Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 7,969 times

Advertisements

I am moving out to California in a few months around the LA area and I just wanted some basic knowledge on what parts of town are good and safe for a family to be raised and what parts of town to probably stay away from. Also, which sides are more affordable for a middle class family?

I dont know a whole lot of information about everything around that area so direct district names would help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 02:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Answer these questions:

Where is your job(s) going to be? (What hours? Can you work flex hours, like 6AM to 230PM)?
Rent or buy? Budget?
Kids? Ages?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
generally, middle class families tend to live in the san fernando valley. however, many have chosen to move even further away areas like santa clarita, palmdale, the inland empire.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 7,969 times
9-5 job, I believe its in or around culver city area. dont quote me on that. Dont have kids but I will be taking care of family member in summer. So basically just looking for something for me and my fiance to live comfortabley. ID say my maximum for rent would be 1200 a month. traffic doesnt really bother me. Im more looking for an ok and safe area to live where im not constantly on my feet.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumyetotrice View Post
9-5 job, I believe its in or around culver city area. dont quote me on that. Dont have kids but I will be taking care of family member in summer. So basically just looking for something for me and my fiance to live comfortabley. ID say my maximum for rent would be 1200 a month. traffic doesnt really bother me. Im more looking for an ok and safe area to live where im not constantly on my feet.
I've always wondered when people who work 9-5 take a lunch break. That is eight hours, 9-5.

Anyway, just look around Culver City and maybe a one or two city radius from Culver City.

HousingMaps

Old 02-25-2010, 11:22 PM

18 posts, read 46,120 times
Quote:

I'd check out Palms or around the Olympic/Sawtelle area which has got a nice vibe (many Japanese restaurants/groceries).

Old 02-26-2010, 10:21 AM

304 posts, read 931,432 times
Quote:
I am moving out to California in a few months around the LA area and I just wanted some basic knowledge on what parts of town are good and safe for a family to be raised and what parts of town to probably stay away from. Also, which sides are more affordable for a middle class family?

I dont know a whole lot of information about everything around that area so direct district names would help?
-------------------
Welcome to LA!
This is a great place to live.

Your questions are good but a little vague. There are many, many nice neighborhoods and areas and cities within LA County.

Where will you be working?
What is your budget for renting or buying?
What are your school needs?
Do you prefer an intown neighborhood where you can fall out the front door and be somewhere?
or
Do you prefer a bedroom community/suburban type location?

If you start with where you live now, that will help.
Thanks!

Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 AM

304 posts, read 931,432 times
Quote:
----------------------
Everything is doable but...

$1200 a month will be a neat trick on the West Side (near Culver City).
It will have to be an apt. If you can go to $1500 you'll have a better chance for a 2/2.

Have you asked your new employer where employees live near work for that price? I bet they have a long commute at that price. Human Services should be helpful.

Rental housing is not cheap here but there are loads of apts and condos for rent near Culver City for the many folks who work around there.

Commute times can be daunting and, of course, gas adds a lot of $ to your monthly nut. So, be sure to look at your whole budget. I heard that Consumer Reports has a chart of how much each kind of car takes to operate by the mile. Worth looking at.

Old 02-26-2010, 01:10 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I've always wondered when people who work 9-5 take a lunch break. That is eight hours, 9-5.

Anyway, just look around Culver City and maybe a one or two city radius from Culver City.

HousingMaps
Lunch break? Charles we are supposed to get a lunch break? I am marching up to HR this minute and let them know.

In our hospital a 12 hour shift starts 15 minutes before the hour and ends 15 minutes after the hour. For example my wife works 7PM to 7AM and she has to be here at 6:45pm and stay till 7:15am. To tell you the truth that works out good because each shift has time to discuss the patients.

I work 8am - 4:30pm (8.5 hours) for the all important lunch break or time I am able to spend here on City Data Forum.)

Does anyone even work 9 - 5 anymore? lol

Old 02-26-2010, 01:16 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Lunch break? Charles we are supposed to get a lunch break? I am marching up to HR this minute and let them know.

In our hospital a 12 hour shift starts 15 minutes before the hour and ends 15 minutes after the hour. For example my wife works 7PM to 7AM and she has to be here at 6:45pm and stay till 7:15am. To tell you the truth that works out good because each shift has time to discuss the patients.

I work 8am - 4:30pm (8.5 hours) for the all important lunch break or time I am able to spend here on City Data Forum.)

Does anyone even work 9 - 5 anymore? lol
Dolly will always work 9-5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles