Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 10:59 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,407,717 times

Advertisements

Silverlake?? HIPSTER SCUMMMMMMM

just kidding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,633,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liutenantdan View Post
Cross a particular street and all of a sudden the hood rats jump out from behind trash cans and make menacing faces at you and their homeboys all stare at you like your existence offends them.
Being from the midwest, I can understand what you mean about turning a corner and boom it's a different feel however, I don't like how you switched you language up to describe what you consider trashy and poor. I won't say what but there's some undertones there...

Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
Oh no... not the evil n**gers and Latinos?!??!

Why don't you stop using those code words and be honest.

Maybe you shouldn't be a spineless racist. That might work.

Geesh.

^^^This! I just seen this after I posted. You said it a little more harshly but yeah, that's what I got out of it.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Oh, wow.

This thread is a year old.

Hmnn...
Older than that. Just noticed myself.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:53 PM

Don't fear Hollywood...

Fear North Hollywood... exactly for a few blocks it's not gentrified at all like Hollywood...

and lot's more "ETHNICS" as you call em in the midwest .

Old 02-23-2013, 02:00 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,270,820 times
Quote:
I'm a bit discouraged with the housing search. I'm a midwestern guy, computer programmer, I've lived in downtown LA near USC (hated it), Huntington Beach about 1/4 mile from the beach (loved it), currently living in redondo beach near PVB & Prospect Ave (love it).

Started surfing over a year ago. Love it. Every weekend I try to go surfing, hiking, road tripping, cruising along the beach.

Venice creeps me out.

My girl lives in Belmont shores in long beach, her place rocks. She found a decent studio for relatively cheap.

My work is currently in Hollywood, near Santa Monica Blvd & La Brea. Hollywood seems very trashy, to put it plainly. Aside from Los Feliz north of Franklin Ave, I've had a hard time finding anything that doesn't give me the heebs.

I'm a really nice guy not looking to get screwed, not interested in seeing that jaded unfriendly look in peoples eyes..

A park would be nice. Friendly neighbors would be cool. An overall feeling of safety would be cool. I mean,somewhere I can walk at night without being hassled. Somewhere with enough parking to have a visitor on the weekends.

Culver city? 3rd st in west la?

What about West Hollywood? Silverlake? Parts of Los Feliz, silverlake, and most of Hollywood I wouldn't touch with a 3000 foot pole.

It's so hard to decide. I love trees, sand, skies, hills, beaches, rocks. LA = buildings. But for now I need to work in Hollywood and save up until I can make any further decisions.

I thought I'd be able to live in Hollywood, but it's just such a dump... What's my best option considering the above details? I've been in California for about 3.5 years now.
I would say most of Hollywood is not that bad. SM and La Brea is an exceptionally depressing intersection.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:06 PM

Santa Monica and La Brea is exceptionally depressing...

Have you been to many parts of L.A?..

Old 02-25-2013, 09:47 AM

10,084 posts, read 15,821,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by git45 View Post
I would say most of Hollywood is not that bad. SM and La Brea is an exceptionally depressing intersection.
Care to elaborate? Seems like an alright intersection to me.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:33 AM

13 posts, read 19,163 times
Default I know how you feel

Quote:
I'm a bit discouraged with the housing search. I'm a midwestern guy, computer programmer, I've lived in downtown LA near USC (hated it), Huntington Beach about 1/4 mile from the beach (loved it), currently living in redondo beach near PVB & Prospect Ave (love it).

Started surfing over a year ago. Love it. Every weekend I try to go surfing, hiking, road tripping, cruising along the beach.

Venice creeps me out.

My girl lives in Belmont shores in long beach, her place rocks. She found a decent studio for relatively cheap.

My work is currently in Hollywood, near Santa Monica Blvd & La Brea. Hollywood seems very trashy, to put it plainly. Aside from Los Feliz north of Franklin Ave, I've had a hard time finding anything that doesn't give me the heebs.

I'm a really nice guy not looking to get screwed, not interested in seeing that jaded unfriendly look in peoples eyes..

A park would be nice. Friendly neighbors would be cool. An overall feeling of safety would be cool. I mean,somewhere I can walk at night without being hassled. Somewhere with enough parking to have a visitor on the weekends.

Culver city? 3rd st in west la?

What about West Hollywood? Silverlake? Parts of Los Feliz, silverlake, and most of Hollywood I wouldn't touch with a 3000 foot pole.

It's so hard to decide. I love trees, sand, skies, hills, beaches, rocks. LA = buildings. But for now I need to work in Hollywood and save up until I can make any further decisions.

I thought I'd be able to live in Hollywood, but it's just such a dump... What's my best option considering the above details? I've been in California for about 3.5 years now.
Try being a black Ned Flanders living in South LA for four years. I know about being a nice guy. Why don't you look for places to live in the Valley, I know it'll be a little bit of drive. But peace of mind is priceless. You need to get out of the city and move to the suburbs.

West Hollywood is actually pretty nice and ignore what people say about the gay scene that is prevalent there. Most gay people are more concerned with their own lives than worrying about bothering people. I am the straightest man on the planet, but I would rather live in a clean and peaceful gay community like West Hollywood than to live around ghetto or low class people any day. Gay people keep to themselves and their own culture and they won't bother you. I've been to West Hollywood a lot and I have mad respect for that community as they are being who they are.

Go GAY PEOPLE! I didn't mean become gay, but just celebrating people who are being themselves and being proud of it.

Meanwhile, most of them places you named are solid areas to live but are too close to the inner city. I love living in the Valley because its far from everything and thugs are too lazy to come way out here to commit crimes. Just a little humor.

But seriously Woodland Hills, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Valley Village, Sylmar (that may be too far), Northridge, etc. are all in the Valley and you may find some peace of mind in this part of LA.

Parts of Santa Monica are nice and a little bit a ways from the inner city and there's beaches there too. Culver City is nice and quiet.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:32 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,826,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDayGuy View Post
Oh no... not the evil n**gers and Latinos?!??!

Why don't you stop using those code words and be honest.

Maybe you shouldn't be a spineless racist. That might work.

Geesh.

Or a homophobe. OH no, a dude hit on me! I wonder what the endless women who get hit on by dudes and catcalled on a daily basis must feel like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles