U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 02-01-2009, 07:25 PM

850 posts, read 1,304,773 times
They don't call SGV "Asian Oasis" for nothing.

Good post Macross21!

The Asians' communities are so strong in LA/OC that there are segregated communities. Cantonese Chinese in Monterey Park, Alhambra, and San Gabriel. Vietnamese Chinese in Rosemead, El Monte, and Montebello. You have Vietnamese in Westminster, Garden Grove, Santa Ana and Van Nuys. You have Taiwanese in Arcadia, Diamond Bar, and Cerritos. You have Americanized Chinese in Irvine. You have Koreans in Torrance, Roland Heights and Koreatown, and Japanese in J-town. These segregations are a result of massive Asian populations. They start to form their own ethnic/racial communities (sometimes even cities). Remember these are cities we are talking about, not neighborhoods (except for Koreatown and J-town).

One thing I notice about Asian Oasis from the rest of SF, NYC, Boston and SD is that they don't need to have restaurants, shops, etc. to gear toward the white folks. They really have their own economies going.

Unread 02-01-2009, 08:04 PM

5,465 posts, read 7,350,543 times
The San Fernando Valley and the Glendale/La Crescenta area are also gaining a lot of Asian communities and businesses. Panorama City has a Filipino shopping area, Glendale has an entire mall that's geared towards the Filipino community. Glendale has a big Korean supermarket. There are other big Korean supermarkets in Northridge and along Sherman Way in Reseda so I assume they must have quite a few Koreans in those areas too. (The "Wall of Kimchi" is usually a big hint that the market is Korean. )

I love going to the SGV. I usually go shopping there (and eat out) at least a couple of times a month -- and I'm not Asian. I happen to love Asian foods, the big Asian supermarkets, the Vietnamese/French bakeries and the uniqueness of the area.

Unread 02-04-2009, 11:07 AM

54,163 posts, read 11,118,228 times
I have so many pictures of the Hsi Lai Temple in Hacienda Heights saved in my attachments. I should show this again.

This is one of the largest Temple in the western hemisphere

Welcome to Hsi Lai Temple!

Hsi Lai Buddist Temple, Hacienda Heights - jenjung - Photoblog.com

I am not a Buddist,been in So Cal since 1980. I was there for a meeting.They have large conference rooms. I was absolutely mesmerized!

The homes above are very expensive with breathtaking views.

East of Hacienda Heights is Rowland Heights,Diamond Bar

There is a Hsi Lai University in Rosemead Ca. The So Cal Edison,A golf course and a newly built Target is nearby

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_the_West

Last edited by VillageLife; 02-04-2009 at 11:25 AM..

Unread 06-27-2009, 08:51 PM

11,490 posts, read 16,256,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
For some weird reason, I find myself intrigued by the San Gabriel Valley. I've been doing a lot of exploring in this area lately. I'm definitely a mountain person, not a beach type, and I took advantage of the warm, clear, smog free weather this weekend to do a lot of hiking in the Angeles National Forest. So far I've been up to Mt Baldy, various spots along Hwy 2, and San Gabriel Canyon (Hwy 39 going up from Azusa). I love the views of the San Gabriel mountains from the valley floor-- absolutely stunning-- that is at times like this week when there actually isn't thick clouds of smog blocking the view. I like Pasadena, not so much the part of Old Town that feels like an outdoor shopping mall, but the rest of it. But Pasadena is just the tip of the iceberg, I've discovered. And from what I've seen driving around on various roads (mainly Colorado, Foothill, Huntington, Arrow, Azusa) throughout the lesser known towns in the SGV, I like large swaths of what I see.

It's very hard to describe, more of a "feeling" than a logical analysis. To me, much of downtown/central/east/south LA feels like a giant hole, a place to be avoided for one reason or another. The westside feels either too (I don't know what the word is) "foo foo" or ugly and depressing (ie-- Palms), the San Fernando valley feels polished on the edges and rotten at the core, the South Bay is okay but doesn't excite me much (probably because no mountains), most of Orange County with just a few exceptions feels too "blah," and further east in the Inland Empire feels too scary. Some of the places I've seen in the San Gabriel Valley feel "just right." Old suburbs, tons of old style "Main Street" drags, strip malls filled with cool mom and pop ethnic businesses, a lot of mid-century architecture, awesome mountain views, close to beautiful canyons in the San Gabriel Mtns with tons of hiking spots (and at much higher elevations and more dramatic terrain than what the Santa Monica Mountains offers), a lot of diversity in general, very down to earth compared to the western part of LA county.

I'm not totally enamoured with it either. I've seen how bad the smog can get in the past and it can be putrid and disgusting. The traffic heading westward in the morning and eastward in the evening is horrendous. It seems like you'd be throwing your life in the garbage can 5 days a week. It seems like only the westernmost part of the SGV is even commutable to downtown < 1hr, and entire SGV is out of commuting range to jobs in west LA at reasonable hours. It feels like the place has definitely gone downhill over the years-- although I do like just a little bit of grit and kind of an old, but not too old feel. There was a TON of gang graffiti spray painted on the rocks at the trailhead site north of Azusa. And then the problem is the SGV, as much as I like it, is still in LA, still with all the same problems-- cost of living, smog, traffic, overcrowding etc, but unlike west & central LA it's so far out there it's not even very close to most of the "Big City" attractions and high salary jobs that make LA special in the first place. You still have Los Angeles cost of living, but with a Tucson economy (and for some weird reason the SGV reminds me a lot of Tucson). It seems like it's the kind of place where maybe with the possible exception of Pasadena there isn't really much of a logical reason to move there unless if you're from there. But I always like to think, "What if..."?

Am I "off" on my thinking? Please let me know. How do most people in the SGV "make it"? Where do they work?
Pretty interesting comments.

I'm curious though, would you really have to commute to work in Los Angeles itself? I mean, not ALL of the jobs are always in L.A., right?

Seems like there must be all kinds of other businesses and offices throughout the SGV to avoid having to do that as well, right?

Or is just your specific situation that requires you to be in L.A. itself?

Unread 06-29-2009, 09:33 AM

9,821 posts, read 12,847,118 times
No, there are plenty of jobs in the SGV (lots of corporate HQ plus lots of other businesses and offices) but it may be that vegaspilgrim's particular field was more oriented towards the west side. (the film industry, etc.)

I didn't read all of the older posts on this thread, but the SGV is fairly large, and there are some big difference between the east and the western parts. The western parts of the SGV are an easy commute to downtown LA, and not that far away from a pure mileage standpoint, too. I have a feeling that when vegaspilgrim was talking about high salary jobs and "big city attractions" he was probably thinking primarily of the stuff way to the west (and not so much downtown, which is easy), which is admittedly a much longer trek, both from a logistical and also in some ways a psychological standpoint.

Unread 06-30-2009, 10:48 AM

54,163 posts, read 11,118,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
No, there are plenty of jobs in the SGV (lots of corporate HQ plus lots of other businesses and offices) but it may be that vegaspilgrim's particular field was more oriented towards the west side. (the film industry, etc.)

I didn't read all of the older posts on this thread, but the SGV is fairly large, and there are some big difference between the east and the western parts. The western parts of the SGV are an easy commute to downtown LA, and not that far away from a pure mileage standpoint, too. I have a feeling that when vegaspilgrim was talking about high salary jobs and "big city attractions" he was probably thinking primarily of the stuff way to the west (and not so much downtown, which is easy), which is admittedly a much longer trek, both from a logistical and also in some ways a psychological standpoint.
Good obsevation,uptown
There is an area close to the 10 and the 710 in Monterey Park,it's the Corporate Center Drive,where a lot of businesses are there.

http://www.harrisonhsiao.com/files/3...(MP)%20pic.JPG

Unread 07-02-2009, 11:06 AM

68 posts, read 154,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
Wow! I even forgot I had this thread!

Thanks for coming here! you can tallk about the SGV,If I can answer to those questions,there are a few threads concerning this.So let it be!

I love Lake Arrowhead and want to know more about it! I am from Northern Cal and moved away to Houston, been here a long 7 years and going back to Cali on th 7th of July! YIPPIE!
Anyway I love the mountains so we are moving to Pine Mountain Club, do you know much about it? What is the difference between the 2 mountains , if any?

Unread 05-11-2010, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
Default looking at moving to the sgv

Iam looking at moving out to the San Gabriel Valley, my brother has been out there and he likes it and now he wants me to move with him. i will be moving from smaller town iowa. Im looking forward to the city life because i enjoy it much more. Does anybody have any advice for me on anything. regarding jobs, life, fun. i would like to know as much as possible. please respond. and thanks to any help.

Unread 05-11-2010, 03:42 PM

46,031 posts, read 34,791,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L_wiley2008 View Post
Iam looking at moving out to the San Gabriel Valley, my brother has been out there and he likes it and now he wants me to move with him. i will be moving from smaller town iowa. Im looking forward to the city life because i enjoy it much more. Does anybody have any advice for me on anything. regarding jobs, life, fun. i would like to know as much as possible. please respond. and thanks to any help.
Where will you live and what kind of a job will you be looking to get? San Gabiel Valley can be a fascinating place and lots of fun, but remember Ca has a very high unemployment rate. It doesn't make much difference what you do, jobs are hard to find, even min wage and you can't live on min wage in Calif.

You need to research this very carefully before you make a move that you may regret.

Nita

Unread 05-11-2010, 05:58 PM

4,740 posts, read 4,125,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
I have been to Claremont before, but for some reason I didn't like it. It felt almost too quaint, like one giant "antique-ville." But I might explore again, sometimes a place looks totally different to me the second or third time around...
Try visiting Claremont now. They still have the quaint little bakery/hardware store but the area west of downtown Claremont has a lot of nice restaurants and shops...a little like a smaller version of Old Town Pasadena. (About time! No In-n-Out's there!) It's been a long time coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles