Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 AM

22 posts, read 47,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Many wealthy people hate LA..try places Like Newport Beach CA, Greenwich CT, Manhattan NYC.. Aspen Colo,..Lake Tahoe CA.....poll many of those people..ask them what they think of LA..it won't be pretty. People dislike LA because its current quality of lifestyle is well within question. LA was fantabulous about twenty years ago.. If you have big money in the LA area and you have a choice of where to live...it's pretty obvious..Malibu
So the wealthy people also hate beverly hills, calabasas etc..?

Old 02-21-2010, 11:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysAK View Post
So the wealthy people also hate beverly hills, calabasas etc..?
They probably don't hate it but they might not be wealthy or high earning if they didn't live there as the demand for their services elsewhere might be considerably less. If these guys are executives or have high paying jobs in the entertainment industry, then it is imperative that they live in the LA metro or perhaps another big city with jobs for them.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:19 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Most of my friends who still love L.A. live on the beach in Malibu and travel all of the time. That's the only place I'd live if I had to live there.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:30 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjongalt View Post
Most of my friends who still love L.A. live on the beach in Malibu and travel all of the time. That's the only place I'd live if I had to live there.
Many who find that constantly rebuilding houses that get splattered by Malibu mudslides or fires every few years eventually opt for places like Manhattan Beach, or further afield down in Palos Verdes Estates.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,606,623 times
Trade-offs in relocation are part of life: weather vs. security, family vs. job, schools vs. commute, etc. Every time I drop in to this forum, posters are offering the same advice based upon personal experience and good observations, yet the same questions professing disbelief prove that such sage advice is not routinely considered.

I wish there were a "sticky" forum here excerpting the best summations from others. My own would be: yes the weather's sunny 340 days a year (discounting beach fog); yes it's always smoggy with invisible ozone problem once you get 5 miles from the coast on all but rainy or windy days; yes there's fires in the hills every year now; yes the entertainment industry is a genuine draw for job-seekers of same; yes the city now is 60 % Hispanic and 40% foreign born; yes there's always a million things to do; yes there's nice housing for the wealthiest demographics; yes it's far more spread out than anyone has ever told you; yes the beaches are fun; yes the public transportation is grossly inadequate to the needs of L.A.'s 5 million (and 10 million county-wide) population and yes it's not really 24-hour-worthy enough to plan late-nighters; yes the traffic congestion is worse than anyone has ever told you; yes the choices of different cuisine restaurants are excellent; yes the gangs are not restricted to "ghettos" and pervade into what formerly were middle class neighborhoods as befits the city that is ground zero to gangs' resurgence nationwide; yes our unemployment rate is higher than the national average and catching up with Flint MI; yes parts of it like Santa Monica and West Hollywood are both walkable and quite nice; yes the business-unfriendliness of L.A. borders upon sadism; yes the war against good education waged by administrators borders upon sadism as well; and finally, yes if you're a rich kid living with your parents and haven't concerns of taxes, family, commutes and paying for housing, you're gonna love it. Me, I'll eventually be voting with my feet.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:33 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,773 times
Some people love L.A. others hate it. I suggest that people who are willing to want to move here first come out and visit and see what they think of it before making a choice. I neither love nor hate L.A. I've been here for a long time as some of you already know. There are things that I really like about L.A. and things that I don't like about it. L.A. is a world class city with tons of things to see and do. I won't focus on the not so good aspects as I don't think it will be good for me. For now I am still here and will make the most of what I have.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:52 PM

215 posts, read 771,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysAK View Post
WOW... you sure seem like a fine upstanding citizen. How about a little more humbleness and a little less "look at me im a badass" tomorrow for breakfast. I get your upset, but you couldn't possibly be more of an a$$ if you tried.

Yes, because jay walking when I'm in a rush to get to work in front of security guards who turn red from it is really bad ass!!!

Wait,.. no... I was pointing out how silly this place is and that makes me a bad ass?

If 9/11 happened in LA the people here would start eating each other before they realized it wasn't actually the end of the world. So I figure by noon half the population would be gone from the feeding frenzy.

Don't believe me..? The Lakers win the championship and LA rioted, bashing in windows, fighting cops. The Yankees won the World Series a few months later, two million people show up to their celebration and no one riots, no one gets hurt.

Last edited by ANAPA; 02-28-2010 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I'd take a 100% increase in crime for a 50% decrease in traffic.

Were you born in LA?

Because... Err... wow...

Old 02-28-2010, 10:15 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ANAPA View Post
Don't believe me..? The Lakers win the championship and LA rioted, bashing in windows, fighting cops. The Yankees won the World Series a few months later, two million people show up to their celebration and no one riots, no one gets hurt.
YouTube - ..Yankees Manhattan Victory Riot

detriot (1984 tigers)
DETROIT RIOT 1984 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/24420819@N06/3926838996/ - broken link)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24420819@N06/3926835934/in/set-72157622388792846/ (broken link)

philthydelphia
YouTube - Phillies Fans Climb on a Firetruck Pt 3

YouTube - Boston Celtics riot

I remember all of these cities having riots following a championship.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:27 PM

So people calmly walking around in NYC after someone lights what looks like a turned over garbage can on fire is a riot to you just because someone used the word riot when they posted their own seven seconds of video on youtube???

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles