Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 02:52 PM

103 posts, read 203,822 times

Advertisements

My grandpa was born and raised in the Lincoln Heights neighborhood of East Los Angeles. Lincoln and Boyle Heights use to be all Italian, until the Chinese pushed them out, then Mexicans pushed out Chinese. But unitil about the 1950's, that area of LA was the "Little Italy". My grandpa and uncles show me pictures all the time when they were younger. Pretty nest stuff because all the Little Italys are on the East Coast,St. Louis, etc..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 02:56 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,770,855 times
I was taught that Boyle Heights started out as a well-to-do Jewish enclave.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:21 PM

305 posts, read 768,443 times
There might be another designated Little Italy this year.

Big Night for 'Little Italy' :: blogdowntown

DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES — At the Los Angeles Historic Italian Hall Foundation's First Annual "Taste Of Italy" on Saturday night, Councilman Tom LaBonge won over the Pico House crowd with a prototype district sign that read "Little Italy." It was presented in between opera sets and servings of wine, pastas and pizza.
The borders of what would make up a Little Italy would certainly take debate. The Italian community in Los Angeles was originally centered in land that is today occupied by Chinatown.

Still, one of the signs could go by the Italian Hall, where the Foundation plans to build a museum on the second floor.
The space is slated for a 2010 opening, but dates to open a museum there have slipped before.
The effort to build a museum that tells the stories about Italian-American Angelenos has been ongoing since 1988, when L.A.'s Italian community began a support group, Friends of the Italian Hall. They in turn became the Historic Italian Hall Foundation in 1993.
Outside the Pico House, once owned by a Giuseppe Pagliano, tables were filled with people having coffees and desserts, finding shared bonds going back several generations.
"It's like going to a wedding and finding out you have a lot of relatives," one man is overheard as saying. "I didn't know we had such a big Los Angeles family."

Old 02-17-2010, 03:42 PM

276 posts, read 745,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersguy31 View Post
My grandpa was born and raised in the Lincoln Heights neighborhood of East Los Angeles. Lincoln and Boyle Heights use to be all Italian, until the Chinese pushed them out, then Mexicans pushed out Chinese. But unitil about the 1950's, that area of LA was the "Little Italy". My grandpa and uncles show me pictures all the time when they were younger. Pretty nest stuff because all the Little Italys are on the East Coast,St. Louis, etc..

The chinese don't usually push people out. Usually what happens is, the old timers make their money and move on to other places and get scattered that way. It just happens that there is some overlap before the old timers are completely gone. And then there are a few dedicated ones that remember the first days they came and stay in their areas no matter who comes in and manage to control it to this day.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:56 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,103,656 times
here's a good article about the transition between jews to mexicans in boyle heights from The Times a few months ago.
One of a kind in Boyle Heights - latimes.com

Old 02-17-2010, 09:12 PM

276 posts, read 745,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
here's a good article about the transition between jews to mexicans in boyle heights from The Times a few months ago.
One of a kind in Boyle Heights - latimes.com
This is a nice little article...Thanks for posting it!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:49 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,225,046 times
There was a little Italy on Bunker Hill, but it was destroyed in order to build office buildings.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:47 PM

8,680 posts, read 17,194,381 times
Many west coast cities have or used to have a Little Italy--San Francisco's is pretty well known. Sacramento had one, a neighborhood called Southside, until the Italian Catholic church in the neighborhood moved to East Sacramento, and much of the Italian community moved with it. The area was also a Portuguese neighborhood, and while the Portuguese Catholic church is still there, the neighborhood is mostly dispersed to Land Park and the Pocket area, much of which was Portuguese farms before becoming suburbs.

Southside became the Asian neighborhood after Sacramento demolished its Chinatown and Japantown in the 1950s-60s. There is still a strong Asian presence, including Buddhist and Tenrikyo churches and a lot of businesses ad offices whose signs are primarily in Chinese.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 AM

1 posts, read 3,507 times

Old 02-18-2010, 09:22 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,151,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakersguy31 View Post
Exactly, we used to have some good friends, the guy worked with my dad and they lived in Boyle Heights during the second world war. Shortly after the war they left Boyle Heights. Actually the hispanics moved in before the Chinese. yes, by the 50s most of the old Italian families had spread their wings.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles