situation is really bad, but anything's possible. Just expect it to take a long time (although you may get lucky).

Old 02-16-2010, 07:52 AM

377 posts, read 574,727 times
I'm actually considering the same thing. I was born and raised in LA and I've been gone for quite a few years and now I'm thinking about moving back. I will have about 8k also but I am worried about the job market. Thankfully I can stay with my grandmother for a bit. Does anyone have an idea of how legal administrative market? I've seen tons of postings both on craigslist and on job boards, and some agencies have lists of legal assistant/paralegal jobs, but I know how agencies can be. Even if the market is bad, looks like there are tons more jobs available there, than where I now.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 AM

10,630 posts, read 22,757,144 times
Jeepchic, not sure about the market at the moment, but my paralegal friend was laid off from her job last year and had trouble finding another position. She did find work eventually, although it took awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or