Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 08:51 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,118,505 times

Advertisements

I like it here.

This is funny: "I'm tired of seeing them give security guards the same authority as police (everyone is afraid of authority here), but I do get a kick out of it when I make fun of them to their faces when they get bossy." You do realize that a lot of the armed guards are off-duty/retired cops, don't you? And those guards at the film shoots? Read this:
http://www.theinsider.com/news/22869...ilm_set_guards I guess those guards were complaining about people like you.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 PM

215 posts, read 770,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I like it here.

This is funny: "I'm tired of seeing them give security guards the same authority as police (everyone is afraid of authority here), but I do get a kick out of it when I make fun of them to their faces when they get bossy." You do realize that a lot of the armed guards are off-duty/retired cops, don't you? And those guards at the film shoots? Read this:
LAPD bans police uniforms for film set guards at The Insider I guess those guards were complaining about people like you.

Why? Did something I wrote make it sound like I wanted to break into a film set?

Couldn't care less about guards at film shoots. I'm talking about security guards who ride bicycles in downtown LA and walk around the subway. Those guys are really funny when they want to be tough. I love watching LA people cower in their presence.

I once had an actual cop tell me I couldn't stand within one foot of the edge of a subway platform because I might jump and kill myself. I asked him if he really believed that someone who wanted to kill himself couldn't make a two foot jump? He was bewildered so he pointed to a sign and told me the rule was right there, so I walked over there and pointed out that it wasn't on the sign and asked him to find it for me. He got frustrated and walked away so I purposely made fun of him for turning this into the nanny state. He turned red, and hurried off.

Though I have seen the guards at film sets you mentioned. They actually wear their ex-uniforms and drive motorcycles that look identical to police motorcycles. When I jay walk in front of them when I'm heading to work and I watch their faces turn red because they can’t give me a ticket.

This place is a joke.

Last edited by ANAPA; 02-15-2010 at 09:39 PM..

Old 02-15-2010, 10:05 PM

22 posts, read 47,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Why? Did something I wrote make it sound like I wanted to break into a film set?

Couldn't care less about guards at film shoots. I'm talking about security guards who ride bicycles in downtown LA and walk around the subway. Those guys are really funny when they want to be tough. I love watching LA people cower in their presence.

I once had an actual cop tell me I couldn't stand within one foot of the edge of a subway platform because I might jump and kill myself. I asked him if he really believed that someone who wanted to kill himself couldn't make a two foot jump? He was bewildered so he pointed to a sign and told me the rule was right there, so I walked over there and pointed out that it wasn't on the sign and asked him to find it for me. He got frustrated and walked away so I purposely made fun of him for turning this into the nanny state. He turned red, and hurried off.

Though I have seen the guards at film sets you mentioned. They actually wear their ex-uniforms and drive motorcycles that look identical to police motorcycles. When I jay walk in front of them when I'm heading to work and I watch their faces turn red because they can’t give me a ticket.

This place is a joke.

WOW... you sure seem like a fine upstanding citizen. How about a little more humbleness and a little less "look at me im a badass" tomorrow for breakfast. I get your upset, but you couldn't possibly be more of an a$$ if you tried.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:07 PM

Anyways it seems that the most issues are regarding the city of LA, and were poverty seems to be.
What about higher income cities (beverly hills, calabasas etc.) Is it the same there also?

Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 PM

672 posts, read 2,167,689 times
Why do people from NYC come here? Before they arrive, they know that they will hate the place. They move here and hate their lives. They go home and are glad to be gone. They are none the better for it, and our lives are made worse because for the year they are here; we have to put up with their moaning and bad driving.

Why don't they instead read any one of a thousand books by New Yorkers about the horror that is L.A. and then save themselves a wasted year.

I'd prefer never again to have to listen to one more fleeing New Yorker whine about how L.A. isn't just like NYC only with more sunshine.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:45 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,113,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysAK View Post
Anyways it seems that the most issues are regarding the city of LA, and were poverty seems to be.
What about higher income cities (beverly hills, calabasas etc.) Is it the same there also?
if you can afford to live in calabasas or beverly hills, money is most likely not an issues for you. i think the biggest issue with LA is that people want to buy a home to raise a family and send their kids to good schools. desirable areas that offer safety and good schools that are reasonable distances from employment centers are very expensive (ie south pasadena, beverly hills, santa monica, south bay, etc.). even desriable communities that aren't reasonable distances from job centers are expensive (santa clarita, thousand oaks, woodland hills). to find neighborhoods with reasonable home prices, you have to compromise on school quality, safety, and/or any hope of being within 40 miles of major job centers. i think that is why many people hate LA.

if you're young and don't have to worry about these things and can afford to rent near your work, LA has so much to offer.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:48 PM

family owns a internet company, there will be no need to commute to work.
Im just looking for a " clean" area.
Palm beach minus the old people lol. I live in palm beach and its great, its just too slow and too old.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysAK View Post
family owns a internet company, there will be no need to commute to work.
Im just looking for a " clean" area.
Palm beach minus the old people lol. I live in palm beach and its great, its just too slow and too old.
can you afford a house that costs at least $800k and still have money left over for other activities? if the answer is yes, there's a pretty good change you'll like it here.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
can you afford a house that costs at least $800k and still have money left over for other activities? if the answer is yes, there's a pretty good change you'll like it here.
Yes.
sounds good... question is where do i want to be???

Old 02-16-2010, 12:06 AM

come visit and find out for yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles