Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,074,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockhetHD View Post
I am new to SoCal been here about 2 months. I am getting a new cell and the phone company gave me a choice of a area code 805 or 310 number? which would u get?
I live and work in LA. Is 310 really cooler than 805? I want to hear you all think?
Since you'll be living and working in L.A., get 310. My business dealings are almost exclusively in Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. As such, my mobile phone is 805. My clients feel comfortable knowing they're calling and using a local business (and not some L.A. firm ). Use the area code that makes most sense for what you do. If your personal and business dealings are in L.A., why distract your clients and contacts with an 805 area code?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:11 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Is long distance a factor anymore? Most people I know have mobil phones and just about everyone I know has a national plan. Long distance charges are a thing of the past. Home phones are a thing of the past if you ask me.
Do you know anyone over 60?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
get the 310 number if you live in LA or the SFV or South Bay. One of my friends kept his old 714 number even after he bought a home in Westchester. When he was remodeling he found that many contractors/tradesman would not return his calls for estimates because they assumed the job location was in the OC.
I can believe that. When I see a distant area code on my caller ID, 9 times out of 10 its someone trying to sell me something and I don't bother to pick up if I'm busy. The other time, its someone who moved to this area but still has their old area code.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:43 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Do you know anyone over 60?
My dad is in his 70's and my mom is in her late 60's. Why do you ask? They both have cell phones, internet, even Facebook accounts. They do have a home phone, but I would be hard pressed to know what the number is. Of their 8 kids we all just call the cell phones. Why does it matter on the age of someone? Technological advancement serves us all.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
My dad is in his 70's and my mom is in her late 60's. Why do you ask? They both have cell phones, internet, even Facebook accounts. They do have a home phone, but I would be hard pressed to know what the number is. Of their 8 kids we all just call the cell phones. Why does it matter on the age of someone? Technological advancement serves us all.
Because I know A LOT of old people and most of them still tend to have old ideas like "long distance is expensive". Most of them still have land lines too.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:01 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,328,356 times
Quote:
Because I know A LOT of old people and most of them still tend to have old ideas like "long distance is expensive". Most of them still have land lines too.
Maybe you should let them know that it is a new day and age and most mobil phone companies offer nation wide unlimited use phone service. The best part about it is that they can be on the go and still get through.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:11 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
You must know my parents. We were last people on the block to get push button phone (from rotary), last people to get a color TV, last people to get a VCR, last people to get an air conditioned car (not until 1987), last people to get a microwave, last people to get a clothes dryer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles